Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
saw these at a show today
i thought if these were real why would the seller have one of them way up on top of a display case (over 6 feet above the floor)
i asked the seller if he had any provenance and he told me this:
'i dont need to get that much for them just cuz i have them marked at 495 bucks each' IMG_1765.jpg IMG_1767.jpg IMG_1761.jpg IMG_1763.jpg IMG_1764.jpg
'these came from a well known collector and i can show you his obituary'
what is your opinion?

Upvote 0

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert on pottery, but that piece doesn't look very functional.

It looks more like art work.....probably modern. Whole pots in Ohio are rare, but the ones I've seen are very simple and functional.

I guess I assumed you were talking prehistoric.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Steve, I don't see any reason to think they are ancient. Could be tourist items, they could be old pots that have been restored to include the ornamentation, or they could be modern fakes. The two in the case look a little bit like some styles from Latin America, but don't really match anything specific.

Joshua

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
so.....the guy has multiple very similar examples of a pot you have not seen before...all in great condition?...and he is selling these museum pieces for pennies on the dollar?...hmmmmmmm

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Steve, those are indeed modern reproductions. I think I like the "big bird" effigy...I'd give him $4.95 for it, lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread