Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Artifact from Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee

Found this curious little 2.5 inch tall plaster bust of Queen Victoria in the trash today from the contents of a very old house that was tossing out everything.
At first I thought it was just a worthless trinket but after some research :icon_study: I discovered it may be worth something significant.
On the back it reads, "Original in possession of the Queen - R. Belt Sc - 1897 - Made In Germany.
I believe this is a miniature copy of a bust made for Queen Victoria on her Diamond Jubilee in 1897.
Can anyone confirm? If this is indeed a Victorian-age artifact from 1897 it will really make my day! ;D

Edit 6/4/2015: Just confirmed this to be an original souvenir piece from Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897.
It is not made of plaster as I thought earlier but a much higher quality material called Bisque Porcelain.
These were made as souvenirs for sale during the festivities of Queen Victoria's jubilee.
According to my research they are highly sought by collectors as over the years most have been lost or broken.
It's a miracle the miniature bust has survived as it is just a piece of hollow porcelain.
It survived 118 years on a trip that brought it from its manufacture in Germany, to its sale in England, to its trip to the USA, and then its sad toss into a dumpster.
So happy to have saved it! Since I love anything having to do with Queen Victoria this will now become a centerpiece in my "everything Victorian" collection. ;D

20150602_003604.jpg 20150602_003627.jpg
Can't wait to see if that house tossed out anymore cool things, will check it out tomorrow.

Last edited:
Upvote 10

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
UM, thats a really neat find,vanzutphen

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I would get a couple opinions from the pro's, could be a nice chunk of cash..

I-DIG-IT

Silver Member
Mar 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, I don't think it's plaster, there would be hardly nothing left of it after 100 + years. Maybe porcelain. Nice save.

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found a few examples, it appears they are made of bisque and were souvenir pieces. Both of the ones I saw had 5" or so black stands so I do believe the stand on yours is missing. Cool find

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, I don't think it's plaster, there would be hardly nothing left of it after 100 + years. Maybe porcelain. Nice save.

You're right it is porcelain, specifically unglazed Bisque porcelain. I've just confirmed it is indeed from 1897.
These were made as souvenirs for sale during the festivities of Queen Victoria's jubilee. According to my research they are highly sought by collectors as over the years many have been lost or broken.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You saved the Queen! Nice! Get back there and look for more saves!

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a few examples, it appears they are made of bisque and were souvenir pieces. Both of the ones I saw had 5" or so black stands so I do believe the stand on yours is missing. Cool find

Yes, this is the case exactly! Thanks for the info! :occasion14:

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You saved the Queen! Nice! Get back there and look for more saves!

I actually just returned from the house and you won't believe what I found! I'll post it all a bit later.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great save, hard to believe that thing is still I one piece.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread