fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was invited to hunt arrowheads for a couple of hours this afternoon. Here are the results. The first pic is all the decent finds we made together and the second shot is my points. I found the red one in a deer track!

Attachments

• our finds.JPG
    our finds.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 1,535
  • points.JPG
    points.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 974
  • Savannah river insitu.JPG
    Savannah river insitu.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 973
  • Savannah River revealed.JPG
    Savannah River revealed.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 1,523
  • our finds.JPG
    our finds.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 709
  • points.JPG
    points.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 916
  • Savannah river insitu.JPG
    Savannah river insitu.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 751
  • Savannah River revealed.JPG
    Savannah River revealed.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 752
  • savannah.JPG
    savannah.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 712
Upvote 0

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you guy's go searching U mean business :o I am amazed at how many ;D I also favorite the red point :headbang: very nice

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice red Savannah River.
Those are some great finds for an afternoon hunt! :thumbsup:

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Dude, not to be picky, but most of those points, especially the red one (very nice by the way Kudos!) are really not "arrow heads". They are actually, and this is from a former aquaintance who is an anthropological archaeologist, are spear points or even the equivalent of hunting knives. True "arrow" heads would be much much smaller and delicate. You have to imagine how heavy something like that red one would be at the end of a willowy long little stick of an arrow. True broadheads as it were didn't really come along untill cultures started making points from metal. Much stronger and lighter and flight freindly than good old chirt or flint.
Ok, now that I've made myself sound like a "Stickler" for accuracy, just know that until I was "proffessionally" corrected I called everything I found like that an arrowhead too. <grin> That said, I don't mean to detract anything from your finds. They are WAY COOL! Good finds my friend! Go get some more!

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frodov said:
Dude, not to be picky, but most of those points, especially the red one (very nice by the way Kudos!) are really not "arrow heads". They are actually, and this is from a former aquaintance who is an anthropological archaeologist, are spear points or even the equivalent of hunting knives. True "arrow" heads would be much much smaller and delicate. You have to imagine how heavy something like that red one would be at the end of a willowy long little stick of an arrow. True broadheads as it were didn't really come along untill cultures started making points from metal. Much stronger and lighter and flight freindly than good old chirt or flint.
Ok, now that I've made myself sound like a "Stickler" for accuracy, just know that until I was "proffessionally" corrected I called everything I found like that an arrowhead too. <grin> That said, I don't mean to detract anything from your finds. They are WAY COOL! Good finds my friend! Go get some more!

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Do not feel bad, I to have been corrected by professionals. I have found bucket loads of "arrowheads" but found out that only 60% of them actually were "arrowheads".

Frodov

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know they are not technically arrowheads. Just a generic term for them. But thanks for the lesson. I will try not to be so lazy in the future. As I learn the difference between spear tip, tool and knife etc. I will start trying to correctly ID them.
I hope to go back in about two weeks. They are supposed to plow another field.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice points!!!!!!!!!!! i always like finding the colorfull ones... MR TUFF

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well actually since Frodov,wants to be picky.......they were not spear points either but dart points used with a atlatl.Our American Indians were not "spear chuckers",as you see in Africa.Not to say they didnt use them but on rare ocassion.Dont fool yours self either they were using bow and arrow,long before the introduction of iron!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The broke base of the Dalton point is late paleo /early archaic at around say 10,000 years plus or minus a 1000. Not bad at all in the Americas for old tools.
HH
TnMtns

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
About 500 A.D. on the appearance of the bow and true arrow heads. I've read that it was the equivalent of the atom bomb in our culture. It turned everything upside down and had a major effect on language, territories, etc. I guess if one tribe had it before the next, the next was done for.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet points. :icon_thumright:I would say you had a great day.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is some great finds, you have to have a sharp eye to see them out here the American native owned all this land for 1000,s of years the fields here go back to the 1600,s or earlier when they plow them maybe a Clovis point will show up ,to find that many in 1 hunt is TO COOL :icon_thumleft: that red one is awesome . Dd60

Hiker

Nov 30, 2008
Newnan, GA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh man, nice points and perfect weather to look for them too.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Whatever they are,put one on a "shaft" and use it...must be some deer around there somewhere.Cool find's :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread