ATPro

along15

Greenie
Jul 22, 2013
Wichita, KS
Being new to the hobby and after doing some research I've decided to jump into an ATPro as my first detector. My reasons being I love water and anytime I can find an excuse to head to the river I jump right on it. After reading the threads on this machine I can tell that there is a dedicated group of user and as in anything there are brand loyal people who will defend their brand to the death. As not to start any trouble I was curious to how well these detectors do in fresh water? I am interested in coins both on land and in rivers as well as in historical items. I figure the best way to get an honest opinion is to go directly to the source. Also is the Garret Pin Pointer waterproof? I have seen them used on YouTube but can't find one that says on the box it is. Well thank you for your time and I am open to all opinions.

UnrepentantSinner

Sep 12, 2012
NW KS
Detector(s) used
Deus, AT GOLD, AT PRO, TM-818, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Pro is a great machine for the money, you should be very happy with it. I haven't used mine in fresh water so I will leave that for others. The Garrett pin pointer isn't waterproof, I believe the speaker is the weak link there. If you do some searching there are work arounds for that. Good luck!

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'll definitely be happy with your purchase! The ATP will find it for you no doubt, just remember it takes time to learn what it's telling you. It does very well in freshwater. Congrats on your new machine! As already stated, the pro pointer is NOT waterproof. You can waterproof it, but i don't have the courage to attempt it. Other pointers are waterproof, however a good scoop or sift will work just as well.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stick my AT PRO in water all the time and it works great. I plan on hitting a few swimming holes in the next couple of weeks with my 'New Grey Ghost headphones too. As for the Pro Pointer it is NOT waterproof and the instructions state how far in the water it can be allowed to get wet. I personally never get mine wet, and only clean it with a damp rag. Also, to protect it I covered the on-off button and speaker with electrical tape just encase it does get near water or mud. Enjoy your machine; I enjoy mine.

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the At Pro in fresh water lakes a lot, up to "chest deep" without problems, it also great on land. For water hunting I use the Stealth Classic Scoop and I don't use the Pro Pointer for water hunting because I havent found the need, some people vacuum seal the Pro Pointer for water hunting. I have no regerts in buying the At Pro or the Pro Pointer.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro is fine in fresh water and I have had no leaks so far. Naturally I don't dive with it as I have better detectors for that. I never use the screen while in the water but am thinking of trying Grey Ghost headphones but haven't found a need with the waterproof Garrett headphones yet.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Pro Pointer isn't waterproof. but most water hunters use a scoop or sifter so a Pin Pointer isn't needed. Let me know if I can help you with your purchase.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

OP
OP
along15

along15

Greenie
Jul 22, 2013
Wichita, KS
I guess that would make sense. Thank you for the information. I will definitely being picking up a scoop as well now.

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
/cough, slight correction here.... The Pro Pointer may not be water proof to 10 feet, but in the instructions it says it can be fully rinsed off in water, so I have been using mine in creeks and small streams and fully submerging it. Not to 10 feet or anything crazy, but max depth while in my hand will cover my golves I wear while digging so maybe 12 inches max. Hey its still under warranty so shoot me hehehehe

OP
OP
along15

along15

Greenie
Jul 22, 2013
Wichita, KS
Well I might give that a try. Saw a minelab one that says its waterproof but then in the product video it's only rinsable as well. VibraTech has one that looks just like a mini MD and might give that a try as well. I know for sure I want the pro point for land just worried the scoop won't work as well in the clay down here

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I might give that a try. Saw a minelab one that says its waterproof but then in the product video it's only rinsable as well. VibraTech has one that looks just like a mini MD and might give that a try as well. I know for sure I want the pro point for land just worried the scoop won't work as well in the clay down here

Find a scoop with a kickplate so you can push it into the clay with your foot like a shovel. They're more expensive, but well worth it. You can find them slightly cheaper on auction sites. Stainless over aluminium.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the river has a clay bottom, you will have to help the scoop drain with your hands. A shovel and sifter can also be good to use in heavy wet clay.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the ATP will serve you well, I researched 3 machines, (all same price range) at the risk of starting a brand fanboy battle I wont name the other 2. I spoke with a few vendors and the ATP won their vote unanimously, the ATP is 100% waterproof where the others were not, better coil, frequency and plenty more features the others lacked, it was a no brainer for me I haven't regretted my decision once. I will be honest I looked at 2 machines after I bought my ATP, both nearly 2x the cost but yet still lack the features I like in my ATP. Go for it, and HH.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi along15,
I bought an ATPro and used it in Myrtle Beach all week long and it worked awesome. I found a 925 silver bracelet and a platinum with white gold inlay ring. I ran it on full sensitivity and never had falsing or chatter and pulled coins at 6 inches. I normally use a Whites V3i and I can tell you for the money I'm very impressed. I will be using the AT Pro now anytime I'm in a wet area or when its raining. Good luck with your hunts!

Last edited:

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Along15, I too chose the AT Pro for my first detector, and Love it! I haven't had it in the water yet but that is why I went with it in part. AS for the Garrett Pro-pointer, Aquachigger on youtube has a video showing how he waterproofed his pro-pointer, it does void the warranty however but seems to work well for him, he does a lot of water hunting, which is what inspired me to get into it and buy the AT Pro! Check out his link.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions