Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Autumn Hunt , 1700's British Brown Bess buttplate

9-22-10 Last day of summer but within a few hours , First Autumn hunt temp. 90 degrees :P Sure didn't feel like Fall weather > Saturday I forgot my camera on the passenger seat . It baked in the heat and the cheesy ,plastic mechanism that extends the zoom lense is cooked . :( without my trusty digital. I went back to some older turf that had produced colonial buttons and some nice old iron in the past . The button finds started with the first decent hit . Nice pewter buttons ! Hit a spot with a lot of square nails and some shotgun shell tops . Under all these signals I kept hearing this erratic sound , hit something , a brick :icon_scratch: Ran the coil over the brick hole and almost blew my eardrums out . Figures ::) , would have been a good pic & no camera . Looked into the hole ..a brass butt plate ! Ya Hoo ..grabbed it out of it's hiding place ... definitely a piece of a 1700's British Brown Bess :hello2: { A picture of a replica is posted for comparison . For those who are not familiar with this weapon , a brass butt plate is on the bottom of the wooden stock } see pic# 2 ... Some more iron parts that may belong to a gun . I found what looks to be a military cap emblem, with a piece missing , fancy brass plate with letters HM ? , one .69 cal musket ball , and a few more relics . The top of the plate has an small 1/2 " end broken off , it wasn't a fresh break . Most male citizens of the American Colonies were required by law to own arms and ammunition for militia duty. The Bess was a common firearm in use by both sides in the American Revolutionary War. Please forgive my scanner pics , these are the best I can do until I get another camera . Engraved top has the vine border ,in the center is a round or oval shield with two crossed trumpets surrounded by flowers and leaf patterns . {fourth pic} Inside has B 14 stamp that is barely visible . Not cleaned . Any help on the ID of Crossed Trumpets under an Oval Shield would be appreciated . Pic # 9 is an 1853 Enfield parts from last year . Lucky , CW > colonial ! Quite a day, I hope everyone has their BEST cool weather digs !! Thanks for looking . CMD

Attachments

• 100_1744.jpg
    100_1744.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 912
  • 100_2556.jpg
    100_2556.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 865
  • 800px-Brown_Bess_Carbine.jpg
    800px-Brown_Bess_Carbine.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 846
  • Brown Bess butt plate 001.jpg
    Brown Bess butt plate 001.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 807
  • Brown Bess butt plate 003.jpg
    Brown Bess butt plate 003.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 833
  • Brown Bess butt plate findsfrom same place.jpg
    Brown Bess butt plate findsfrom same place.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 951
  • Brown Bess butt plate finds from same site.jpg
    Brown Bess butt plate finds from same site.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 944
  • 100_1744.jpg
    100_1744.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 816
Upvote 0

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: First Fall Hunt is the Bess Hunt

It is nice to see Fall here and the Dawg out diggity dawging it up. :laughing7: Cape May county will be producing some killer coins this Fall. I feel it in my bones. It is supposed to be nice this Sunday, so the KKC team will be back at the Colonial grind. I had to purchase a new Vibra Probe pinpointer this week ($129 deficit :laughing7:).

Kirk :hello:

U

umrgolf

good start to the fall season dawg :o

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kirk PA said:
It is nice to see Fall here and the Dawg out diggity dawging it up. :laughing7: Cape May county will be producing some killer coins this Fall. I feel it in my bones. It is supposed to be nice this Sunday, so the KKC team will be back at the Colonial grind. I had to purchase a new Vibra Probe pinpointer this week ($129 deficit :laughing7:).

Kirk :hello:
129 more reasons to "Dig with a passion" !! :laughing7: This may be the best Fall for a lot of T Net diggers , Much Success Sunday ..time to turn it up a notch ;D Thanks ,Kirk
umrgolf2010 said:
good start to the fall season dawg :o
J , 18 th Century ,British , field musket butt plate , is awesome ! I know there are some oldies here . Thanks for inspiration and getting me to go out there. Mike

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice score on the Bess butt Plate and a great early fall hunt ! You will be back there looking for more of that musket ! MaineRelic

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Autumn Hunt , 1700's British Brown Bess buttplate

Nice and very historical recovery there DAWG. That site needs a long look. Doesn't feel like Fall in Tennessee either. WTG and HH, Quindy.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Keep those South Jersey finds a comin! Love the Brown Bess butt plate. I found the ramrod channel to one a while back. Maybe between us both we can find enough parts to rebuild it!

P4020006.JPG

P4020004-1.JPG

lidigger

Sep 4, 2010
Savannah, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, White's BeachHunter 300, White's Prizm IV, White's Bullseye II Pointer (x2)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like a great day to me - camera aside.

FortBedfordbob

Dec 25, 2007
Bedford Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, GPX 5000

Bummer about the Camera, that s.....s ! However the Finds help make up for it a bit. Love the engraving :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MaineRelic said:
Nice score on the Bess butt Plate and a great early fall hunt ! You will be back there looking for more of that musket ! MaineRelic
Tore a small area up , but got nothin' ,looks like a future hot spot . Have fun and Thanks MR
VOL1266-X said:
Nice and very historical recovery there DAWG. That site needs a long look. Doesn't feel like Fall in Tennessee either. WTG and HH, Quindy.
Still summer as far as we are concerned .90's today :P Yes , a long look, these places once were homes of ship builders , also privateers who raided British shipping .These boy's did a well enough job , that an encampment was built nearby to stop them . I would like to tell you more info , but I would be drawing a map . Research ,then search . Stay cool in Tenn. Quindy
Neil in West Jersey said:
Keep those South Jersey finds a comin! Love the Brown Bess butt plate. I found the ramrod channel to one a while back. Maybe between us both we can find enough parts to rebuild it!

P4020004-1.JPG
:D That is nice .. these parts must be scattered all over Jersey ..We both need to build camera's at this point in time ::) :thumbsup:
lidigger said:
Sounds like a great day to me - camera aside.
That is the best part , getting out there and enjoying the hobby ! Thanks lidigger Have Fun dude
Bedfordbob said:
Bummer about the Camera, that s.....s ! However the Finds help make up for it a bit. Love the engraving :icon_thumright:
I need that damn camera and it's not that old >:( Trying to get another one . Anyway when I get something that was part of some history ,I feel much better . Engraving is a thing of beauty but holding the piece over a scanner with the lid open just ain't making it happen ... most here could care less about historic gun parts :laughing7: Thanks Bedford Bob and get some more great stuff out there in God's Country
Brian(upstateNY-Central Fla.) said:
:icon_thumright: nice digs
Thanks Brian Have a good one , bud :thumbsup:

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

love the old gun parts, I notice you have a trigger guard is that from the brown bess as well ?

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009

Sure you didn't find it in a hole in the stream....??? Where's the rest of it? :laughing7:
Just kidding, what a great find! Maybe you'll be able tofind other parts to it, assuming the whole rifle was lost.
Good Luck.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Love those Old Brass butt plates. Haven't seen one posted in awhile so congrats to you bud on a very nice relic find and Nice hunt! :icon_thumleft: :wink: :headbang:

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

4-H said:
Oh my!

Beautiful finds. Great pictures and story!

Mike
Thanks 4-H Mike , glad you found that pistol , Jeff dug one , I want one now
wwwtimmcp said:
love the old gun parts, I notice you have a trigger guard is that from the brown bess as well ?
Alright , there are gun guy's out there ! :hello: The trigger guard is from a 1853 Enfield ,found the guard ,a trigger ,and the butt plate, last year . Thanks for your interest and have a nice time out there this fall .
DMN said:
Sure you didn't find it in a hole in the stream....??? Where's the rest of it? :laughing7:
Just kidding, what a great find! Maybe you'll be able to find other parts to it, assuming the whole rifle was lost.
Good Luck.
It disappeared :dontknow: unfortunately , the Brown Bess here is just a part :'( but a part that you can see , today . :D Thanks
{Sentinel} said:
Love those Old Brass butt plates. Haven't seen one posted in awhile so congrats to you bud on a very nice relic find and Nice hunt! :icon_thumleft: :wink: :headbang:
Thanks , Josh 1700's Bess is not something that ever turns up anywhere ! Except Valley Forge . :D I am willing to say you will not see another Bess plate for many years , seriously , a lucky hard find ! :icon_pirat: best Autumn dude dawg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread