AT PRO And the GTI detectors

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is most-likely the case, but I'm still digging EVERY signal, and not getting squat. I'm using pro-zero, Iron Discrim at 22, Iron Audio off, small coil. It certainly sucks to go to the large coil. That sucker is heavy after using the little guy!

Yea Small coil is the way to go..Plus i usally run the discrimination at 40...If you get an Iffy target that sound good but bounces alot, thats a good time to turn on the Iron Audio, usally that iron noise will drown out any high tones you may have been getting if its junk.

When I first got mine , I tried it, didnt get it and went back to the ACE, where I knew what it was telling me..but i knew i had to man up and use it. So it did take me a bit to figure out what it was saying, and now Im very confident in my signals and finds. No machine is perfect, my buddie runs an etrac and has for years, and even with those machines, its crazy how a deep rusty bolt will give a good signal, or at least a signal you would want to check out.

Just give it some time, and make sure you are in places you will find some good stuff. Ive been to some balfields that barely had targets, and some that were full of coins, some just full of trash,

Alot of varibles

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
. Golf, talk about a waste of time ,chasing a little white ball....
That is a true statement i wasted a lot of time playing golf … But i quit the last time i played a round of golf was in 1989 .. And i have never missed it and to me it really was a waste of time… But i never thought of detecting and treasure hunting as a waste of time … I always thought of it as exciting ...

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a true statement i wasted a lot of time playing golf … But i quit the last time i played a round of golf was in 1989 .. And i have never missed it and to me it really was a waste of time… But i never thought of detecting and treasure hunting as a waste of time … I always thought of it as exciting ...

Detecting is an Adventure of the unknown..Thats what fascinates me, and there are so many different levels of Treasure Hunting...I grew up in south florida my whole life and never played golf once, I never understood it.. but I did spend 18 years skateboarding and traveling around to competitions...and that got me....uh...arrested a couple times and bad knees....Oh, and I never made it pro..lol

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
So in other words, trolling. Got it.
If you think that .. that's fine … I know that no ones opinion counts but yours .. And as having discussion's here on Tnet i guess we should get your approval before we post here ...

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
TROLL...TROLL....TROLL
What are you talking about ? I just post i never troll .. If you guys or gals what ever you are do not like this thread why come on it ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow Kep, are you looking to pick a fight? Lol
This ought to get you a few replies. :)
Rob .. i did get some very interesting replies …:thumbsup:.. All i said was i own the GTI and AT Pro and i think the GTI was a better detector … It is not even two different detectors makers it is all Garrett and some went crazy why ????

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rob .. i did get some very interesting replies …:thumbsup:.. All i said was i own the GTI and AT Pro and i think the GTI was a better detector … It is not even two different detectors makers it is all Garrett and some went crazy why ????

Haha! I knew it was coming. :) I don't think we've seen the last of it either. Some people are very protective of whatever detector they bought it seams. I like a variety myself, as long as I'm finding something with it. I will confess that I only use my AT Pro when it's raining, snowing or I'm water hunting. My go to detector is my V3i but I'm not going to say why ;) I think it's all about comfort level and how much effort you put into learning your machine that gets you the goods. I wear the finish off the V.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
GTI's are lower frequency detectors geared for high conductive targets like coins.."coin detectors" not like the AT pro with higher frequency geared more for gold. Can't stand the bell tone either. Haven't used my Ace 250 since I purchased the AT.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GTI's are lower frequency detectors geared for high conductive targets like coins.."coin detectors" not like the AT pro with higher frequency geared more for gold. Can't stand the bell tone either. Haven't used my Ace 250 since I purchased the AT.

Not even joking, but after using the ACE for a few years...that bell tone gives me nightmares..lol

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting Debate // I have the ATP and like it -but- I wonder why Garrett would build a new machine that is not as good in some areas then previous models ?? Like Pinpointing--and depth. Seems to me each new model should be better than the last ???----I bet the next new model IS water proof and looks a lot like the ATX // Perry

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting Debate // I have the ATP and like it -but- I wonder why Garrett would build a new machine that is not as good in some areas then previous models ?? Like Pinpointing--and depth. Seems to me each new model should be better than the last ???----I bet the next new model IS water proof and looks a lot like the ATX // Perry
Every one wanted Garrett to put out a VLF waterproof detector and so that is what they did …. For most remember the Garrett VLF detector's waterproof to 10 ft. .. The AT3 and AT4 … they quit making years ago… The ATX is a PI and every one wanted a VLF water detector … But i guess they could make a AXT in VLF if they wanted

ringking76

Jul 8, 2014
knoxville area
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP,Minelab CTX 3030 and Tesoro Golden Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Because we all know Garrett six lmao rofl

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
be positive and give it a couple more months..it took me a little while to get what it's saying
I've had my pro for a year and 1/2 and right now no one can keep up with me. I just hit the parks now and am finding amazing finds for the Northwest. 21 Barbers and 19 Indians this year. I can't say anything bad about the GTI because I don't have one but I'm super happy with the pro it's revitaliezed my interest for detecting. By the way I have just stared experimenting with water hunting, 3 gold rings this year from the water. With any detector you have to learn the machine, I have a Whites coinmaster GT I want to try but I'm afraid to put down the Pro for fear I'll miss something good.
Happy Hunting MackDog

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread