Augering holes to do sampling?

pp13bnos

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2005
There's a creek I do some dredging on in Southern Oregon. There's good gold, but like everyone I"m allways looking for something better. Anyways..there is a good sized bench on a inside bend, that I wanted to do some sampling on. There is varying levels of topsoil, I know for sure. It has plenty of old growth trees, so I know it hasn't been worked to much. What I was thinking was drilling some test holes to see how deep bedrock is, and even more if there is gold. What I'm looking for is something that I can add lengths to go deeper if I wish. A 3point style auger that hooks onto a tractor is out of the question due to location. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are 1-2 man augers as I sold 100s a Tanaka for sampling. Rental yards also so you can just sample and return with less investment. Just run for a minute at depth for your samples and good to go. Work smarter and not harder as you save hours of labor with every hole-John

bill-costa rica

Sep 19, 2010
playa samara
Detector(s) used
sd2100 infinium ls, 10 inch dredge
the few times that I have used a 2 man gas auger it has never been for sampling placer ground. from what has happened in dirt when you hit a rock makes me think I want nothing to do with one of those creatures in gravel. you hit a rock and bind up you will fly… good luck with that. be careful.

bill/cr

OP
OP
P

pp13bnos

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2005
the few times that I have used a 2 man gas auger it has never been for sampling placer ground. from what has happened in dirt when you hit a rock makes me think I want nothing to do with one of those creatures in gravel. you hit a rock and bind up you will fly… good luck with that. be careful.

bill/cr

So what your saying is, I need to get my skidsteer down there. :D Wonder if the forest service would mind? hehe...

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the way to go for an easily portable auger that can be operated by one person.......

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pp13bnos

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2005
Not a bad idea. Might have to check into one of those things. Thanks for the links!

golden ray

Jan 30, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
& Lobo
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You mentioned many trees in that area. So be aware that if
using a hand held auger, and you snag into a tree root; it
will most likely rip the auger right out of your hands.
Be careful.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there are roots and rocks, you won't be able to use an auger. It's just as simple as that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions