Ate my wheaties and was rewarded with silver dessert!

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
So I got out for a little hunt today with my Dad... in the woods... nice open areas... but we figured it might have been hit over the years so I geared up with my small 6" coil first. Well that was a waste of time because even though I was putting the small coil in places the 11" wouldn't go, I wasn't finding much. Turns out that everything was right out in the open areas... after switching to my large Pro coil... the finds started coming. And my heart started to ease up because I was actually making ground rather quickly now that I had 5 more inches of coverage. You're heart just beats fast when you are crawling around with a 6" coil and your hunting buddy keeps finding old coin after old coin.

So my first silver for the day was the '44p war nickel... and it rang up as a solid 12-13 on the E-Trac. This is the first silver nickel I've dug with the E-Trac... I thought they would have rang up higher than 12-13... guess not. Then about 6 wheats later I heard a nice weeeep of a high tone and started to back track a little to find it. At just the right angles it started to sing a nice 12-46/47 tone. I knew it was going to be a quarter, and out popped the '42 GW. Amen for a creek not too far away from me. After that I think I got 2 more wheaties for a total of 10 wheaties. Two 1919 wheats were the oldest, one of which is a nice greenie.

So for a while there my Dad was up to 12 silver for the year, beating me by 2... now we are tied again :) Hehehehee!

I'm starting to really enjoy woods hunting :) Although, two of my wheaties were at 8"+ in the woods... that was weird. I thought they must just be on edge at first, but I had to keep digging and digging so they couldn't have been.

04072009.jpg

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a sweet honey hole you guys got there! Nice digs :thumbsup:

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Man, you really poured it on towards the end. Great coins! Are you sure a war nickel should count as a silver though...? Maybe 2 of them should equal 1 silver, ok? That way I'm ahead by 1/2. Oh well...the lead was fun while it lasted.
So did you find any clad there at all?

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Heh heh, if you found a silver nickel I bet you'd be counting it ;) I know you know there is plenty of silver content in a nickel... which is why you count them. I also count them because they are hard to find IMO, only 4 years of them. Funny though.

Yeah, toward the end I started pulling a McEtrak and speed hunting. If I could have been more coordinated with my pouch and digger, I would have been faster. I had my Minelab digger and my zipper pouch because I left my other stuff at home. Well the minelab digger is a piece of crap and it's already starting to bend. My pouch zipper kept getting stuck and I'd fight with it for while to make sure it was good and closed.

I'd like to add that the area the quarter and nickel were in was loaded with iron... my detector was in a constant null but I just kept sweeping at a decent pace... you can definitely tell the difference between the iron falsing and coin hits. That quarter just jumped out even though it ended up being a tricky signal.

I found one memorial around the hot spot... but it was a fluke... then later on the way out I found two nice lookin' late 60's early 70's mems right on top... under some leaves. They were preserved above and below some leaves. But that's it... everything else was a guaranteed wheatie or silver... gotta love that! I kept wishing for some indians but it wasn't happening.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job!!!! I count the War Nickels twards my total as they are 35% silver. :thumbsup:

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Nice finds Brett!
It's a good thing you guys tried that place again cuz it's definitely paying off.
Mike

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brett, nice hunt! Haven't found a war nickel yet this year. . . hopefully soon :P

Take care!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Brett said:
I'd like to add that the area the quarter and nickel were in was loaded with iron... my detector was in a constant null but I just kept sweeping at a decent pace... you can definitely tell the difference between the iron falsing and coin hits. That quarter just jumped out even though it ended up being a tricky signal.

Nice finds, Brett!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I know what you mean about the 6" coil frustration! :-\ ;D

When that George was hiding in the iron null, did it sing out all the time - even when you turned 90 degrees & swung again?

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Kimsdad said:
Brett said:

Nice finds, Brett!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I know what you mean about the 6" coil frustration! :-\ ;D

When that George was hiding in the iron null, did it sing out all the time - even when you turned 90 degrees & swung again?

Thanks guys!

Neil, the quarter sounded pretty good at one angle but at various angles it was a little different. It's hard to explain, but basically if it seems good, I go for it... then it's just a matter of where it is exactly, so I turn a little here and a little there to get the 'X' over the spot.

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Brett said:
Neil, the quarter sounded pretty good at one angle but at various angles it was a little different. It's hard to explain, but basically if it seems good, I go for it... then it's just a matter of where it is exactly, so I turn a little here and a little there to get the 'X' over the spot.

Thanks, Brett! :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread