67.6 KB · Views: 373
  • pipe stuff2.JPG
    pipe stuff2.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 372
Upvote 0
A

Atlantis0077

Afternoon,

Yeppers, those are trade pipe pieces for sure. Those things come in a myriad of forms....some white, some glazed, some just brown clay. I have pieces that had faces on the bowl. Many times they are mistaken for indian pipes by folks that dont know. The old clay marbles are also many times mistaken for "indian marbles."

Looks like you are on a good site....keep digging!!

Atlantis

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Atlantis0077 said:
Afternoon,

Yeppers, those are trade pipe pieces for sure. Those things come in a myriad of forms....some white, some glazed, some just brown clay. I have pieces that had faces on the bowl. Many times they are mistaken for indian pipes by folks that dont know. The old clay marbles are also many times mistaken for "indian marbles."

Looks like you are on a good site....keep digging!!

Atlantis

Thanks Atlantis ;D How about the clarity of those pics? I was never able to get them that clear until now. Life is good.

A

Atlantis0077

LOL,

Looks like you have resolved the resolution problem. I will expect perfect photos from now on!!! No more fuzzies.

Atlantis

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Atlantis0077 said:
LOL,

Looks like you have resolved the resolution problem. I will expect perfect photos from now on!!! No more fuzzies.

Atlantis

;D hey now.... allow me to have a few days buffer just in case ;D

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Air ............I hate to break it to you man but, those are just rocks!! LOL! You know I am just kidding. Nice man. I have found quite a few in privy's but, I do not have a dang camera. Here is an old pic of a privy dig I did. The bottles are ALL pontiled and the pipes in the lower center were complete. One is a face pipe. Keep up the hunt!
Chuck

Attachments

• privypipes.JPG
    privypipes.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 354

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Let me try this. You may be able to see them mo betta!

Attachments

• pipes.jpg
    pipes.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 346

arm66

Oct 25, 2007
NE Ohio....Mahoning County
Nice stuff. I've found three in one field - all broken in some wy. My nephew found one, whole, that had a handcrafted face made in the bowl. It sure is sweet but he won't part with it and the field it was found in is now 12 feet underwater.
What is the time frame for trade pipes anyway?

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ohio said:
Air ............I hate to break it to you man but, those are just rocks!! LOL! You know I am just kidding. Nice man. I have found quite a few in privy's but, I do not have a dang camera. Here is an old pic of a privy dig I did. The bottles are ALL pontiled and the pipes in the lower center were complete. One is a face pipe. Keep up the hunt!
Chuck

Ohio!!! You..... YOu....... you %$@@&^% hahahaha! For just a millisecond..... you had me!

Hey... those are very cool finds. The digging of privies seems to be very popular and rewarding. My older sister in California is bigtime into old bottles and has some that are pretty valuable. very cool man. Thanks for showing us those. I really would like to get a whole one. If it had a face on it... that would be awesome. My pipes are all dug up by the river's tied and by the time I get them.... they are being smashed against rocks and stuff. the fact that I can still find identifiable pieces in 2008 seems like a miracle.

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
arm66 said:
Nice stuff. I've found three in one field - all broken in some wy. My nephew found one, whole, that had a handcrafted face made in the bowl. It sure is sweet but he won't part with it and the field it was found in is now 12 feet underwater.
What is the time frame for trade pipes anyway?

Hi arm66... thanks for the comments. As for the period... I may be wrong, but from what I read on the net.... they stem (parden the pun) from anywhere between the late 1600s on up to the 1800s. Someone else here will have a clearer answer. I just like the thought of them floating over here in old ships and thinking of what they could tell us if they could talk :D

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Good luck with the new camera! I take several pics of an item using different settings, then pic the best one to post. I then delete all the fuzzy ones so they don't fill up my camera.

I love the clay pipe frags. I have read that they can often be dated by the diameter of the stem hole. My only frag is a stem section, but the good thing is that it has the makers marks. It says "McDougal" on one side of the stem, and "Glasgow" on the other side.

HH!

sixgun

Jul 6, 2008
Howdy,
This is the only whle one I,ve found.I have other ones with no bowl,and pcs.This type with this design was made down river from me about 35 miles.I found as as a young boy.I grew up tellin everyone it was an Indian Peace pipe.I even tried it out,before I found out what it really was.

sixgun

Attachments

• trade pipe 018.jpg
    trade pipe 018.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 303

riverhunter

Jun 29, 2008
Mid-Atlantic Coast
Yahoo! Clear Photos! Thee cheers for Airborne!
And how cool to be finding such a nice 'mixed bag' of items on your beach! Congrats!
I've read that there are a NUMBER of styles of pipe bowls and stems. The thin ones- some with emblems/+or words are ones typically sold by taverns- pre-filled w/ tobacco. Almost considered to be disposable. Then there are the thicker, chunkier ones w/ lines/patterns and other decorations. These were more permanent-style pieces.
You've got a great site! ;D
Riverhunter

Shemanese

Jun 23, 2008
Here is the only pipe I found. Found it around the base of a huge cherry tree down about 6 inches. Weighs 26 grams.

Attachments

• Pipe, Button, Thing, 001.jpg
    Pipe, Button, Thing, 001.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 240
  • Pipe, Button, Thing, 002.jpg
    Pipe, Button, Thing, 002.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 246
  • Pipe, Button, Thing, 003.jpg
    Pipe, Button, Thing, 003.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 241

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
It's just never going to be the same now with clear pictures and all... *sigh* JUST KIDDING! Finally! Love the pictures, very nice pipe fragments there, I can't tell by looking if they are trade pipes but pipes none the less either way.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At last great pics, great post. Congrats on your finds Airborne. :thumbsup:

Molly. :)

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pics, is that the camera from Lucky? I have a few of those parts and pieces as well as a couple whole pipes, they were manufactured in Point Pleasant, Ohio from the mids 1800's until about 1910.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread