Aruba Beach Hunting, Has Anyone Been Their?

buckhntr59

Jul 27, 2006
First I would like to say HI to all of you. HI, I have been reading your posts for about 6 months now and this has to be the best fourm I have ever seen for TH'ers.
You all have given me a lot of insight and ideas for beach hunting. I have a Minelab Excl 1000, Fisher CZ 20, Fisher Impalus, Whites XLT and some Tesoros. I like them all, I do have a favorite.
I also have a great hunting partner, my wife Kim swings here own XLT on the beach and parks and a Tesoro at hunting events. Normaly she will out hunt me every time, I think she can hear better than me, must have been that loud music I listened to as a kid.
I have a trip planned for Aruba and will be leaving the end of next week, I would like to know if any of you have done any Beach/Shallow Water hunting their and if you had any problems???
Thanks for your time.
HB

Upvote 0

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I have only one thing to say about Aruba: BRING YOUR DETECTOR.  I went down in February of '05, with my entire family.  (10 of us)  I brought my DFX and my Surfmaster PI (upgraded 2 months before by MR Bill @ surfscanner detectors).  With all the stuff we did during the day, i didn't have a lot of time to hit the beaches.  My limited forays were three times during the day, and a couple hours at night when everyone went to sleep.

At night I'd hit the area in front of our hotel, specifically, the dry sand and the upper wet stuff with my DFX. (god i love that machine).  I made a lot of good finds, several rings, bracelets, tons of clad from all over the world.  I was very happy with my take from these night excursions.  And I actually got a thank you from the police who drove the beaches on 4-wheelers, for picking up all the trash I found.

I ony got into the water twice with my surfmaster.  Once was in front of the Hyatt, about mid-week.  I found 2 rings, both with real gems, some earrings and clad.  All in all... a great take for about 2 hours in the water.  The last day we were there, my flight was delayed - 12 hours.  So, mid day, when it was clear that we weren't going anywhere soon, I grabbed my Surfmaster and hit the beach.  It was crowded, in and out of the water, but i wasn't bothered too much.  I found another diamond engagement ring, and some clad.

I heard someone coming up behind me... I was just about chest deep in the water, heading back toward the beach.  An older lady (mid 60's i was guessing) asked me if i could help her find her sister's ring.  she had just dropped it and was standing right around it.  I looked up, and right in my projected path was the other woman... waving at me.  I went over, introduced myself, etc.

I did a circle pattern spreading out from where she was standing... and sure enough about 5 feet away from her i got a hit, and scooped it up.  As I did, i looked down and started to pray that this wasn't her ring.  It was big, VERY shiny... i could see glints, and glitters and white, and red and gold.  I asked her to describe it for me and she responded, almost instantly (I can still hear her voice in my head when I tell this story)

"Oh... Its got a large diamond in the center, and that's surrounded by a ring of rubies.  10 I think.  And that's surrounded by another row of small diamonds.  He  bought if for me for our 50th wedding anniversary last year.  He got it right here in Aruba, down in Oranjestaad.  He got a great deal... He only paid 26 THOUSAND DOLLARS."

I still want to cry when I tell that story. The husband was nice enough to offer me a reward, which I declined. I guess the good karma will have to be enough. What kills me is that she was right in my path, and she said that she and her sister were just getting out of the water when she noticed the ring was gone. Timing apparnetly is everything

OP
OP
B

buckhntr59

Jul 27, 2006
Thanks for your reply Spez 401.

It's nice to know that someone has had some good luck their. I'm also glad to see that you had no problem with the law. It sonds like you did fantastic and did a great deed for us MD'ers, Great story I hope I have one to tell like that some day...
HB

P

PlanetExpress

Just a heads up in general about the Netherland Antilles (ABC Islands):

Remember that you are not in the United States. Be very careful and very respectful of local people and their laws and customs. It's a lot more simple to be hauled away to jail if you get on the wrong side of a police officer or high-ranking official that might be at the beach for the day. I spent a lot of time in Bonaire (diving, not detecting) and there are things that go on. Nothing to fear... but it's best to be as cooperative as possible when way out in these islands.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
Planet
I agree 100% about going out of the country and respecting where you're going. I've heard horror stories from people who have been to Mexico, and some of the other islands. Whereever you go, pay attention to your surroundings. And MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THE LAWS.

I wasn't too worried going to Aruba. I went about 6 months before Holloway went missing. Aruba is a tourist island, and they tend to cater to tourists. But regardless... pay attention and be careful if you're out of the country

steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread