AT Pro Question

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay! This thread goes out to all the seasoned AT Pro veterans working the beaches. Going to the coast in Atlantic City in a week with my brand new AT Pro in tow. Trying to get familiarized with it as best as I can beforehand. But, can anyone share what generic settings I can use in the wet and in the water to give me the best chance for success? I know that you have to do a ground balance going from the dry to the wet and back each time.

Whatever advice I can get is much appreciated.

Thanks

rockyredbaron

Upvote 0

Eddie Current

May 17, 2011
Flooorida
Detector(s) used
CTX /AT Pro / Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First thing to do is watch the video on the Garrett website a few times on using the ATPRO in salt water. The settings that work on one beach are not necessarily optimal for other beaches.

In dry sand I hunt in Pro Zero, just ground balance and hunt for the gold. Sometime gold WILL ring in at 41-42. (I dig anything above 40 on the beach as the digging is easy.)

In the damp sand/water - ground balance and back sensitivity off one or two notches. You will still probably get some feedback, but that is normal. Just play with the sensitivity.

REMEMBER: When you are done hunting, rinse the sand off the machine - the salt and sand can age the detector real fast if you do not clean it up. The sand can freeze up the cams if you do not rinse. Enjoy your hunting and tell us what you find.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the wet sand and water I auto ground balance and then drop the number a couple more. Say if it balances at 13, drop to 11. I use STANDARD mode and the zero setting. Start with sensitivity at 6 bars and drop down if its falsing. Here in Florida, I never have to go lower than 5 bars to run stable but all beaches are different. Keep your swings smooth and level with the ground at the end of your sweeps. You can run higher sensitivity in the dry sand but like you said you have to re ground balance...good luck and let us know how you do.

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I agree with Eddie Current and lookindown.

Also and this is very important: The first time I went in the water it was running great until sand got between the coil and coil cover (it went nuts) so if you use a cover take it off in the water.

OP
OP
rockyredbaron

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all your inputs. Very helpful. Glad to see there are some people out there that offer constructive help to a novice water hunter. Wish I lived closer to the beach.

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the most part, what Lookindown said. Just know that it you get a grunt-high-grunt (you'll know it when you hear it)' it's a bottle cap. Dig a few and you will understand. GB like he said. You will be to GB from dry to damp, damp to wet, wet to submerged. After that, just keep your SENS as high as you can without it falsing. ATPs do work in the salt. It's just a matter of where you are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread