Noticed The F2 is a fantastic coin machine but doesnt lock on nickels well

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after a few days of pretty hard use on the f2 at the parcks have noticed the F2 locks down on Quarters and dimes real well.It also locks down on pennys pretty well.But theres one problem havnt found manny nickels with it and it doesnt lock down well on them. I suspect its because f the 5.9klhz frequency it uses. The only problem with that is most pull taps rings and nickels all hit in the same range. Wich means less gold finds any ideas?

lms7652

May 19, 2006
Once you get a signal that you think may be a nickel try to pinpoint it and get the location of the target and then sweep the coil left and right directly over the target. The closer you can swing the coil center right over the target the better the ID will lock on. That seems to be my experience anyway. My daughter uses one and she has not had problems digging a lot of nickels without digging a bunch of trash.

I have an omega and the nickels always hit 56-57. I have never found a nickel where the ID bounces from 56 to 58 or 59. So on that detector I try to sweep the center of the coil directly over the target too. If it locks on at 56 or 57 many times its a nickel. I'll bet you can do the same thing with the F2.

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My F2 is really good at finding nickels. First thing I do is pin point the center and then watch the numbers, if they stay between 27 and 32 it's 90% chance it's a nickel. The deeper the nickel the lower it reads on the scale. Anytime it reads 34 and above it's been a pulltab for me. 1"-2" round pieces of foil 2"-3" inches down will read like a nickel. The deepest I've found a nickel was appox 6" in the spring when the ground was moist. Hope this helps.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
with all detectors the deeper a coin is the less accurite the reading is --it a matter of depth -- my delta 4000 --reads 56-58 for nickles -- the same as 10 kt gold -- the conductivity --is the same for both--while most aluminum tabs run about 60 -- 14 kt gold runs about 67

MZKITY62

Sep 26, 2009
GENEVA COUNTY, ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I just got an F2 for Christmas and found lots of clad today and mine locked on the nickles the same as all the rest. Maybe yours just need adjusting. I had no problems at all. All I can say is love it!!!

OP
OP
Trackerman

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sapose its ajustments from the factory. Because my first f2 wich had a blown speaker i sent to the factory for repair seemed a little hoter on quarters and they sent me a different machine. This ones a little better on pulltabs and and a tad bit better on nickels but still doesnt lock on nickels like my Ace250 does..

Sim_Player

Jan 12, 2010
Camano Island, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Tesoro Cutlass2
I'm still learning mine (50+ hrs now) and I get the same impression when notching everything out but nickles, dimes, and quarters.

The one nickle I did find was in a heavily trashed field with tall grass that I was searching using NO disc. (I was searching for a gold band.)

In theory, if the TID changes depending on depth, then nickle-range items will only sound off at a very specific depth when notched IN.

If you don't use the notch function I'll bet ya find alot more nickles and items in that range at various depths.

-Sim

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Discriminate less and the nickels will read better. They're much less conductive than silver or copper clad coins.

My F75 nails nickels very, very well. I run with a disc of 4 on a 0 to 100 scale (still in the iron range) and instead use the VDI and silod signals to choose what to dig. In one well hunted park the other detectorists discriminate high and notch nickels in . . . but apparantly not well. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread