asking Permission

recshooter

Jun 26, 2007
What exactly do you say when asking permission? I asked a guy this weekend and as soon as I said the word "dig" he said the word "no". From the way he spoke I think he pictured me in there with a backhoe. Once you get past the permission aspect, what is the agreement usually on the finds..in other words what "cut" does the landowner receive? What other subtle nuances go along with asking permission?

I have a hard time asking permission, but I have found that if the homeowner is outside, it's a bit more comfortable than actually having to ring the bell. What I usually say is, "I'm interested in the history of the area, and you have such a lovely older property..would it be OK with you if I searched it using my metal detector? At this point, I pull out my digging tool to show them, and assure the homeowner that when I'm done, they won't be able to tell that I've been there. I then tell them that I'd be happy to show them whatever I find. To date, I've found nothing significant, so offering to share my finds has not been an issue. I guess if I find something earthshattering, I would feel obligated to let the homeowner see it, and as it's on their property, I guess I would have to give it to them if they wanted it. That would be a bummer. :'(

yeah thats a good point to show them the tool....this guy I was on the phone with.

I asked the same question to a guy here,goes by the name outraged he put an add in Craig's list and he was nice enough to show me his add.It was gracefully stated and people call him to allow him to look on their properties,I'm sure if you asked him he'd be glad to show it to you.I'm gonna do the same in my area on Craig's list and perhaps the pennysaver.Good Luck

I actually just saw that he posted his add on this forum about 15 threads down threads title is ...Craig's lits....

the craigs list thing has worked for me as well. Also, if you approach the landowner and explain the history of their land to them first, they may be more willing. As it has been stated on here before, go about it as a history hunter and not a treasure hunter.

funny, I thought I'd drop this. I just reposted my craig's list listing last night and after I posted my above message I checked my email and already had another person asking me to do their land. They have 3 acres and a house built in 1930 in a very historical area not far from my home. So to reiterate, yes, it really works out well because you don't have to ask, people are asking you!

Thanks for the responses...i was thinking of putting an ad in my local clasified parer circular.. that's
great that it works.

I guess I could mention to I've got a B.A. in History...I guess that would make me look less "treasure" hunter..never thought about that.

artemis moon said:
At this point, I pull out my digging tool to show them, and assure the homeowner that when I'm done, they won't be able to tell that I've been there.

Which kind of begs the point of WHEN you search a nice yard. If the yard is full of leaves or hardly has any grass, then sure go ahead and ask. If its a nice manicured lawn, you are begging for problems if you dig in there during the summer. Every plug you dig will leave a round dead spot of grass and they will pop out everytime they cut the grass. In the spring, fall and winter, it isn't much of an issue...plenty of rain or the grass is dormant. Don't do it in the summer unless you gets tons of rain, you will be sorry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back