Equinox noise cancel in the air at waist height or on the ground question

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have read where some hunters noise cancel with the coil on the ground to get a better reading from the ground. Any thoughts on this technique? Anyone using this method for noise canceling.

The theory being that better you ground balance and noise cancel along with lowering the sensitivity the quieter your machine will be. This allows you to hear more of the deeper faint signals even by lowering the sensitivity because you have achieved a quieter machine. Of course this will vary according to ground conditions.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fair question, I've heard both ways, in the air, on the ground. ??

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noise cancel mine about 10 inches off the ground.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much what I've been doing Hawks.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the way I have done it since day one. I’ve never had a problem.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same. I noise cancel mine in the air and not on the ground; but, curious as to what others are doing and what input vferrari may have on this.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an E-TRAC and I noise cancel with the coil on the ground. I figure any above ground radiated EMI will still be present with the coil at ground level.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noise cancel is for EMI and other electronic signals that might interfere with your detector. It shouldn't make much difference if it's on the ground or in the air, but, I do it above the ground figuring that's where the interference would be coming from. I ground balance with the coil on the ground, or pumping as the case may be.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I don't know if it makes any difference, but after testing both methods mentioned already, I decided to put the coil just above the surface to cancel. That's where my coil will ideally swing during hunting. Seems to me that it might molest the integrity of the cancel or GB, if the coil actually touched grass/soil.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Noise Canceling at waist high is the proper method. Noise canceling has NOTHING to do with Ground Balancing. :skullflag:

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hold mine like Jesse Ventura holding a mini-gun in Predator. That is proper way to noise cancel the Equinox.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tie a piece of rope to it and swing it over my head during noise cancel. Let’s everyone know I have arrived and am ready to kick butt.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tie a piece of rope to it and swing it over my head during noise cancel. Let’s everyone know I have arrived and am ready to kick butt.

I tried that, and works really well. I tie the rope around the arm cuff, and after noise cancel is done, I clip the other end of the rope to my belt, this way after I finish digging a target and continue walking on I don't forget my detector.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why is this a question, BTW?

I waited for someone to point this out, but nada.

P.39 of the manual: Noise Cancel Step 1. Hold the coil stationary and away from the ground.

Hmm. Guess I shouldn't be swinging it over my head.

As Terry said, sounds like some folks are mixing up GB and noise cancel.

Great to read the forums and all the theories, but a really great place to start is reading the manual that comes with the machine and you can start the discussion and debate from there. Usually, I trust the manufacturer to not be giving me bum dope.

As far as noise cancel is concerned, it really doesn't make a lot of difference if your site is not that noisy to begin with and noise cancel does nothing on intermittent and transient noise. Ever tried to do a noise cancel twice in a row? Ever notice how you never get the same number twice in a row? Probably because there are a number of clear channels Equinox can choose from in that case. What I am trying to say is don't overthink it. Run a noise cancel and hope for the best. Trying to over tweak it by precise positioning of your coil in the air doesn't make a hill of beans difference. Doing a noise cancel near the ground may cause the noise cancel to be less effective due to a lot of electromagnetic theory mumbo jumbo I will not bore you with so just trust ML when they say noise cancel with your coil away from the ground. That's about as precise as it has to be. If you have an 800 and auto noise cancel still gives you EMI, manually select the quietest channel. Noise cancel is unlikely to cancel out all the noise in bad EMI conditions and unlikely to matter in low EMI conditions so don't expect it to work miracles or make much of a difference most of the time.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cudamark, Terry and Vferrari are correct, noise canceling is to cancel out as much EMI in the air as possible, ground balance is canceling out the noise in the ground. I always cancel with my coil pointed forward about waist level myself.

Last edited:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Noise Canceling at waist high is the proper method. Noise canceling has NOTHING to do with Ground Balancing. :skullflag:

I hardly ever GB. Sorry if I mislead anyone by including GB. When I do GB, I pump the coil nearly to the ground, about the same level I noise cancel. In the end, I really doubt it makes much difference either way.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here. I rarely have to do a ground balance or noise cancel. Just doesn't seem to be an issue where I hunt most of the time. I mainly have to noise cancel if I'm hunting close to another detector, or close to a WiFi source (which never seems to help much anyway).

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

was that mud replying? certainly not vferrari.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread