Attention: Owners Of Tnet And All Who Post On The GS Forum

Are you in favor of an eBay Sub forum on here?

• Total voters

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'd like the idea more if the garage sale find forum was a lot more active in general. Maybe eBay as a subcategory would change that, maybe not.

Like a few have said before I really feel that eBay and garage sales or what have you go hand on hand.

One such scenario that seems silly to me is this:

A user buys something at a garage sale. User posts on garage sale forum about find. User then starts speaking of how to sell it and eBay becomes the likely topic. Other users insist he make the post in a subcategory of the same forum. Just seems a little redundant to me.

As I said before, I don't really care one way the other as a reader. One more click into a sub forum isn't going to stop me from reading. I do feel like it would turn into splitting hairs in some cases for posters who wish to discuss the find and the sale. If a thread starts off as a find and turns into an eBay discussion, does it then get moved to the eBay thread? Or would the user have to repost another topic in the eBay subcategory? Yes some posters will post the same topic in two different threads such a today's finds and what's it worth, but these aren't subcategories of each other either. I don't necessarily think eBay should be its own category, but that may make slightly more sense.

After having this thought roll around in my head for the duration of this post and assuming that a change is wanted, here is my final verdict:

Attempt making eBay its own category. This could be a place for finds & sales. Heck, if it became active enough give it its own subcategories to break up any combination of sales, buys and/or inquiries. I think by giving eBay its own category in the treasure hunting forum it would produce the greatest likelihood of bringing more traffic to the site. Plus, this would break up the codependency of garage sales & eBay a bit.

I actually have convinced myself that this is a very good idea by this point. As someone mentioned, include other sites like amazon and Craigslist as well.

Hope this is something everyone can agree on :p

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
What I'm finding interesting is that while nearly all the comments I'm reading here are positive, the poll shows otherwise. The "yes" votes are winning but not by a landslide. There have been 17 people so far who have voted no. Speak up guys and tell us why you think it's a bad idea.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I'm finding interesting is that while nearly all the comments I'm reading here are positive, the poll shows otherwise. The "yes" votes are winning but not by a landslide. There have been 17 people so far who have voted no. Speak up guys and tell us why you think it's a bad idea.

I voted no for the poll for the reasons stated in my last post. I would, however, be interested in making eBay its own forum much more so than a subcategory. If it did not not retain/gain activity, well, merge it back it into the garage sales forum. A worthwhile experiment, IMO.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6 or 7 of those votes came from members who don't even frequent this forum or maybe made a comment once or twice. One newbie has a total of 3 posts, none here. IMO, they shouldn't even count per the title but whatever.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I voted no for the poll for the reasons stated in my last post. I would, however, be interested in making eBay its own forum much more so than a subcategory. If it did not not retain/gain activity, well, merge it back it into the garage sales forum. A worthwhile experiment, IMO.
If that is the case you should have voted yes then.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that is the case you should have voted yes then.

But the poll states if I am in favor of eBay as a sub forum on here. I am not in favor of that. :P I'm playing for my own team and offering a third alternative. The only reason I like eBay as its OWN forum is that there is a possibility that it could take off and MAYBE stand alone. I am still in favor of it being as it is currently, assuming that it would not increase in activity in its own forum. I think it should be given a trial, perhaps of one month or so, to see how it works out.

My bottom line is that eBay and garage sales should not be subcategories of one another. Such a thin line between them to begin with.. and then to put them that closely together blurs the line too much, IMO. I feel if users want the two separated, put eBay and other internet sales/buys on their own.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
But the poll states if I am in favor of eBay as a sub forum on here. I am not in favor of that. :P I'm playing for my own team and offering a third alternative. The only reason I like eBay as its OWN forum is that there is a possibility that it could take off and MAYBE stand alone. I am still in favor of it being as it is currently, assuming that it would not increase in activity in its own forum. I think it should be given a trial, perhaps of one month or so, to see how it works out.

My bottom line is that eBay and garage sales should not be subcategories of one another. Such a thin line between them to begin with.. and then to put them that closely together blurs the line too much, IMO. I feel if users want the two separated, put eBay and other internet sales/buys on their own.

I understand your point but I think maybe you are over thinking it. It isnt really our decision anyway.

The point here is to preserve the garage sales forum and keep it the way it has always been. The compromise is to allow the many folks who want to discuss all things ebay to have their own place for such discussion.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand your point but I think maybe you are over thinking it. It isnt really our decision anyway.

The point here is to preserve the garage sales forum and keep it the way it has always been. The compromise is to allow the many folks who want to discuss all things ebay to have their own place for such discussion.

I am thinking, sure. Over thinking, perhaps. I enjoy venturing down the roads of possibilities and finding the best suitable outcomes. I've been under the impression that this isn't our decision, but I was under the impression that this is an acceptable place for users to discuss the options, no?

Also I have to disagree with your last statement. This does not seem, to me anyway, to be a way to "allow the many folks who want to discuss all things ebay to have their own place". This seems a lot more like there are users who do not want eBay to be discussed amongst the topic of garage sales and are fighting to have the two segregated. Unless I am mistaken, the users who discuss eBay topics do not have a problem with where such topics are currently discussed. This to me doesn't matter one way or another - either way the users with wants should have their voices heard.

In all seriousness, though, what do you think of eBay, etc having it's own category under Treasure Hunting? I'm rather curious if that would be accepted by the users of this site and perhaps a better option in the eyes of those who make decisions here?

Last edited:
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This seems a lot more like there are users who do not want eBay to be discussed amongst the topic of garage sales and are fighting to have the two segregated. Unless I am mistaken, the users who discuss eBay topics do not have a problem with where such topics are currently discussed. This to me doesn't matter one way or another - either way the users with wants should have their voices heard.

In all seriousness, though, what do you think of eBay, etc having it's own category under Treasure Hunting? I'm rather curious if that would be accepted by the users of this site and perhaps a better option in the eyes of those who make decisions here?
I have no problem with ebay having it's own category. Maybe the term sub forum shouldn't have been used. Ebay should have it's own discussion forum, period. I would just like to see the items that we find at garage sales, thrift stores, estate sales, auctions, etc. separate from the ebay discussion threads, that's all. Don't get me wrong. I reply to most threads posted in this section anyway, be it ebay or gs finds. And I will continue to post in both, whether they are separated or not.

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I have no problem with ebay having it's own category. Maybe the term sub forum shouldn't have been used. Ebay should have it's own discussion forum, period. I would just like to see the items that we find at garage sales, thrift stores, estate sales, auctions, etc. separate from the ebay discussion threads, that's all. Don't get me wrong. I reply to most threads posted in this section anyway, be it ebay or gs finds. And I will continue to post in both, whether they are separated or not.

Agree 100%. Very well stated.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the idea of the GS forum including estate sales, TS, auctions, CL and it could include "Dumpster Diving" as well since that is a form of acquiring second hand items. "Ebay Etc. selling forum" could possibly replace the "Dumpster Diving" forum then. Sounds pretty easy....just change the names of these two forums?!?! Leave all the previous posts where they are and just go forward from here? I to would read and post to both forums but I think it would make it much easier to find old posts to refer back to. This is a great forum and sometimes change is good. It doesn't seem to be a huge change, just a bit more "organized" .....

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a general discussion forum on buying and selling? Or is there one already?

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I didn't actually mean re-naming the forums, It just seemed like the people asking "why not make estate sales have their own forum?" didn't really get why we wanted to make a distinction between the two, I was trying to clarify.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote yes. There is a dumpster diving sub-forum, there isn't any reason not to add one for ebay issues. As for renaming this forum, I don't see the need for it. Auction hunting, thrift store finds, and garage sale finds have co-existed and have been posted in this forum for years without any confusion.

My vote for new sub-forum name: "All Things Ebay".

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what happens when someone posts a garage sale find and in that post they ask for selling advice? Are they then directed to the new ebay forum? Or do they have to make two separate posts to start? Or is it still ok if ebay advice is given because this should not be so serious? The two things go hand in hand because most people buy "garage sale" items, but then sell it on ebay, and if you start picking that apart and creating separate forums it just creates a mess of what you can and can't say, and you'll always be wondering where to post a topic. If there's any change that makes sense it's you change the name from garage sales finds to something else and just let everything go. I'm at a loss why people would rather a less busy forum no matter what the subject matter is, because pretty much everyone here gets in on anything that is posted. Even though I personally care a lot less than it probably sounds like, I still have to throw my 2 cents into a topic that I see as totally pointless and unnecessary. if it happens, all good, not going to be life changing, but I'm definitely a NO vote. People vote for common sense, vote NO on proposition E. :thumbsup:

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I concur. If the people buying at garage sales are selling those items on E-Bay. Don't mention how much you sold it for in the garage sale forum. Maybe we should ask the government to pick and choose Treasurenet forums and its content. That should make everyone Happy. Oh and forget about the moderators who do a GREAT job directing threads to the correct forum. This whole discussion is ridiculus.

Last edited:

Edmundruffin

Aug 17, 2010
West Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Groundhawk for metal, eyeballs for stone
I voted no. Everything I have found I bent over to dig, pick - up, scratch out or eyeball. Too many internet experts have ruined many hobbies. FUBAR.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the passion behind some of these replies, regardless...

So keep on telling me how you really feel. lol

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the idea of an Ebay section apart from the garage sale topic. Things change so much with experiences of buyers' and sellers' it's hard to keep up.

Just like what happened to me last week on an Ebay auction.... Seller's picture was of a "Set" t of 4 mortise chisels in a wooden box for $64, but it was showing as listed marked down from about $89. But then after I review the page following the Buy It Now payment, deep down in the listing it said the auction was only for the smallest of the bunch; a 1/4"x1/4" "set with the hollow chisel and the matching inside drill bit....

I learned so much... I didn't know a vendor could list something, mark it up by $15-$30, and have Amazon.com send it in a package marked "Amazon Fulfillment"... I also didn't know that Amazon could send it by UPS and have it delivered to the local Post Office where the mailman delivers it to my mailbox.... Both had tracking numbers... The seller is using Inventory, shipping, and return issues of another company to make a dollar, and never out a dime. She did send a UPS return label in an email attachment, and it appeared to go back to Amazon.com's return facility in Las Vegas, Nevada.... Got positive feedback and my Palpal account credited for the full amount, yesterday. WHEW!!!

An Ebay section would concentrate the good and the bad Ebay events for current trends. The old/new tricks of crooked sellers/buyers actions could easily be picked up on when seen in a closed group of the same topic company or other on line auctions, too. Done right, garage sale finds and Ebay dovetail very well for getting your weekly Adlerian rush and making money on it!!

Besides, I'd love to start selling on Ebay one day.... At a garage sale, I found a machine tool accessory in its original case and with all the clean/new condition instruction pamphlets. It's called a "Harig No.1" and appears to have been never used; it's mint, not even a single scuff mark on the bottom of its mounting base. A new one costs almost $2,000; I have $10 in it... I'm just a bit apprehensive of losing its potential sale due to mistakes and crooked buyers...

Bill

Last edited:

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
I voted No. I think the way it is now works just fine. The dumpster diving sub forum should probably be here also. Every time I remember dumpster diving has it own forum (about once a month) and check it out the last post on there is usually when Regan or Carter were still in office. A separate Ebay forum might get lost also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread