Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. I just bought an AT Pro. I have been using another Garrett with pin pointing, so I am used to the feature. My question is this: When I get a good vdi, I always notice the depth indicator. Usually it will show one number, but when I pinpoint, the depth shows much more shallow. Am I pinpointing a different target? Which depth should I use to gauge the depth to dig? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

cz_kid

Greenie
Oct 22, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the same thing going on with my pro. Once I'm in PP mode, I push the coil to the ground and usually get a depth less then the original hit. (4" difference at times) Which is good news for me but I just dig and use my pointer till I find what's there. And there is always something there. After I recover my find I go over the dig one more time with my MD just to make sure I've recovered everything. I wouldn't go into each dig expecting to dig what the MD is projecting. I've learned quick to expect the worst dig but hope for the best dig. Regardless, like you, I'd like to know why the difference in depth though. Good luck.

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..its really nothing major. It happens with my buddys Etrac too....Alot of the time a target will read deeper than it really is because its on its side (coin) or the object is smaller or larger than what you think you are digging....I recently dug a Buffalo that was reading at 6"...when i dug down, I relized that i mis pinpointed it, and it was really only 3" or so, and on its side.

So I really wouldnt worry too much about it

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pinpoint sweet spot is just above the shaft. When you run the coil over the target, it might be a few inches above or below the sweet spot. So if a target is 2 inches deep and 2 inches away from the sweet spot, you might get a deeper indicator of depth. (2+2) When you pinpoint and move the sweet spot directly over the target, you are getting a more accurate depth.

I always use the pinpoint depth for best results.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The pin point is gauged on coins. Anything bigger or smaller will effect the accuracy. If its bigger than a standard dime it will effect accuracy. If its on edge it will effect accuracy. If another target is close it will effect its accuracy. All machines are like this. Not just the Garrett AT Pro.

What I am saying in short is dont worry so much about the exact depth. If its a good sounding target dig it and move to the next one. I tend to over analyze my targets and waste time I could be on to my next gold ring.

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all for the replies. I don't know if it is the DD coil or the new machine in general, but pinpointing with the ATP seems much different than the GTAx500. I have a round solid coil on the GTAx and the sweet spot is much easier to identify almost perfectly each time. I have watched the video Garrett includes as well as read the pinpointing portion of the user's guide again, and think I am finally getting better with it. Even though they are made by the same company, they are 2 totally different machines. I am very satisfied with the amount of depth I gained with the new detector. :occasion14:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Concentric coils pinpoint easier than DD coils.

paul of Penna

Feb 1, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado umax
Garrett AT PRO
Vibrapaobe Pinpointer
Whites Classic III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I DO WORRY ABOUT THE DEPTH! I was recently looking for a lost gold ring for a woman, and she said she lost it last November. I knew I only wanted to dig mid range target signals at shallow depths so when the depth says 4" I pass it up. I come to find out that now I must re-search that big yard 'cause many 4" targets were shallow! (once I dug a few and found that out)
Paul of Penna

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So many things affect the accuracy with detectors and I don't trust screens.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your right, I dig on signal and don't worry about what depth it says it is. If is says 4" it is usually 2". I figure because your coil swing is at least 2" above th ground anyway. I get a signal zero in on it and use my Pro Pointer to pin point it or dig a plug and use my pointer again.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did you buy a AT Pro for?

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What did you buy a AT Pro for?
If you're asking me, I chose the ATP because I want to start hunting in water and also because I like supporting the American worker. The ATP is "Made In America". I don't have $2000 to spend on a detector. I am one of those American workers that depend on people to buy the product I produce.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Concentric coils pinpoint easier than DD coils.

Very very true! DD coils take time to learn to pin point. They get MUCH better even coverage but aren't perfect!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pinpoint depth is the true depth, the target reads deeper before you pinpoint sometimes...I use the side to side and then pull back technique, when the signal cuts out, the target is at the tip of the coil or about an inch inside on a deep target. I can poke most targets with a screwdriver after pinpointing. Trash, like can slaw, doesn't pin point well.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The pinpoint depth is the true depth, the target reads deeper before you pinpoint sometimes...I use the side to side and then pull back technique, when the signal cuts out, the target is at the tip of the coil or about an inch inside on a deep target. I can poke most targets with a screwdriver after pinpointing. Trash, like can slaw, doesn't pin point well.

Neither do coins on edge.

S IL THer

Nov 29, 2009
S. Illinois
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, DFX, Coinmaster Pro,White's Eagle II SL, White's 6DB
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is off the original subject, but has anyone else noticed random sounds emitting from the speaker on the at pro when the headphones are plugged in, and the random
sounds are not coming thru the headphone ? this is in the middle of a large field with no electrical interference at all and the detector is resting on the ground, batteries are
new. I just thought the headphones were supposed to cut off all sounds from the speaker.

cz_kid

Greenie
Oct 22, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
this is off the original subject, but has anyone else noticed random sounds emitting from the speaker on the at pro when the headphones are plugged in, and the random
sounds are not coming thru the headphone ? this is in the middle of a large field with no electrical interference at all and the detector is resting on the ground, batteries are
new. I just thought the headphones were supposed to cut off all sounds from the speaker.

Could it be your headphone connection is loose? And when it's on the ground the connection slightly moving cutting in and out creating some sort of static.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
this is off the original subject, but has anyone else noticed random sounds emitting from the speaker on the at pro when the headphones are plugged in, and the random sounds are not coming thru the headphone ? this is in the middle of a large field with no electrical interference at all and the detector is resting on the ground, batteries are new. I just thought the headphones were supposed to cut off all sounds from the speaker.

Are you using the factory Garrett headphones? It takes a certain impedance to turn off the internal speaker. Most headphones fall into that range but some do not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread