At Pro headphone mod

shen13

Nov 11, 2013
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..... Fisher F2 ( HF Detector(planning on modding it)
AT PRO and 2 Tesoro Compadres...
2 Pro Pointers
Lesche Wilcox Fiskar's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I do not know if it is still water proof…………. But i do know if you do that to your detector you will not have a warranty on it after you do some thing like that to it…..

OP
OP
S

shen13

Nov 11, 2013
N.C.
Detector(s) used
2 Pro Pointers
Lesche Wilcox Fiskar's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like I need to keep my head above water as they say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

OP
OP
S

shen13

Nov 11, 2013
N.C.
Detector(s) used
2 Pro Pointers
Lesche Wilcox Fiskar's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the ones garetts sells are ok then?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The cuff mod is not water proof. Just a 1/4" jack adaptor to the back of the cuff. The Garrett blues look and feel cheap and sound tinny to me. You can buy other quality headphones with the ATPro waterproof plug on them though if you want something nice.

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK I watched the video, and to answer your question no, it is no longer waterproof. While the "brain" of the AT pro will remain water proof since he did not change that connection. The new connection he created in the end of the handle will be subject to flooding and shorting as the pole becomes filled with water.

Also NEVER NEVER EVER use WD40 to lubricate rubber seals as he did. The WD40 will actually eat away at the seals since it is not a silicon based lubricant.

OP
OP
S

shen13

Nov 11, 2013
N.C.
Detector(s) used
2 Pro Pointers
Lesche Wilcox Fiskar's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I guess its a nice set of waterproof's for the water and plain ones for the land...lord does it cost to play...

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weather the mod is sound or not that was the very best "how to " video I have ever watched // Perry

Budman231

Sep 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a cool mod (for an ACE-x50). Since they are not waterproof anyway. I wouldn't do that to an AT-Pro personally.

I guess the point is to get the headset cord behind your back ?

He did a nice job on the mod.

Bud

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a cool mod (for an ACE-x50). Since they are not waterproof anyway. I wouldn't do that to an AT-Pro personally. I guess the point is to get the headset cord behind your back ? He did a nice job on the mod. Bud

I think it's more of a mod that let's you use any 1/4" headphone with the Pro with added benefit of getting the cord out of the way of your hand. If your hunting in water you can just unscrew the headphone connector and install waterproof headphones in a couple of minutes.

Budman231

Sep 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes a lot of sense.. I had forgotten that the ATP has a different audio connector than my ACE-350. I just use an adapter to use my Bose noise cancelling headset with a mini-audio connector. I think the mod is very cleaver and something Garrett should think about for future models. Having the cord out of your way seems really nice. There has to be a way (rubber plug or cover) to make that waterproof.

Because I hate dangling cords, I wonder if there is a reliable way to hide the coil cord in the shaft..?

Bud

I think it's more of a mod that let's you use any 1/4" headphone with the Pro with added benefit of getting the cord out of the way of your hand. If your hunting in water you can just unscrew the headphone connector and install waterproof headphones in a couple of minutes.

OP
OP
S

shen13

Nov 11, 2013
N.C.
Detector(s) used
2 Pro Pointers
Lesche Wilcox Fiskar's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would be nice is one like Garrett sells or the mod(waterproof) that attaches to the side of the cuff and
like Budman said hidden in the shaft at the end of it..That way you could have the best of both worlds...
and never have to fumble with plugging and unplugging?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread