AT PRO

waterdog

Sep 30, 2013
Thinking about buying a Garrett AT PRO. I'm new to the hobby but have always been interested in doing this. Just wondering if this is a good choice. I looked at an ACE250 but thought an AT PRO would be better. It certainly has more features. I just hope it's not too technical and over my head. Any pointers?

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go with the ATP -I actually traded in a Whites DFX (The most complicated MD in the business) to get away from the complication // Best move I ever made//

Not to say you cant tweek the ATP as you get used to it but it works great out of the box- Start off in STD Coin and get some time on it , then go to the PRO-Zero and go over the same ground. As prev. posted I took about 15 coins off a beach I had just carefully done in STD --Great fun ////
Now if it stops raining I'm going to try the neg. balance thing and hit the same place again If I get hits it will truly be amazing // Perry

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome waterdog, I own an AT Pro and logged many hours on it, I enjoy the machine. What do you plan or I should say where do you plan on using the MD? I haven't used mine in salt water so I can't comment on how it will work under those conditions, I have used it in lakes and streams and it works great.

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
The AT Pro is very user friendly (just read the manuel & pay attention to what it says) You can start out in the regular modes to learn then move on to the pro modes. You can easily start out with and grow into this detector saving you upgrade cost down the road to get a better detector. Dollar for dollar the AT Pro is a great detector compared to others with the same types of features and over all performance.

The key thing is to understand the ground balance procedures and understand the pro's & cons of proper sensitivity use in diffrent conditions (or you may be disapointed as a newbie by no fault of the detector just operator error). All this and how to adjust the detector correctly is explained cleary in the owners manuel.

Give it a little time and you will not regret getting the AT Pro as your first detector. It is truly an all terrain detector for coins,relics,jewlery, gold, beach & shallow water hunting. It is great in iron trash better than a lot of detectors out there after you understand the iron discrimination system of the detector you can take full advantage of what this feature has to offer in the field at iron infested sites.

The At Pro is my main go to detector for most if not all hunting applications at this time.

Best Regards & Safe Hunting To All,
Bill G

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm pretty sure Perry said exactly that Bill. "Works great out of the box" is pretty user friendly.

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
I'm pretty sure Perry said exactly that Bill. "Works great out of the box" is pretty user friendly.

Yes your right I did not have my eye class's on and mis-red the post & thougt Perry said I would not for some reason when he said I would go with (bad fine print vision), my bad.. I was up all night at work, I corrected my post... Thank you for catching that or I would have look like an idiot He He!!!!. Thanks again..

Happy Hunting To All,
Bill G

Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go with the ATP at call Bart at BigBoysHobbies.net. He will give you the best package deal along with super fast shipping. He is a straight shooter and gives great advice. In my ATP package I got a Lesche digging tool and a small steel shovel. Bart to add any unwanted crap either.

I have an ATP and it is much better than the Ace 250. You pay more than twice as much for the ATP but you will find much more as well. The learning curve on an Ace 250 is at least 100 hours and by the time you get 100 hours on the ATP you will be good enough to start picking up on nuances in different modes. I have somewhere near 300 hours on my ATP and I am always learning tricks and there is always help on this site.

The members on this site are great. I learn more all the time. Some guys can be a bit salty at times but they mean well and there is always someone to put them in their place. Most of it is all in fun though because some of these people been picking on each other for years.

sandyis

Oct 3, 2013
MArtell, CA
Detector(s) used
ace 250 pro pack, Garrett AT Pro pack w/ 5x8' coil, vibra-quatic 2 underwater hand held detector, Jobe 45" yellow jacket sluice, Blue bowl concentrate extractor and a few other toys.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be getting my Garrett AT Pro on Tuesday, and am looking for a little ease from my W DFX... LOL

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Pro can be used in standard mode...My wife was digging coins in our yard after 10 minutes of training using the standard mode. When you get comfortable with it u can step up to Pro mode and u will not "outgrow" this machine. The Ace 350 is also a consideration...it comes with a DD coil and a little more depth than the 250. But if the price doesnt bother u; go with the ATP...

OP
OP
waterdog

waterdog

Sep 30, 2013
Thanks for all the replies. After listening to what you guys had to say about the ATP, I'm definitely gonna go with one. I also was able to do a little research on the internet as well as Utube. As far as actually being able to put my hands on one was a different story. After all, here in central Arkansas, there's not that many places to go look at one and put your hands on it. However, I found a local distributer of Garret equipment in Lonoke Ar. that was extremely helpful. Along with what you folks had to say as well as his help, my mind is made up. As far as what my first plans are with it, I've got some local parks and schools that might be good for some coin and jewelry finds. There's also some lakes and streams fairly close to do some hunting as well as some old estates and homes that might be good to try. Now I just can't wait to get it from UPS. Shouldn't take more than a couple days. I'll let you know how things go.

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thinking about buying a Garrett AT PRO. I'm new to the hobby but have always been interested in doing this. Just wondering if this is a good choice. I looked at an ACE250 but thought an AT PRO would be better. It certainly has more features. I just hope it's not too technical and over my head. Any pointers?

Hi Waterdog,
Just over three months ago I never metal detected in my life. I purchased a cheap detector, decided I liked MD, did research for an upgrade detector, purchased an AT Pro, and now I'm totally hooked on the hobby. With my AT Pro finds, both in and out of the water, I've paid for my AT Pro over twice over with my finds.

Below is my first post on TNet and you can tell I was a bit excited at the time I wrote it. You will love the AT Pro and the learning curve is almost nonexistent. I look forward to seeing your future posts on TNet.
Bill

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/370747-new-md-hits-gold-silver-morning-beach-sand-southern-ca.html

Last edited:

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
waterdog that's great news. On a diffrent note, I know you probably already know this :happysmiley: but I mention this with good faith to all coming into the hobbie. Enjoy the hobbie and please use the detectors code of ethics to guide you along the way. Learn to pinpoint well dig and fill holes the right way according to the examples that come in your owners manuel or there are some great examples online. This way we all can keep a good reputation around the hobbie and continue to have the right to hunt without restricsions in parks and open public areas that for now allow detecting.

We all are keepers of the hobbie enjoy and good luck to you in your hunting efforts..:occasion14:

Hunt Safe All,
Bill G

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck with the AT Pro waterdog! It is definitely one you can grow into! First day with mine I scored an old nail at about a foot!:laughing7:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Pro all day long! Use Pro 0 and set descrim to 31 and have fun!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread