audio library of equinox signals needed?

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
there was one recent post here that ask the question does the Equinox obsolete the dig them all theory of hunting.

Well the short answer to that is no, but it can reduce your amount of digging if you learn to use the Equinox to recognize junk targets.

But that brings up another thought. When first getting my 800 I often wished I could go to a web site and hear the sounds of different junk and good targets. What I eventually did was listen to some youtube videos on Equinox and listen to the audio signal on what they did. But the trouble was few of those guys using the Equinox often did not capture good sounds or were using earphones and hardly any of them recorded the junk audio signals which is important.

So when youtube failed to be effective for my purposes I just pulled out my rather large box of junk targets and started learning to hear junk and good signals on my 800.

But what about newbies to the metal detecting world who just bought an 600 or 800 (gads, they will need a lot of help). They likely don't have a junk collection. Then the second thought was after several weeks of digging they will have a junk collection and they can learn on that if they don't discard the junk targets.

Another problem books and forum members use words to describe audio signals which can be meaningless to a new person to the hobby. words like peaked, skewed, bitty, broken, clipped, weak (well that is pretty well understood), no extensions.

When you are new to the metal detecting hobby those descriptive words are meaningless. It is like telling a 3-4 year old to pick up the green block when no one has taught him the colors.

So I thought it would be a good idea to hook an iPhone up to an Equinox and record different junk target sounds. Eg rusted bottle caps, pull tabs, square pop tops, iron nails etc. But after a little investigation, it seems like too much trouble with technology. Better to just tell then newbie to save your junk and practice on it.

you know I am still not sure about words like peaked, skewed, bitty, broken, clipped and associating them in my brain with what those actual sounds that those descriptive words apply to.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that is a great idea! I'm transfering to the 800 from ATpro and darn, I feel like I've gone from Microsoft to a Mac!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best way to tell good sounds from bad is to spend 100 hours digging everything at an area typical of the sites you will be hunting, regardless of which new machine you got. Every detector has it's quirks and subtle nuances. Some areas you're going to dig every signal anyway, so, that isn't and issue with that type of hunting. Getting hung up on pure signals can result in some passed over good targets. I've hunted areas where there were NO good signals, but, lots of good targets.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve dug it all from day one and I still dig it all.

Hookka

Apr 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT GOLD, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Sandshark, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you guys mean you dig when you get ferrous tones mixed with non-ferrous. After a couple hunts I stick with the true non-ferrous ones and my efficiency is way up. We have quite a bit of trash at alot of beaches here and some coins that are made of iron that I'm not interested in digging when at the beach. Has anyone had any gold targets give ferrous IDs?

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a waste of time.

Dig the targets.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you guys mean you dig when you get ferrous tones mixed with non-ferrous. After a couple hunts I stick with the true non-ferrous ones and my efficiency is way up. We have quite a bit of trash at alot of beaches here and some coins that are made of iron that I'm not interested in digging when at the beach. Has anyone had any gold targets give ferrous IDs?

To me, it would depend on the site and what I'm trying to find. At the beach, yes, I dig any non-ferrous sounds. Same with farm fields in England and old home sites. At a modern urban park or school, no, I cherry pick there. I haven't had a ferrous I.D. turn out to be gold, but, I've had some weak and scratchy sounds (though still reading non-ferrous) that were gold though.

Hookka

Apr 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT GOLD, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Sandshark, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, I figured the equinox IDs are at least accurate enough for that. On the at-pro I had some sometimes that would hit ferrous numbers but so far the equinox seems like it's not going to do that. I've been digging anything that doesn't give me iron at the beach, thought someone was about to tell me that the equinox can misread and sometimes give gold negative numbers haha.

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alright, I figured the equinox IDs are at least accurate enough for that. On the at-pro I had some sometimes that would hit ferrous numbers but so far the equinox seems like it's not going to do that. I've been digging anything that doesn't give me iron at the beach, thought someone was about to tell me that the equinox can misread and sometimes give gold negative numbers haha.

I dig anything at the beach that is above a -4 but so far none have turned to gold lol. Most have been junk earrings.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’ve dug it all from day one and I still dig it all.

I remember the good old day when I had the Fisher first (I think) gold bug back in the late 1980's. Lots of fun up in the hills where the pull tabs and pop tops had yet to invade. Dug everything. Lots of fun and a simple detector to use.
Almost anyone could handle that machine and find good stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread