Aussie Floods

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Hi guys, been crazy weather here for months. Last month floods.
Yesterday was nuts! We got over 100 ml in our town, some got in our state 300, couple of weeks ago 40 ml caused floods. Ground everywhere totally saturated. It rained for 26 hrs non stop and bucketed down. Down pipe here fell off and had to go out to reconnect it to stop water going under the house. Water flooded our paddock to our right and the back. Was touch n go calling for sand bags from the emergency services here. Many houses here got flooded and were sand bagged. Our town was and is still cut off. We are ok as the water stopped a few feet away from our fence. Just north a reservoir broke its banks and flooded homes. Went to the shops today and many who work or own them there had to sleep overnight and still cant get home to the town's they live in near here. One local I spoke to said there are dozens of travellers here that are waiting to go.
Floods all across our state. If it wasn't bad enough with homelessness here after covid, this will push it right over the edge.
I know you guys are there too from the Cyclone in the US having bad problems. Its like the entire world is being smashed.
Called my great friend here who was in bad area near us. Phew, he was ok but they took in to their home a few families that had to evacuate.
I tried to contact him, finally did. Water is now dropping but our Weather Bureau says, it aint over. May be more in the coming weeks.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi guys, been crazy weather here for months. Last month floods.
Yesterday was nuts! We got over 100 ml in our town, some got in our state 300, couple of weeks ago 40 ml caused floods. Ground everywhere totally saturated. It rained for 26 hrs non stop and bucketed down. Down pipe here fell off and had to go out to reconnect it to stop water going under the house. Water flooded our paddock to our right and the back. Was touch n go calling for sand bags from the emergency services here. Many houses here got flooded and were sand bagged. Our town was and is still cut off. We are ok as the water stopped a few feet away from our fence. Just north a reservoir broke its banks and flooded homes. Went to the shops today and many who work or own them there had to sleep overnight and still cant get home to the town's they live in near here. One local I spoke to said there are dozens of travellers here that are waiting to go.
Floods all across our state. If it wasn't bad enough with homelessness here after covid, this will push it right over the edge.
I know you guys are there too from the Cyclone in the US having bad problems. Its like the entire world is being smashed.
Called my great friend here who was in bad area near us. Phew, he was ok but they took in to their home a few families that had to evacuate.
I tried to contact him, finally did. Water is now dropping but our Weather Bureau says, it aint over. May be more in the coming weeks.
I hope you get some relief till the ground dries up a tad.
The reservoirs should be returning to filled levels.
I remember you telling us that they were really low.
Spring rains, but too much isn't good either.
Be safe Chilli

OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
I hope you get some relief till the ground dries up a tad.
The reservoirs should be returning to filled levels.
I remember you telling us that they were really low.
Spring rains, but too much isn't good either.
Be safe Chilli
Pepper they have been overflowing for the past 4 plus weeks. They were low for years up until then. The only still low I found out recently, one of my favourite fishing spots where I got those Redfin a few weeks ago, has had a dam wall leak that wont let it fill above about 30 to 40%. Everything else is overflowing.
Now everything else is over capacity and flooding. Bad.
After it all settles down the fishing will be great for sure as that's how our cycle goes here.
This was to be expected these floods as here they come like clockwork every 10 to 12 years. Our last was 2010/2011. I was talking to a friend weeks ago and we agreed, a big flood event was coming. All the signs were there.
Months of falls, ground saturating with nowhere for the water to go other than flood.
Even our most famous Australian Poem tells of it....

"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
"Of droughts and flooding rains."
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror –
The wide brown land for me!"

It's not climate change as many say here with this recent event.
Its Australia.
First published 1908.
My guess, by 2024 they'll start dropping and we'll go low to near drought, then be flooding again around 2032 to 2034.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pepper they have been overflowing for the past 4 plus weeks. They were low for years up until then. The only still low I found out recently, one of my favourite fishing spots where I got those Redfin a few weeks ago, has had a dam wall leak that wont let it fill above about 30 to 40%. Everything else is overflowing.
Now everything else is over capacity and flooding. Bad.
After it all settles down the fishing will be great for sure as that's how our cycle goes here.
This was to be expected these floods as here they come like clockwork every 10 to 12 years. Our last was 2010/2011. I was talking to a friend weeks ago and we agreed, a big flood event was coming. All the signs were there.
Months of falls, ground saturating with nowhere for the water to go other than flood.
Even our most famous Australian Poem tells of it....

"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
"Of droughts and flooding rains."
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror –
The wide brown land for me!"

It's not climate change as many say here with this recent event.
Its Australia.
First published 1908.
My guess, by 2024 they'll start dropping and we'll go low to near drought, then be flooding again around 2032 to 2034.
Query:
Was there any gold exposed with all the flooding back in 2010/11?
The fish will love the fresh intake of water.
More food, grow larger, room to swim around.

OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Query:
Was there any gold exposed with all the flooding back in 2010/11?
The fish will love the fresh intake of water.
More food, grow larger, room to swim around.
Absolutely our native fish love floods. Our Yellowbellly and Cod rely on them, especially the Yellowbellly. They can survive for years in drought conditions. What they do is during that time build up fat. You know how you see the sections, layers, like tree rings, of fish meat in the fillets. Yellowbellly build up and are ultimate survivors. You see a layer of meat/flesh and then an equal layer of fat and so on all down the fillet. In good years the meat is say 80%, fat 20%. In drought it gets to 50/50. Its their survival method. They are great eating anytime. Drought times, cook them in the oven on high and the fat reduces. But even though, its still nice. Other times cook them on lower heat. You can see the layers. Sounds odd I know, but either way they taste awesome. Just cook them different depending on the fat layers. Beautiful eating. But have to be skinned for the best eat. The best times are after the floods within the time the water just drops up to 8 weeks after. They use the flood waters to spawn in and wait for it. Lots of other fish like it to feed in the flood areas but Yellowbellly wait for it to spawn and move in big numbers then.
Gold here where I am in some places gets exposed by leaf matter and stuff from trees getting washed off of hillsides and some gully type areas. But where I am the ground is so hard that its from the overlying leaf matter and stuff being washed away that exposes ground rather than the actual ground washing away exposing ground beneath it. But you can be sure when it settles down I'll be looking for those spots washed clean. 👍

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread