AT Pro and the full size coil...

PullTabProphet

Mar 17, 2014
West FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had the ATP for coming up on a year now (maybe a little longer) and have never really used the stock 8.5"X11" coil and stuck to using the 5"x8" coil solely.

So, I guess my question is; are there times when it's best to use the full size coil? For depth etc.? I mean, I have found plenty of targets in the 6-10" range with the smaller coil and the few times I initially used the big coil it just felt heavier on the forearm but not any deeper?

Of course, I realize there are a lot of variables to consider when it comes to depth i.e. soil density etc. but I was just wondering what other ATP folks method of service or philosophy of use was pertaining to the 8.5"X11" DD coil...

Where I live, I have a TON of wooded areas around me that, while no one may have ever lived on, there's hundreds of years of use as far as hunting, Confederate troop movements from Brooksville to Bayport, FL (No real battles but definitely camps etc.) and long gone homesteads that theres no real record of. So, I was thinking that targets that are from 100-200 years ago may very well be in 10" or more of depth in the ground and maybe the full size coil wood be more appropriate out in the deeper woods out here?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/opinions on this,

PTP

steveo40

May 10, 2014
I use my 8.5x11 coil when trash is not really bad and I want to cover the ground a little quicker. Trashy areas I use the 5x8 coil.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Give it a try in the clean areas. You will probably get another 1-2" if you think you need it.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with Steveo40 about the two coils. When really trashy or around foundations…etc., I use the sniper coil.

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If its not a trashy area, you should probably always use the stock coil (or bigger). Its more efficient, you can cover more ground. For example, on non-trashy beaches, in the dry, I use the stock coil, not the smaller.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions