At what point do YOU replace batteries in your detector?

Paul from SFbayarea

Mar 23, 2013
Union City, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you always wait until you get a low battery notification before changing them out? My worry is that if I wait til the low battery light comes on, I'm not getting the depth and sensitivity that I normally would with the full juice and power of newer batteries. I haven't swapped them out before the low battery light comes on, but I'm going to be detecting some really promising areas soon, and I'm just tempted to change them early and start fresh since the batteries currently in there have been in there for a quite awhile and have seen a lot of detecting sessions. I realize my Bounty Hunter probably doesn't have the depth capabilities of the higher end machines, so anything I can do to maximize my success rate will help. I guess another way to really ask this question is: Does a detector detect less when the batteries are a bit old? ...or do you get full power (depth) until the batteries die?

Upvote 0

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I would venture a guess that most detectors with displays give a low battery indication and all detectors have a low voltage cutoff. I doubt that the quality of pickup drops off much if any, My Surfmaster PI will pick up the same untill the battery check won't sound. Frank... 111-1 profile.jpg

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Number one rule--always keep a spare set of batteries in your truck. Normally I can tell when it's time to replace the batteries because the sounds get soft and sloppy. On machines I've had with a battery indicator display I've normally gotten good service until the meter hits or gets close to the E mark. BUT that's with good batteries. Generic batteries...like what often come with everything that includes batteries...might give you a week of use.

But yes if the indicator if half or less and I know I'm going out on a long hunt, I'll replace the batteries.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rechargebles fall off quickly but hold good to that point. There is no doubt when they need replacing. Regular batteries loose the charge more slowly but the circuitry lets you know when it is time to swap out before they go too low to affect sensitivity or depth. My Garretts have a "four tick" battery indicator. I replace them when they move to just one tick. TTC

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My understanding is that most detectors have a built-in voltage regulator that keeps the voltage constant until it drops below a certain point where the low battery indicator kicks in. Up to that point there should be no loss in any function. I always run the battery down until the indicator warns me and I haven't noticed any loss in detector functions toward the end of battery life. After the warning.....Yes....some of my machines will act up between the first warning and total battery death.

OP
OP
Paul from SFbayarea

Paul from SFbayarea

Mar 23, 2013
Union City, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the replies. My mind is now more at ease. Whether the batteries make the machine gradually lose sensitivity and depth, or just cut off power to the machine when they get low enough is a question that's been in my head for quite awhile. Since I'm still pretty new here, I figured I might as well just ask. My detector doesn't show a gradual decrease in battery power, but instead has a light that just comes on when the battery is low, which is why I always do keep an extra set of batteries on hand. So, I'm just going to continue to swing that coil then until that lil light comes on.

TerryC, I noticed you live in Murphys. My dad and aunt live there. Such a great place with a lot of history!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread