Assumed Shipwreck Items of Bottle Type Help Identify

SFLOcenEng

Apr 19, 2008
Rio Seco
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
The following items were found on a South Florida beach know to be in the vicinity of a shipwreck. I am particularly interested in the "black" colored "wine type bottle base" any information would be appreciated. As for the other item any input would also be appreciated.

As usual thanks in advance! Many of you have provided a me with a wealth of knowledge and it is much appreciated.

This will be linked to the bottle section also but as there is a wealth of knowledge pertaining to South Florida in this forum it seems appropreate to post in both.

Attachments

• DSC_3431_40_Percent.jpg
    DSC_3431_40_Percent.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 552
  • DSC_3426_One.jpg
    DSC_3426_One.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 543
  • DSC_3425_Two.jpg
    DSC_3425_Two.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 537
  • DSC_3411_Three.jpg
    DSC_3411_Three.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 525
  • DSC_3405_Four.jpg
    DSC_3405_Four.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 544

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The clear glass globe could be a stern light,or masthead light,or even a port or starboard light.See the photos and link,there are many there different styles but the glass all looks the same.

http://www.cuttyantiques.com/category-lanterns.html

Your oil lamp is most likely late 1800's or early 19th century.Clean it up and see if theres a patent number,name or date on it.

Attachments

• BrassMasterheadLight_1.jpg
    BrassMasterheadLight_1.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 649
  • BritishAnchorLight1_1.jpg
    BritishAnchorLight1_1.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 635
  • PerkoSternLight2_1.jpg
    PerkoSternLight2_1.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 645

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as the black glass wine bottle, it could possibly be a paste mold bottle :icon_scratch: unsure from pics. I do't think it's any older than that.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
What is the diameter of the black glass bottle?

From what I see, I would say mid to late 1800's. The clear glass globe design and shape has been used for over 100 years and of course is still being reproduced. I think this would be a good point to look up the design and see if and when it was pattented or first used.

The black glass bottle with that shape and depth pontil has a broad period dating from the mid 1700's to late 1800's. It doesn't seem to be flaking, which older bottles will tend to do after being in salt water for many years. The wear on the glass is pretty much from being pounded in the surf by sand and rocks. I have some very similar from the mid 1800's.

The aqua/green bottle top defintely points to 1800's and maybe even 1900's.

And even though these items may have all been found in the veciity of a known wreck, to me they all point to possibly different periods. And certainly could be considered nothing more than contamination to the site you believe is there if you think it is older. I once found a 1950's Coca Cola bottle down inside the cargo hold of a shipwreck from the late 1800's. Trash from a fisherman no doubt.

Hope that helps.

RGecy

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XS-2a Pro, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the first pic is probably an oil lamp. Just a thought...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread