At Long Last - My First Trade Token

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey folks!

Not a lot of silver for me to start the new year but I’ve been getting out and having fun.

Tried a new area today and was rewarded with my first trade token. Good for 5c at Gateway Cafe in Edmonds, WN (sic). Can’t find any history on the cafe although my estimate is this token dates to the 20s or 30s.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546716707.415358.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546716715.693145.jpg

This is one of my 30 bucket list items I wanted to find this year (although I’m only aiming to find 9) so that’s nice too!

Good luck out there and happy hunting.
-W

Upvote 32
Good way to start the year and with a good new spot Good luck Well done

Nice Token. Every Token is unique and I always enjoy finding them.

Nice!! So when did it change from WN to WA...there's a few on ebay that have the WN...???

Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Nice!! So when did it change from WN to WA...there's a few on ebay that have the WN...???

Good question! Mine says WN. Very strange. I’ve never seen Washington abbreviated as WN before this...

The abbreviations Wash. and sometimes Wn. were used pretty universally until the post office standardized the list of two letter abbreviations in 1963. Tokens do not necessarily follow any rules - whatever the diemaker had space for often was what was used.

Interestingly the die that was used for the obverse of this token was recently in an auction sale.

Display Token Records - All States

John in the Great 208

The abbreviations Wash. and sometimes Wn. were used pretty universally until the post office standardized the list of two letter abbreviations in 1963. Tokens do not necessarily follow any rules - whatever the diemaker had space for often was what was used.

Interestingly the die that was used for the obverse of this token was recently in an auction sale.

Display Token Records - All States

John in the Great 208

Very interesting, thanks for the great info John! You've always been on top of it with questions about local tokens. I appreciate your help and expertise.

And thanks to everyone else for all the great comments! There are always new firsts to be had in this hobby!

Nice token.Congrats

Congratualtions! :occasion14:

Wash, 1 off your list already... way to go.... I almost got one on my list today, but, my friend found it... LOL Seated 1/2 dime... Basss

Wash, 1 off your list already... way to go.... I almost got one on my list today, but, my friend found it... LOL Seated 1/2 dime... Basss

Thanks bass, darn friends sometimes!! Lol. Good luck, hope you get yours soon [emoji106]

Nice find! when I found 4 of them within a couple weeks this fall I thought they may of been a common find????

Nice find! when I found 4 of them within a couple weeks this fall I thought they may of been a common find????

Depends where you are and where you hunt. My brother found 3 near each other this last spring at a site we hit. Since I’m in Seattle, it’s hard to find things earlier than the 30s or 40s and most of these tokens are older than that. I guess it was just one of those weird finds that had eluded me!

Nice save! Tokens are my favorite non silver finds. I only ever found one trade token and it was $1 version.
Screenshot_2019-01-10-14-25-45.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back