Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of you may recall that back in December when i found the site that i hunt at... I found this strange clay item in the bank of a creek that feeds into a larger river. The area is loaded with this type of clay. because my cellphone camera could not get a clear photo, many of you asked me to get a better picture of it and post it again. here it is. You can see the small pebbles embedded in it and it is very very flat on both ends.... like it was cut with a blade. It has one long perpendicular (if you stand it on either end) grove on one side. It also seems to have been fired or baked and is very hard. Back then... I thought it might be one half of an arrow shaft straightener. I am very curious to see if anyone has seen something like this before. I promise i will not be upset at all if you feel that its nothing.... but I just can't believe that its not man made. Any ideas?

Attachments

• thing1.JPG
    thing1.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 256
  • thing2.JPG
    thing2.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 255
  • thing3.JPG
    thing3.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 291
  • thing4.JPG
    thing4.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 264
Upvote 0
A

Atlantis0077

Afternoon,

Ok dont get mad at my observation. I dont know the site or age of the stuff you are finding there.

If I found something that looked like that I would think it was a piece of a brick. The kind that has the holes down the middle. That would be a chunk off the outside corner of one with half the outtermost hole visible. :wink:

That is what it appears to me to be. What it actually is will be debated I am sure. It's man made, just what man is the question.

HH,

Atlantis

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Atlantis0077 said:
Afternoon,

Ok dont get mad at my observation. I dont know the site or age of the stuff you are finding there.

If I found something that looked like that I would think it was a piece of a brick. The kind that has the holes down the middle. That would be a chunk off the outside corner of one with half the outtermost hole visible. :wink:

That is what it appears to me to be. What it actually is will be debated I am sure. It's man made, just what man is the question.

HH,

Atlantis

I never get mad at opinions and such. Ever :wink: I like and understand your thought. This may help. If it is a brick.... it surly must be very old. About 50 yards from this... I found a yadkin point along with a very old, hand made wagon wheel hub. This is evenly round in circumference and is not as hard as one would expect a brick to be. The grove is the strangest attribute in that it is the width of an adult index finger and feels like thats how it was made. This particular creek runs along a road that was actually used (historical records reflect) by George washington on two known occasions. I have found one yadkin point (white quartz... you may remember it), one very old horseshoe and the wagon wheel hub. The hub was about a foot deep in the clay bank of the creek and was protruding out. This thing was just a little deeper down and was also sticking out of the bank after a heavy rain. its a strange one for sure.

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Atlantis0077 said:
Ok,

That makes me lean toward some type of brick even more. Knowing there are historic period artifacts in the site opens it up to be anything.

It is great to have a site with only one component. I have been fortunate over the years to dug some of them. You hit a rock...its Indian. Nothing 'new' at all in the site. Most of the time though there is overlap of several components....it will be the most remarkable stroke of luck if such a site is stratified...that is to say the newest stuff is on top and the oldest on the bottom. Normally there is a mix.

One site I dig has caddo pottery and points in the same hole with nails broken glass and ceramics from the 20's. The other day I found the top of a wine bottle 1700's vintage...where the heck that came from is a mystery.

That is the fascinating part about digging to me. You NEVER know what you will find or where. Its always something new and exciting.

Back to your piece. I would strongly lean to it being of historic manufacture....maybe pretty old, but not an Indian relic. I am sure you will get some more input...someone else may have other ideas on it.

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis

Thats it!!! I wanted it t9o be an Indian artifact and now this?!!! YOU are off of the Christmas card list!!! hahahahah..... you better know that I am just kidding. yea.... your thoughts are probably right on. The little swath of a road that once was a creekside trail does in fact cut across Indian hunting area, however it also has a rich revolutionary war, Civil War and all points between and after.... so it was likely a piece of something from one of those eras. Thanks for the thoughts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread