Army of the Potomac

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Silver Sabre
Last week I was able to visit a old stomping ground near Fredicksburg Va. since I was attending a Marine Corps conference up in Quantico. About ten years ago I was able to get a few three ringers and some lead slag in this tiny valley between two hillocks in the woods off of Interstate 95. I always wondered over the years if there was anything left as I did not do the area justice with my old Tesoro detector. Nowadays armed with a Minelab Excalibur I jumped into the woods from a newly laid parking lot and searched for the area I knew “they” were at from my hunt ten years prior.

I walked along the ridgeline of a meandering hilltop which may have been a footpath long ago, and stumbled upon some old hand formed bricks haphazardly strewn about under the leaves in places on a flat plateau. With mosquitoes buzzing and ticks crawling I did manage to find a very old piece of silver spoon and a flat button and old iron kettle pieces. But nothing definitive.
DSC00599.JPG
I was getting a bit tired as the Minelab is no lightweight and it was getting late in the afternoon so the woods were darking up a bit, so I decided to head back straight over some ridgelines and toward the sounds of traffic. I soon descended into a small valley and pondered that this may be the spot from before, so I slowed down and started to scan the center where in the past runoff from rains carved a small depression. It was nice to hear the detector sound off after a long silence and lead slag was soon in hand, then a foot away the first bullet sounded off.
DSC00598.JPG
I knew this was the spot, and started to work every inch slowly, as the time before I just ran thru and never had the opportunity to go back like I planned. As I flipped over the divot with my boot and saw the company badge lying in the dirt, I knew the relic hunting gods were treating me with a favor! The week before I lost a WW2 lapel pin I just purchased at a military show for 50 clams and I guess this was a payback from the Gods for being such a swell guy!

What I really need to I.D. are these pieces of some sort of tin. Some of the pieces have a copper threaded stud soldered onto the top. It was found within a few feet of the cap badge and some minne balls. Anyone have a clue on what was inside 147 years ago?

Semper Fi,
Bob
http://www.okinawarelics.com

Attachments

• DSC00599.JPG
    DSC00599.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC00598.JPG
    DSC00598.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 224
Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Interesting finds... the studded scrap is intruiquing. Maybe portions of a lamp or other such mundane contraption...

Nice company "B" identifier! I have a large "I" from my Indian Wars site...

Good luck with the ID

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The "B" is pretty sweet....Try and get some better pic's of the other piece,maybe indoor's,I'm sure it will get ID'd. Nice save's!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread