AutoTune Mode

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally think of myself as a pro with the F-70. Well, at least I now have confidence. I am deep into my third set of batteries and I am pretty good at knowing what I am about to dig just from the sound and readout. I finally decided to try hunting in AT mode and found I kind of like it. The first day I went to an area without much trash and got used to the constant threshold at a +9 setting. The next day I went to a trashy area and found that while it drove me nuts it was actually easier to hear what was underground. In "AT" mode the ID only works when you are directly over an target. You get sound at the edges but no ID until directly over the target. When the ID number appeared it was pretty much locked on and the number didn't vary or jump around like it tends to in disc mode. Does anyone use "AT" regularly? Are there any secrets to using it that make it more effective than "disc" mode? What situations would make "AT" mode your primary use? Thanks!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a F-70 but use the Autotune mode a lot on the CZ20. It is like a full all metal, but seems to have a larger field at the coil. I can search in AT and switch to disc to get the proper ID tone and disc.

Streak!

Mar 4, 2009
limegoldconvertible68 said:
I finally think of myself as a pro with the F-70. Well, at least I now have confidence. I am deep into my third set of batteries and I am pretty good at knowing what I am about to dig just from the sound and readout. I finally decided to try hunting in AT mode and found I kind of like it. The first day I went to an area without much trash and got used to the constant threshold at a +9 setting. The next day I went to a trashy area and found that while it drove me nuts it was actually easier to hear what was underground. In "AT" mode the ID only works when you are directly over an target. You get sound at the edges but no ID until directly over the target. When the ID number appeared it was pretty much locked on and the number didn't vary or jump around like it tends to in disc mode. Does anyone use "AT" regularly? Are there any secrets to using it that make it more effective than "disc" mode? What situations would make "AT" mode your primary use? Thanks!

I use Autotune pretty much exclusively in HOT soil, both on the F70 and F75. Autotune seems to be a bit more impervious to Rf interference too, and will sometimes let you hunt a site you simply CANT hunt in Disc.
Honestly.....in decent soil, I havent seen where Autotune has any edge over Disc mode. While you somtimes can HEAR a target better in AT mode REAL deep..............at extreme depth it wont ID, so isnt much use to me.

Like I said, AT mode is VERY useful in real hot ground, but in real heavy Fe infested ground, its just too "busy" for me........AND you have to keep the eyes glued on the TID. Streak!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread