Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neanderthal brought up some points that interested me in the American Indian Artifiacts forum in regards to selling arrowheads. At first I was offended, but I read more of what he said and understood his viewpoint. I have many artifacts and don't worship them. They have value to me but not monetary value. I really did not know there was a market for arrowheads until about 20 years ago. I should have known, because Spiro Mounds were destroyed by people who marketed artifiacts. I have no idea what their priorities were. I just wondered, how many folks 'hunt arrowheads' solely with the intent of selling them? It's probably no different than marketing other antiquities. How many folks feel differently?

P

pippinwhitepaws

i follow a catch and release program...i rarely bring pieces home, and that normally to photograph, and take it back out.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
It's like anything I find with my detector, I would love to keep it forever. But if it comes down to coins, jewelry, points or whatever material object...if I need to pay bills or put food on the table they are for sale.

HH Charlie

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250
when it comes to arrow heads they are not for sale goes in my collection and some time my grand children will own them they are a great part of our history.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked the catch and release program.

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Good morning, all...I've found points, I've bought points and I've traded for points, I have been able to make a nice collection over the years...However, because of economic conditions, I may have to sell some of that same collection, it is not something that I want to do, but it will keep me solvent, with enough to tide me over until I can come up with another way to make some cash...

Silver Eagle

Apr 14, 2009
Hello all, another newbie here.! I found these about 2 weeks ago.. My wife enjoys relic hunting as well & the credit for big point/knife goes to her.. I usually sell them quickly, so
these will likely be around until I need some money for a coin or other wants.. :thumbsup:
I do have a local museum that would probably be glad to have them for display, that's not a bad idea.!

scan0002-1.jpg

Africa

Apr 27, 2008
Queenstown South Africa
This is a very interesting topic, yes I have sold some of the items that I have found, but with the money, I have made up wooden show cases with a glass panel and then I have selected other items that I have found and then I have given them to various schools so that the younger generation can benifit from our history, will post some pic's some other time here when I am not so tired, it is bedtime now here in South Africa. :thumbsup:

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say sell them. Anyone who may take offense is just putting their nose were it doesnt belong. As long as you didnt steal them from their collection they have no buisness opening their filthy sewers to complain.

Unfortunately in this country people have developed a sense of "wouldnt mind my own buisness if someone threatened me to".

What I find and sell concerns myself and the buyer. If your stupid enough to stick your nose into my buisness, prepare for it to get busted.

I really hate busy body retards with nothing better to do than trying to mind someone elses affairs.

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Likely Guy said:
When it comes down to it, what I find (especially arrowheads and the like) goes to our museum because we're trying to build an exhibit.

Other than that, individual circumstances equal unique decisions. You know what you 'should' do.

"Individual circumstances equal unique decisions." I really, really like that.

A

Atticus Finch

ryaan21 said:
I say sell them. Anyone who may take offense is just putting their nose were it doesnt belong. As long as you didnt steal them from their collection they have no buisness opening their filthy sewers to complain.

Unfortunately in this country people have developed a sense of "wouldnt mind my own buisness if someone threatened me to".

What I find and sell concerns myself and the buyer. If your stupid enough to stick your nose into my buisness, prepare for it to get busted.

I really hate busy body retards with nothing better to do than trying to mind someone elses affairs.

Several years ago I was MDing a beach. I was carrrying a small foot long shovel. These two self empoered girls riding a turtle patrol ATV stopped by me and said I was violating the law... I explained I was in fact not violating the law..and they said they were going to report me. Personally at times like this I feel like shooting them in the face..but then again I don't carry a weapon.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think, though may be wrong, that the Spiro mounds were plundered during the depression. As bad as it seems I would of done the same thing to have fed my family. I have never sold a point and do not intend too but I would and will if I had to. I mainly CW relic hunt now and sold 3 bullets once and do not regret the decision. To each his own. I do not CW relic hunt or dig for points with the intent of making a profit. I do it because I like having them and unlike museums you can hold anything I have found and marvel at it like I do...d2

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses. I don't know if the plundering of Spiro Mounds had a lot to do with the depression. A lot of my family lived in the area and they would not touch it on a bet. We still won't. I don't know where the guys that formed the Pocola Mining Company were from. But I suppose if I needed money I might have worked for them.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
I dont have any problems with buying, selling, trading artifacts, imo, it's great for the hobby. I'd have a hard time selling any personal finds though, even the field grade, they're priceless to me.

Silver Eagle

Apr 14, 2009
Artifacts are considered liquid assets to me, just as coins are...
I simply enjoy being out in nature & hunting them.. If I find something, thats great.! If not thats ok to.!! I got to spend the day doing something I enjoy with the person I most enjoy being around..

With that said, I will dispose of legally acquired assets any way I like.! Its nobodies business but mine..

BTW,I did end up donating the points pictured to are cultural museum.. The museum hasn't been around very long & had very few artifacts donated.. They was very glad to receive them especially since they was found in the county in which the museum resides..

Dirty WhiteBoy

Apr 21, 2009
Seminole, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX fine jewelery extraction device
Keep them if you can but there is nothing wrong with selling them if you have to! To me they are precious...especially if you found them yourself! ;D The few pieces that I have dug myself would be very hard for me to part with as also with my MDing collection! I love American Indian artifacts! They are truly an icon of our history and culture! :icon_study: I believe they should be displayed properly in a nice shadow box so everyone can see and enjoy them! :thumbsup: They definately deserve respect! :notworthy: It sounds to me like you are giving them the repect they so deserve so Bravo to you RGINN! :icon_sunny:

dcinffxva

Apr 9, 2008
thirty7 said:
I dont have any problems with buying, selling, trading artifacts, imo, it's great for the hobby. I'd have a hard time selling any personal finds though, even the field grade, they're priceless to me.

I agree completely. I have plenty of items that I've dug up, and none are for sale. I even went and bought some three ringers to use as giveaways for people that let me detect on their property, just so they can have a little piece of the history, and I can keep the things I've found.

So far the most valuable single item I've found is worth maybe $1500.00. For me, that kind of money won't change anything in my life. Now, if I dug up something like a trunk full of $50.00 gold pieces, I may have to reconsider.

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
I never sell any artifacts that are my personal finds. I put so much time into finding them and the memories of the hunts are to great to part with them. I have sold arrowheads that I have purchased on ebay or antique shops that I have no attachment to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread