ATP GROUND BALANCE ISSUE

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt the beach with my ATP and what the last few guys are saying is correct. You do not have to return your machine this is normal for any single frequency detector although you have the option/availability to ground balance often. I GB for dry sand and work an S pattern in the dry only which usually the GB # is in the 60-70 area once I've cleared a large area of dry I then go to the wet and GB and the numbers go down to the teens and I hunt only the wet. If you run back and forth between then how can you expect anything other than falsing. I learned how I do it from a guy who makes his living at this using a similar machine. If i can find a pea sized piece of silver a foot deep in wet sand so can you as long as you GB it plus switch your frequencies and sensitivity till you get the least chatter.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

maliaros

Jul 4, 2013
Larnaca
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP, Garrett EUROACE, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
the problem is that i just can't GB, it bounces in 40-50 range and can't go down to 10s to quiet, and its the same in several beaches. if its the connector it will show today.
I hunt the beach with my ATP and what the last few guys are saying is correct. You do not have to return your machine this is normal for any single frequency detector although you have the option/availability to ground balance often. I GB for dry sand and work an S pattern in the dry only which usually the GB # is in the 60-70 area once I've cleared a large area of dry I then go to the wet and GB and the numbers go down to the teens and I hunt only the wet. If you run back and forth between then how can you expect anything other than falsing. I learned how I do it from a guy who makes his living at this using a similar machine. If i can find a pea sized piece of silver a foot deep in wet sand so can you as long as you GB it plus switch your frequencies and sensitivity till you get the least chatter.

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then push it down there manually!
Sometimes mine doesn't go down there
either so I do it manually until I get the
quite tone (between high and low)!
Pete
What state are you in M?

the problem is that i just can't GB, it bounces in 40-50 range and can't go down to 10s to quiet, and its the same in several beaches. if its the connector it will show today.

OP
OP
M

maliaros

Jul 4, 2013
Larnaca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
It doesn't get quiet either on manual GB.
I have tried it yesterday in a clear spot on wet sand,with sens on 3 bars from 99 to 00 and at every single digit it was singing.
Today I have managed to put the coil connector al the way in with mechanical help!!
I haven't test it but my common sense sais that it will not make any difference.

Then push it down there manually!
Sometimes mine doesn't go down there
either so I do it manually until I get the
quite tone (between high and low)!
Pete
What state are you in M?

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
See this is what I was thinking as well mayb its not the detector but where its being used cuz I thought it was said its fine on land but go to the beach & to that spot runs erraticly. The pro can b used in water salt but sensitivity has to b adjusted low & a manual gb

I use my AT Pro on the beach every day. I've found that different local beaches - only a few miles apart will require different ground balance and discrim settings. This is how I get it to work without falsing at each beach.

1. When you first get to the beach, go to an area where you plan to detect and turn the detector on.

2. Wait about a minute. Then hold the detector about an inch above the sand, and hold down the power button for ten seconds until you hear two beeps. This resets the detector.

3. Put the detector in Zero Pro mode.

4. Set the iron audio to off.

5. Run the discrimination up to 30

6. Start detecting.

7. If you start to get false signals, drop the sensitivity down two notches.

8. If you move to a different density of sand and start getting false signals, press and hold the ground balance button while moving the coil up and down about two inches above the ground.

When you move to a new beach, start with #1 above.

Bill

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GuerillaBill said:
I use my AT Pro on the beach every day. I've found that different local beaches - only a few miles apart will require different ground balance and discrim settings. This is how I get it to work without falsing at each beach.

1. When you first get to the beach, go to an area where you plan to detect and turn the detector on.

2. Wait about a minute. Then hold the detector about an inch above the sand, and hold down the power button for ten seconds until you hear two beeps. This resets the detector.

3. Put the detector in Zero Pro mode.

4. Set the iron audio to off.

5. Run the discrimination up to 30

6. Start detecting.

7. If you start to get false signals, drop the sensitivity down two notches.

8. If you move to a different density of sand and start getting false signals, press and hold the ground balance button while moving the coil up and down about two inches above the ground.

When you move to a new beach, start with #1 above.

Bill

Hi Bill,
Does a factory reset actually do anything for setting up the detector for the particular beach? I was under the impression that no settings are saved unless you are in pro custom mode after the detector is turned off. I also noticed that you didn't have him do a GB after the factory reset unless he moved to a different part of the beach. Does it automatically GB after a factory reset without holing the button and pumping the coil?
Thanks!

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maliaros I wish I was near you so I could come out and lend a hand. I've just not seen this kind of trouble out of two ATPs. After what I wrote about balancing it for wet sand and then staying in the wet sand or the same with dry are you still getting chatter? If you are did you change your frequencies between the four options? Those and sensitivity are what quiets the chatter. If the pro mode is giving you so much trouble why not switch to standard mode GB as you move back and forth. I hope you will follow the tip of sticking to dry or wet area and then GB when you decide to hit the different soil. Also do you have a coil protector on? If you get your coil wet that salty water that gets trapped in there can cause issues.

OP
OP
M

maliaros

Jul 4, 2013
Larnaca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Maliaros I wish I was near you so I could come out and lend a hand. I've just not seen this kind of trouble out of two ATPs. After what I wrote about balancing it for wet sand and then staying in the wet sand or the same with dry are you still getting chatter? If you are did you change your frequencies between the four options? Those and sensitivity are what quiets the chatter. If the pro mode is giving you so much trouble why not switch to standard mode GB as you move back and forth. I hope you will follow the tip of sticking to dry or wet area and then GB when you decide to hit the different soil. Also do you have a coil protector on? If you get your coil wet that salty water that gets trapped in there can cause issues.

at the dry sand it can GB and get quiet with some effort in the 80s range (a number that i believe is to high) when i move to wet sand and attempt to GB the digits on the display are bouncing in the 50s and 40s range. i have tried all 4 frequencies and also standard mode. the coil cover is removed.

i wish i had somebody near me to help, am left alone with 2,000,000 tourist that are getting drunk and loosing jewelries and i can help the recycling.

thanks

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
You aren't by any chance carrying a cell phone in your pocket while detecting? If so, power it down, or leave it in the car.

Frequency shifting cell phones in close proximity can definitely cause interference with the detector and generate false signals.

Same is true with some other electrical devices - they can cause false signals in your detector. If there is a radio or cell tower nearby, try changing the frequency on the AT Pro.

Bill

mario1972

Greenie
Jul 25, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garett At Pro International NEL HUNTER 8.5x12.5 DD ,5x8DD,Propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi !

I have had the same problem but in peatbog area . There is no way to GB properly At Pro in this area at all. I just put the small 5x8 DD coil and all problems with GB has gone .

Mario .

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Miliaros,
Just try this:
Manually ground balance your number down to 15 lets say. (wet sand)
Lower your sensitivity down one click at a time until everything
settles down.
Most everyone who use this machine seems to balance down in these low
numbers and I just cant see why yours wouldn't either...
I truly think the machine is fine as well as the first one you had but
your just (thinking) that its not ground balancing when it really is.
Even if you think it's not balanced, just lay a coin down in the sand and
go over it... I bet that thing will still scream at you.

Pete

OP
OP
M

maliaros

Jul 4, 2013
Larnaca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I will give it a try tomorrow if I manage to escape from the womens(wife & daughter).
Thanks.
Miliaros,
Just try this:
Manually ground balance your number down to 15 lets say. (wet sand)
Lower your sensitivity down one click at a time until everything
settles down.
Most everyone who use this machine seems to balance down in these low
numbers and I just cant see why yours wouldn't either...
I truly think the machine is fine as well as the first one you had but
your just (thinking) that its not ground balancing when it really is.
Even if you think it's not balanced, just lay a coin down in the sand and
go over it... I bet that thing will still scream at you.

Pete

OP
OP
M

maliaros

Jul 4, 2013
Larnaca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
a gave it a test today with all as advised, velcro ties,the connector fully inserted,slow auto G.B, manual G.B, low sens, zero disc and it didn't even GB on the dry sand - bouncing digits in 45-50 range and falsing in every swing.
tomorrow morning my second ATP within a month will have its last trip to the dealer and am done it.
i can't afford at this time to have 2 metal detectors one for land and one for beach/surf so i will reclaim my ACE350 plus the extra 300 EURO i paid for the ATP.
I will enjoy the good dry sand and fair wet sand hunting that my ACE350 can give me and save the 300 euro + any savings that i will make for a future purchase of a PI detector.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't mind me,I'm just subscribing to this thread for future reference.I do hope you get your next AT pro working properly.

OP
OP
M

maliaros

Jul 4, 2013
Larnaca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I really don't have a clue what's wrong or what's the possibility to receive 2 faulty APT within a month but since they can't work as advertased it's not my problem.
Maybe the machines are not suitable for the 40c and the 80% huminity of my Country Cyprus.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is very strange I know the earlier ones had problems like any new thing, but that was taken care of since then I haven't seen anyone with as many problems as u seem to b having does stink, mayb there's another person with a Atpro close near u mayb to compare

OP
OP
M

maliaros

Jul 4, 2013
Larnaca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
i am the only ATP owner in Cyprus.
this is my luck.

It is very strange I know the earlier ones had problems like any new thing, but that was taken care of since then I haven't seen anyone with as many problems as u seem to b having does stink, mayb there's another person with a Atpro close near u mayb to compare

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh that stinks Sry dude

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry you're having these problems, just so odd. I'm on the east coast of USA and lately we've had 100 degree temperatures and humidity in the 80-90% and I've hit the beach with no problems,well i had problems with the heat the machine kept going.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread