Avoiding Cans with the AT Pro

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Lately I have been hitting some parks with the AT Pro, and I have dug far too may cans than I would like to :). Cans can register all kinds of signals, bug common ones I see are in the 80's-90's. Some of them come across as very clear signals, solid hits. I run Iron Discrimination at about 35-40, but there is no wobble, nothing that would lead me to believe anything bad about the sound.

The footprint of the signals is generally large (as can be expected), and of course if I pinpoint, and raise the coil, the signal stays on for quite some time. This is how I typically assume I have a can:

1. pinpointing and raising the coil keeps a signal for a pretty good height, usually >6-8"
2. the foot print of the "hit" is pretty large

Is there anything else I could be doing to identify cans? Do most of you clearly identify cans and pass them over, or do you end up digging most cans because you never can be sure? Digging cans in a park is a real PITA. Typically the plug I dig is too narrow, since the can is squashed flat many times, and so you have to widen it out, just a real pain. I usually dig everything, but I am deciding more and more, with parks I am familiar with, I need to come up with a system to eliminating my can slaw digs.

I would be interested in hearing how you all identify and deal with cans.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also watch the depth gauge when you lift the coil. Loudness is usually not a deep coin level (not faint like a deep coin). Too good to be true. You might get a hint of Iron Audio low tone from the rims on the older cans.

Dimendave

Nov 27, 2012
Central Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garret ATP Whites TDI SL.
Fisher CZ-21. Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, most of the cans I dig do leave a large foot print and register high but they are usually all over the place between 60's and 80's. If I'm digging a park, I have learned to move on. if I'm at some kinda beach and theres a better chance it could be jewlery then I'm probably gonna dig it just for a piece of mind and to get rid of it for future hunts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread