This ought to get you a few replies. :)

CaballoDeOro

Jun 29, 2012
Southwest MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you provide some objective evidence to support that, or is it just opinion?

A definition of "better" is also necessary. The answer is wholly dependent on that. The definition can easily sway it either way. For example, is the GTI...

...better for people with less than $700 to spend? (nope)
...better for people who want a detector under 3.5 lbs? (nope)
...better for detecting swimming holes? (nope)
...better in heavy rain? (nope)
...better for people who don't like green detectors? (nope)

The GTIs might be better detectors for you. If that's true, there is little point in anyone else trying to persuade you otherwise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have owned both the GTI's for 12 years or longer , and the AT Pro since they came out .. …. The 1500 cost less than $700.00… 3.5 Lbs.not heavy … I have used ever detector i have owned in the rain with no problems … And the color of a detector has nothing to do with how a detector works…Swimming holes if you do swimming holes use a water detector.. But i would bet that over 1/2 the one's that own the AT Pro never go to any water to hunt………….. OH yes the GTI detectors also have auto ground tracking… But if you think the AT is better than the GTI detectors that is your own dream world you are in not mine … OH OH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with Keppy with the GTI Vs AT Pro. Those that have more than just the AT Pro soon learn they don't have to ignore those little pops and wonder if it was a target or EMI. Granted the ATP is lighter and you can hunt in a hard rain, but why would want too? GTI's pinpoint spot on and no extra pinpointer needed. Depth indicator is more accurate as is the id. Shaft is metal with spring clips and not plastic. An don't forget it's green, the color of money. I like the weight of the Pro over the GTI's but a strap solves that. There is the advantage of being able to unload the AT Pro to any newbie that comes down the pike.

This should get the ball rolling.:laughing7:

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to agree with Keppy with the GTI Vs AT Pro. Those that have more than just the AT Pro soon learn they don't have to ignore those little pops and wonder if it was a target or EMI. Granted the ATP is lighter and you can hunt in a hard rain, but why would want too? GTI's pinpoint spot on and no extra pinpointer needed. Depth indicator is more accurate as is the id. Shaft is metal with spring clips and not plastic. An don't forget it's green, the color of money. I like the weight of the Pro over the GTI's but a strap solves that. There is the advantage of being able to unload the AT Pro to any newbie that comes down the pike.

This should get the ball rolling.:laughing7:
Sandman , That's right Green is the color of money…And i like the auto ground tracking on the GTI's .. My Sovereign also has the auto ground tracking..

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
There is always a better detector than another. So what's the point of saying how good one is over the other? It gets pretty old and tired. Hunt with what you like. Why always comparing apples to other apples. The AT pro is a fine machine for the price and I've had mine in the water as much as a duck since I bought it and has found me quite a bit of gold and silver. Is there a better machine?..of course there is. Why always the need to say how much better one is than the other when it should be better anyway.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
The AT was designed for an all terrain hunter in and out of the water for the versatile hunter, and it does just that very well. Why is it supposed to be better than the GTI??

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
There is always a better detector than another. So what's the point of saying how good one is over the other? It gets pretty old and tired. Hunt with what you like. Why always comparing apples to other apples. The AT pro is a fine machine for the price and I've had mine in the water as much as a duck since I bought it and has found me quite a bit of gold and silver. Is there a better machine?..of course there is. Why always the need to say how much better one is than the other when it should be better anyway.
..I post thing's like this to bring out people like you .. Because i have both and that is my opinion that's what we are here for … And you just gave yours i don't like it but that is your opinion .. You should not attack others opinion if you do not want to be attacked.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I can't add any support to your declarative statement about ATPs, Kebby, but I can truly say that I haven't found jack-diddley with my new ATP that I have had since June. I hunt in rivers, lakes, and old sites, and either i am a complete waste of skin, or this detector is c-c-c-crap!

Its probably me. :icon_scratch:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no problem finding goods with my ATP. Every year with it has gotten better. Ive never used the GTI, but I know they are a very we'll built machine. It's great having a very light machine to swing around...but in reality..it's light because it's made of cheap externals. I still love my machine thou...she's been good to me

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I can't add any support to your declarative statement about ATPs, Kebby, but I can truly say that I haven't found jack-diddley with my new ATP that I have had since June. I hunt in rivers, lakes, and old sites, and either i am a complete waste of skin, or this detector is c-c-c-crap!

Its probably me. :icon_scratch:

be positive and give it a couple more months..it took me a little while to get what it's saying

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not attacking. I commented on a thread that has no point.
Every thread has a point if you look close enough … The point here was right up front ..I like the GTI's better than the AT's .. Got it ? .. If we did not comment or post here there would be nothing on here to read or talk about ……. OH i see only your comments are worth any thing on Tnet here…. Sorry..

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
If anything, the AT Pro is good to have around as a change up when you need to get away from your other detectors!
When I get tired of one (usually when I haven't found anything of value in awhile) it's cool to be able to use another detector for a hunt or two.

ringking76

Jul 8, 2014
knoxville area
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP,Minelab CTX 3030 and Tesoro Golden Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the GTI series are worthless,Garret sucks,minelab stinks and White's is a waste of time.
Bounty Hunter all the way baby!

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was at the Garrett factory in Texas this summer and ask which detectory was best? They said that the gti is liked by the old timers but that the best detector they have out is the AT PRO... I then asked if I wanted to buy the next step up in the Garrett line what would it be and they said the AT PRO was their best ( I asked 2x the same ?...got same answer).... just saying... you just need to truly learn the AT PRO...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did they mean the AT Pro was best because of sales volume or performance? I would think the ATX would be the best.. Each detector has its place where it excels. A golfer carries a few clubs for a round of golf. Golf, talk about a waste of time ,chasing a little white ball....

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
be positive and give it a couple more months..it took me a little while to get what it's saying

This is most-likely the case, but I'm still digging EVERY signal, and not getting squat. I'm using pro-zero, Iron Discrim at 22, Iron Audio off, small coil. It certainly sucks to go to the large coil. That sucker is heavy after using the little guy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread