gulfdaddy

Tenderfoot
Sep 26, 2011
tx
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got my first MD this week, an AT Pro. I read the owners manual and watched some tutorials on youtube. I can see that there is mountains to learn in the field. I went into the front yard and with in three feet I found a silver and turquoise ring my daughter had lost years ago. Cool! I went further and got a signal in the 80s range saying the object was at 8". I dug a 2'x2'x2' hole and never located the item. Not in the soil removed and AT indicated it was still at 6-8" when coil was at the bottom of the hole. Not sure how I should have proceeded.
Today I hunted for a couple of hours to the local park and found a hand full of new change and had a world of hits. The ground was sooo hard I passed for now on digging anything past 2". I did have some experiences with foil, pull tabs and bottle caps. z Good learning experience. I set the iron discriminator at around 35 which helps. One thing that puzzeled me was broken glass. It seemed to get hits as well. Can I put glass in a notch? I also seemed to get good hits around big tree roots near the surface that did not pan out and found that ant hills give a tone as well.
When you are looking near a park table slab and the iron disc. is set around 35 will the MD still mark when you pass rebar in the slab. I found my self getting hits about every 2' along the edge that were in the 70-80 range but never found the source. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Love the machine and hope to get to some "old" ground very soon. Thanks, Gary

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First target was probably a deep smashed aluminum can. They will show shallow but actually be deep. Swing the coil over the ground a foot or two. If your still getting a signal that's a big clue its a can.

Gulf the glass must have some sort of metal in it.

Anything else just holler.

tincansam

Jun 7, 2011
TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GULF , congrads on AT PRO , ive had mine a few weeks now and ive only own PI machines and for a short while a cheap over

sea's unit i quickly sold just after i bought it. ive had to learn a whole new world in metal detecting it seems. i can't beleave how

much i love my AT PRO. today i was in a reel trashy site signals every few inch's and i picked two nickels out of that mess in a

short square. now if they would have been gold rings i really would have been jumping for joy but i almost feel the same way

cause im startin to get better and better with this machine , i had problems learning saltwater and wet compact sand near the

shoreline but those days are behind me as well. if you get a false signal just pass over it a couple times without touching the

ground in the salt if something's their it will let you know.

HH cracker :icon_pirat:

cbcstamp

Jul 25, 2011
It is going to take a lot of reading and more detecting to learn the in's and out's of the AT Pro.

The Pro is a very simple machine to learn. Just takes practice and reading and the desire to learn.

I have had my Pro for 5 Months and have found 12 rings, over 700 quarters, 500 dimes and more little treasures than you could imagine. I read, ask lots of questions on the forum and practice, practice.

Just take your time enjoy the hobby and do pretty much the same. Lots of people here to answer your questions.

Congrats on your ring. People go for months and never find a ring.

You phantom target is probably a deep can. Raise your coil a foot above the target and see if you still get a good signal. That will help you determine how deep it is. Raise and lower the coil slowly listen and look for a change in tone and depth. That give you both depth and size.

Keep at it that the fun, learning.

The best part of the hobby is beautiful sun rises, sunsets and meeting new people. The little treasures come on their own.

OP
OP
G

gulfdaddy

Tenderfoot
Sep 26, 2011
tx
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the input so far guys.
One more At Pro question is this- Why when I get a signal that the coin is 8" down do I find it sometimes at 1-2"? happened twice today. Thanks

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
The depth reading should be pretty accurate for coin-sized objects. If you get an 8" depth indication on a 1"-2" deep coin, perhaps the center of the coil was not directly over the coin when it showed that indication. I try to pinpoint best as I can in the non-motion pinpoint mode. When it shows the shallowest depth, center of coil should be over coin. Of course with these DD coils, the beep will be elongated due to the entire length of the center of the coil reacting to metal. Best wishes, George (MN)

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gulfdaddy said:
Thanks for the input so far guys.
One more At Pro question is this- Why when I get a signal that the coin is 8" down do I find it sometimes at 1-2"? happened twice today. Thanks
With my AT pro, if a coin is almost touching the coil it will read 6 to 8 inches. If you get a deep coin reading lift your coil a couple of inches and you will get the true depth. If its deep it will still read deep or you will lose the signal, if its shallow it will read the correct depth when you swing a little higher above the ground. Quarters are bad about this, other coins not so much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread