At what point do you stop digging?

Tony in Virginia

Dec 14, 2012
King and Queen County Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC / FISHER GOLDBUG
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This may be alittle off from the topic, but the deepest I have dug a hut site out was 8 feet, got to 6 feet and found a pile of stuff so went down 2 more feet. IT was so deep I had to bring a ladder. :occasion14:
Ha ha, I can relate to that. I've actually used a backhoe on occasion. Not like Rick Savage. It was to remove the fill layer to get down to original grade. Good Hunting.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, this is a true one. One time friends of mine were digging out a circa 1750 outhouse and when they had dug as deep as they could by hand, yup...you guessed it...they brought in a backhoe! (No kidding, I mean it, really, I swear, I'm not full of it, no the out house wasn't full of it either, I mean it was 200 years ago, but it rotted away, we'll... I mean it was still full of goodies, like a few coins...but mostly.......whiskey bottles, true! We figured the man of the house was a closet drinker and used the outhouse to dispose of the evidence, really...I'm not kidding) Not about the backhoe either. HH :)

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
bbcamay

bbcamay

Dec 29, 2012
Summerville, SC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twinkletoes said:
OK, this is a true one. One time friends of mine were digging out a circa 1750 outhouse and when they had dug as deep as they could by hand, yup...you guessed it...they brought in a backhoe! (No kidding, I mean it, really, I swear, I'm not full of it, no the out house wasn't full of it either, I mean it was 200 years ago, but it rotted away, we'll... I mean it was still full of goodies, like a few coins...but mostly.......whiskey bottles, true! We figured the man of the house was a closet drinker and used the outhouse to dispose of the evidence, really...I'm not kidding) Not about the backhoe either. HH :)

This is hilarious!!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

Ok all kidding aside.....I was quietly sipping on a glass of merlot......I read this post and luckily I had swallowed it before reading because it would have been all over me keyboard.....lol.

Talk about bathroom humor......I'm starting to think that bbcamay is crazier than me but somehow I don't think that's possible.....I'll have to get a professional opinion from my buddy Crispin....ROFL.

Regards + HH

Bill

This is hilarious!!

WVCOINHUNTER

Jan 19, 2012
Vienna, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, XP MI6, Garrett Pro Pointer, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes there can be a large piece of iron in the ground that is giving off a halo effect around the object. This will sometimes cause you to get a good tone, when it's like Phanntom said about the manhole cover. A pinpointer will help, because I have dug deep before only to find out I missed the target by 1/2" to 1". If the tone doesn't change once you've removed the plug and dug a little, you've probably dug beside it! Just a thought. Good luck, and keep swinging, and hope you find all that you are looking for!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WVCOINHUNTER ,

Good advice....the fact is if you have a very strong signal the trick is to move the coil about 4/6" above the ground.....if the signal is still strong it's probably a big chunk of junk.....just a reality check for future hunts....

btw you're probably one of the few posters recently who's been lucid on this thread....I'm starting to get bored....might go back to the everything else section of the forum and visit the twilight zone....be afraid....be very afraid....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This wouldn't have been in Stafford,Virginia? 1750 courthouse in a spot i use to dig in, you can tell someone brought a backhoe in and was digging around.... :occasion14:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bbcamay,

Earth calling bbcamay......are you there?......over and out....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeff,

LOL.....well if you want the thread to hit 2000 posts.....you use whatever tactics you can.....see there is a method to my madness...lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeff,

LOL.....well if you want the thread to hit 2000 posts.....you use whatever tactics you can.....see there is a method to my madness...lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Ahhhhh, good on ya mate. we are getting close

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bbcamay,

He's an optimist....he goes by the philosophy that the glass is half full......me on the other hand when the glass is half empty I go back for a refill.....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Close? It's only at 94!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sshhhhh Bill? she's baaaackkk

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
and I didn't meant 2000 comments. views

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bbcamay,

He's an optimist....he goes by the philosophy that the glass is half full......me on the other hand when the glass is half empty I go back for a refill.....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Nah Bill, I just like a challenge. Although I figure 97% viewed only because of the avatar

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeff,

Using that approach were at 1682 out of 2000 views...or 84% of the way there......and here I thought it was our witty commentary that was attracting all the attention.....bbcamay just has to bat her eyelashes and it's like drawing bees to honey.....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

and I didn't meant 2000 comments. views

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread