Ask permission from the right people

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my one year of extensive detecting, I've never been kicked out of a location, partly because I look for who's in charge, introduce myself, and ask permission. I never go to someone in an office, but to the person in charge of maintaining the grounds. I'm friendly, respectful, and assure them that I will be low impact, and that I will remove all metallic garbage I dig up.

Example: I met a fellow MD'er last fall and showed him a ring I'd found (the one in my avatar). I told him which lake park I found it at and he said, "what! I got kicked out of there this summer." I had approached the same head groundskeeper that kicked him out who obviously appreciated my asking in advance. I detected there every Monday during the summer and found some great stuff. We had a good rapport and I may have been the only one he allowed to MD.

Another example: A friend and I both expressed interest in MDing a county fairgrounds after the fair. My friend went to the fair office and asked permission. They said, "absolutely not." A vending couple at a local swap meet told me they would have an indoor booth at the fairgrounds through the winter. I told them I'd like to MD the place and they said to come out on the day they set up and they would introduce me to the guy in charge of the grounds crew. We went out there and MD'd the whole place all day.

If you contact the lowest level person in charge that you can find on premises, and show respect, I've found that it works wonders getting into places you want to go. Stay away from the office honchos. I'm sure it won't always work, but I'm still batting 1000.

scrubber

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
scrubber, I presume you're talking about public places (like parks, schools, public fairgrounds, etc...). Good that you have figured out that the "higher you go, the more likely you are to get a 'no' ". But let me ask you a question: Have you ever gotten a "no" from a low-level gardener? And for the context of this question, let's assume there is no such rule at city level that specifically addresses md'ing in any way. Ie.: you merely get a gardner that says "no" because, afterall you asked, and perhaps he hears the word "dig" and shuts out all else you say after that.

If you have ever gotten such a "no", then turn the situation around: what do you do when you, later on, see someone else out there, who detects un-bothered, and no one really cares? You merely precluded yourself out of a hunting site?

This is exactly what I would be afraid of. I've seen it happen: A fellow in my town, who thought it was necessary to get permission to md the public parks (never mind that we old-timers been doing it for years before he moved here, and never had a problem). He got a "no". He announces that to our club meeting (as if the parks are somehow NOW off-limits?). And now confusion erupts: Does this mean we can no longer go? Others in the club said "nonsense, no one ever said anything to me!" And on and on it goes. You can almost feel what could happen next: that same gardener (or clerk at city hall, or whomever he asked), could subsequently see another md'r in a park, who PREVIOUSLY they may never have paid mind to. But since the inquirer's question if fresh in their mind, they see an md'r, and think "AHA! there's one of them", and start booting people he/she never previously would have noticed or cared about.

I still think the best way, if someone's skittish, is to look it up for themselves, and not ask ANYONE. Asking merely implies that permission was needed, to begin with (as if detecting was somehow inherently evil or damaging, that you had to ask). If you look it up yourself, and see no prohibitions, then why ask? Rules are usually available on-line, at city websites. Ie.: do a key-word search under "metal detecting" or whatever.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
With Tom again!
Seen his scenario as described play out eactly.

OP
OP
scrubber

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I know what you're talking about. It can certainly go either way, but the reaction has been totally positive every time I've done it. I'm placing myself in the other person's position. How would I react if I were in the groundskeeper's shoes? After all, we are treading on their turf (literally), and I actually do tread lightly. I dig no holes in well manicured grass. I use a pinpointer to find coins near the surface and if I do dig a plug, I don't totally separate and remove it if the grass and weather are dry. In park grass I only look for recently lost coins and jewelry. I move quickly and don't leave a trail of scarred lawn. And I have enough good finds from last year to show that philosophy has worked well.

If it's beach sand, dirt or beautybark, I don't feel the need to ask permission. But let's face it, there's no way we're going to be invisiblle to those guys. After telling them I tread lightly in grass, I've seen them look at where I've been to see if I actually am. It has never yet backfired on me. Oh, and I never use the word "dig" when talking to them.

I totally agree with you in many other forms of MDing -- fly under the radar and leave little evidence that you've been there. Yes, the local parks are public and we should have a right to be there, but they also have full right to kick us out if we're being invasive. I start every park with a piece of glass and a couple of nasty rusty nails in my junk pouch in case I'm hassled. I can say, "Look what I'm removing to protect bare feet." I only had to show them to one mother in a beautybark playground who questioned whether I should be there. That won her over instantly.

I don't think we're at odds over this question. It just depends on the situation.

Scrubber

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I've only been refused access to one property and that's because it was held in a trust, and I couldn't get in contact with all the owners.
he is right though, ask the guy that has to take care of it

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Tom on this one. It sounds like you are asking for permission in spots that are already open to detect. You are all positive, happy-go-lucky right now, but wait until you hear a no and get a once good site taken away from others.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread