Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, its been a crazy weekend for me... I co-worker of mine invited me to a new piece of property he purchased in the country, and wanted me to help him find the well from the orginal home that was on the property.

He told me the property had a house on it that was torn down in the 20's and pointed me in that direction. I went out there on Saturday and he was leading me over to where he thought the old house was.

I was walking over there talking to him, when i started getting tons of hits.

i looked down and saw a rifle bullet laying on top of the ground that hadnt be shot yet.

I didnt think much about it until my detector started going off like crazy, i was noticing that there were about 10-15 bullets lying on top of the ground and none of them had been shot.

Then all of a sudden i got a BIG hit!!. I actually raised my degtector about 3 feet off the ground and was still picking it up.

When i got down about 18 inches or so, I found a bag of bullets that had been put into a ziplock bag.

To shorten this story up..

I ended up finding

5 quart sized bags full of ammo of all differnt types of guns....357...44...Shotgun shells

and then found a box that had about 1o more quart bags of shells...all in ziplock bags

I was in serious shock to find ANYTHING like this...the owners jaw was dropped the whole time i was digging this up

I spent about an hour digging up all the ammo, and i know i didnt get it all. But i never thought i would find someones ammo stashed before.

I also went out today for a couple hours ..went to an old park, and found my first Silver braclet!! I was pretty excited because i have found tons of rings, but never a braclet. It actaully rang up as a "60" on the ATP, which is a high gold signal...Also found a really good condition 1918-s Wheat Cent.

So all and all it was a pretty good weekend....Now if there were only some way for me to find all this junked up ammo valuable...

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• 10-26-2013.jpg
    10-26-2013.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 382
  • Bullets1.jpg
    Bullets1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 345
  • bullets2.jpg
    bullets2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 328
  • bullets3.jpg
    bullets3.jpg
    985.7 KB · Views: 357
  • !Silver Ring & Wheat.jpg
    !Silver Ring & Wheat.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 342
  • 1918s wheat.jpg
    1918s wheat.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 274
Upvote 10
OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very awesome………..great finds…..did you ever find the well?

No, Never did find the well, Spent more time then I should have digging up all these bullets.

The good thing is i found where the house was and the trash dump area, I found 6 mason can lids and a couple old procelin buttons and other old trash.

Going to have to make a few trips out there to find some real goodies!

Zee

Oct 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Infinium, Garrett Pro Pointer(x2), 30" Bazooka Prospector, Scuba Gear
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats pretty amazing! If there's a bullet stash like that could be someth'in else stashed up around there...

digger1

Feb 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds,that sure looks like a gold bracelet.

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's awesome! Is that the place out in my neck of the woods? Let me know if youd like a buddy to hunt with next time you head out here. We can find that well on your buddies place or try one of the places I know.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange, if they were burying ammo they probably stashed other stuff in the ground. If it were an old school prepper maybe they buried some silver nearby. Good luck on your search.

Steve

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say that someone with that mind set might have valuables buried closeby.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well in todays world you probably found ammo that WOULD HAVE BEEN worth way more than the average person would think. Great finds, and a poor job of stashing ammo for someone. Almost makes you wonder if it could have been stolen etc. I have been in and around the gun industry for years and know plenty of people who bury it for a "rainy day". Takes just a little effort to make it last a lifetime in the ground. One of the .22 lr cartridges and the fact that it is in ziplock bags let ya know that it hasn't been there over a couple of decades at the most. Brings tears to a Hillbilly's eyes to see all that ammo ruined.:dontknow:

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's awesome! Is that the place out in my neck of the woods? Let me know if youd like a buddy to hunt with next time you head out here. We can find that well on your buddies place or try one of the places I know.
Yes Sir, This was in Emory, I wanted to check it out first to see if it was even worth going too and so far i think i will be making some return trips. I was just glad I was able to find the old dump areas.

I will let you know when I head back out there for sure!

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well in todays world you probably found ammo that WOULD HAVE BEEN worth way more than the average person would think. Great finds, and a poor job of stashing ammo for someone. Almost makes you wonder if it could have been stolen etc. I have been in and around the gun industry for years and know plenty of people who bury it for a "rainy day". Takes just a little effort to make it last a lifetime in the ground. One of the .22 lr cartridges and the fact that it is in ziplock bags let ya know that it hasn't been there over a couple of decades at the most. Brings tears to a Hillbilly's eyes to see all that ammo ruined.:dontknow:

Thats actually what we were thinking when we found it.

It seemed like it was buried quickly and probally not for long term...So if the heat was on, it could have been a last effort to ditch some things...I just wonder what else he is hiding.

Owner said there was a very large trailor in that area that they had removed when he bought the property.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a prep per hiding stuff. Then again with rounds strewn on the ground it seems like so,eone who was trying to hide something quickly. Either way who ever did hide it, did not do a good job.

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a prep per hiding stuff. Then again with rounds strewn on the ground it seems like so,eone who was trying to hide something quickly. Either way who ever did hide it, did not do a good job.

Yea, We couldnt tell if the loose bullets were in bags orginally or what. It was unreal the amount of ammo.

I plan to return in a month or so...With Deer season coming up, I gotta be careful out there.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MAN!!!

All that ammo would def, be worth a purdy penny if it were in good shape. I agree either someone was in a hurry or did not know what they were doing[ how to do it]. I would like to see how the ammo would have done in Military type storage Boxes. A lesson on how NOT to bury ones Stash. Cool story & good luck on that property :pot-of-gold: "and elsewhere " in the future. Davers...:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All that ammo would def, be worth a purdy penny if it were in good shape. I agree either someone was in a hurry or did not know what they were doing[ how to do it]. I would like to see how the ammo would have done in Military type storage Boxes. A lesson on how NOT to bury ones Stash. Cool story & good luck on that property :pot-of-gold: "and elsewhere " in the future. Davers...:thumbsup:

Thanks Davers!

I was actually thinking "Maybe some it is salvagable"..But was told that it wouldnt be worth it to clean the bullets...Plus it doesnt sound too safe either....After my haul, I have 1-1/2 (5 gal) Buckets full of ammo.

Any Ideas on how to get rid of it?

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brings tears to a Hillbilly's eyes to see all that ammo ruined.
dontknow.gif
TN guns , your a one man army :laughing9: live on the beach and I got misty eyed :'(

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly a strange cache ! Congrats on the nice gold bracelet and the 1918 wheat cent. Good thing nobody decided to build a camp fire in that area.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I looked at the pic's of your cache, one song kept coming to mind ,,,, "Gimme back,gimme back my bullets" 8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread