Artifact or fossil?

moguy

Greenie
Sep 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked this up some time last year just outside a steep bluff with lots of caves on our property in Missouri. I first thought it was probably a fossil, but wondered if it could be Native American due to the proximity to several shelter caves where artifacts have been found and springs nearby. I put it on an artifact group on Facebook expressing my doubts as to what it really was and most agreed it was not a fossil. I know very little about either subject and wanted an opinion. I'm not one of those people who are on here trying to make something out of nothing I am just curious and want an informed opinion without too much attitude. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441491122.645067.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441491151.580673.jpg

Upvote 0

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum! To me it looks like either a incised pottery shard or maybe even a carved soapstone piece. It has the look of soapstone. What general area did you find it in? Are there known Native American sites nearby? Pretty sure it's not a fossil though.

OP
OP
M

moguy

Greenie
Sep 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found it between doniphan and van Buren MO. We have found a couple of arrowheads and some possible pottery pieces as well near the caves but they aren't really this because I've actually dug a little bit and made a point to look.. Or I could be doing it wrong

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soapstone shards will be thick and sort of heavy where clay pottery will be lighter in weight. I've found clay shards 1/2" thick. Can we see a pic of the other side of it? As for "doing it wrong" I think you're doing fine probably. I'm a creek hunter and have yet to find anything on dry land lol I would love to see pics of the other things you have found and especially curious about the pottery.

Last edited:

Flatrocker

Greenie
Aug 24, 2015
Upstate South Carolina
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've found several similar "artifacts" here in SC, faces, animals birds etc. Some of the animals i feel were children s toys or the like! Some are made so they will actually rock! For some reason, i think many of the faces are likenesses of humans they know or have encountered! Some will be rougher than others, and like so many things in life, one person's artistic ability may be better or worse than the next. From your picture, i think your artist was pretty good! Just my thoughts on it! Diggin Dave the Flatrocker

OP
OP
M

moguy

Greenie
Sep 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441844125.070928.jpg

Here is a picture of one of 3 arrowheads found outside the caves.. The pottery and other arrowhead are in my gun safe and I'll have to dig them out.. Nothing spectacular but an artifact at least.. I posted a new thread over in the caves/spelunking area that shows just how extensive one of the caves is.. I would post pictures here but it's kinda off topic I assume.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the photo I think you have a fossil ,in one photo about midway in the piece ,it looks like a small crinoid fossil in the photo on the right on the left side of the piece . Cool find and I bet the caves are great.

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
I agree. Looks like the cross section of some aquatic fossil. Try fossil forum. A few there should recognize it immediately. Might tell you the specimen & age...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like fossil to me as well...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread