Attack of the Zeroes

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the many zero-feedback buyers who love my auctions won yesterday. Didn't want to cancel his bid for fear of collapsing the bid chain (a move that lost me a hundred dollars a few months ago), and he ended up winning.

His registered address is in the middle of nowhere (a wilderness retreat/summer camp to be precise), and he is now asking that I send the item, a $300 gold ring, to Canada where he is "stuck" until January.

What's the least painful way out of this one? Insult to injury: the ring sold below scrap, so if there's any clean exit strategy I will take it.

If I have to ship to this guy - now in Canada - what's the best way to cover myself?

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
You only have to ship to the address on file. If he asks you to ship to any other address, you do not have to do so and I would encourage you not to do so.

OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand, but what if he updates his address on file?

Assuming he pays and updates his address to something in Canada, I guess I'll bite the bullet and ship it... if there's a safe way to do so.

Assuming he digs in and doesn't pay, and won't cancel the transaction, what's the fastest way to be rid of him while still being in the right as far as eBay is concerned? I'll have to wait 48 hours and open a nonpayment case, right?

leadnbrass

Apr 2, 2005
Shenandoah Valley VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you offer to ship to Canada in your listing? If not I think the easiest way is to cancel the transaction and let him know that's the reason.

As stated above though...the verified address is the only one I'd ship to.

Something seems fishy.

OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did offer international shipping. His registered address is in the US though.

Yeah... someone "stuck in Canada" on business needs a big chunk of gold sent to them, please and thank you. Let me get right on that....

Why can't we block 0% bidders again?

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
registered address only

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one reason I re-enlisted in the global shipping program. Any international buyers can pay the extra money (for my own shipping protection) or they can go elsewhere, I really don't care. As for the guy's "registered eBay address (only)", if it is in the US, your covered as long as you ship it insured and w/ sig. con.. If it is in Canada, then you have two choices, pay the high insured shipping rates to guarantee it gets there or cancel the order w/ item lost or no longer available. You can check his registered address simply by clicking print label. As stated, do not send to any other address other than the one listed on eBay.

OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not wanting to sit on this any longer as gold plummeted, I unilaterally cancelled the transaction (at least I think I did... buyer was incommunicado and I just clicked "cancel transaction", the request immediately cleared).

I think a few of you are under the impression that he actually paid - he didn't - so I waited 48 hours and pulled the above move. Reported him and received an MC999 Suspicious Buyer For Item notice from eBay, so I guess they took my comments seriously.

Now it sits at $300 BIN with no action... since $300 is now ABOVE scrap...

Two new zeroes swooping in on some more auctions ending in a couple hours. Both registered in China. We'll see how it goes...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread