Awesome mid-1800s merchants token recovered yesterday with a cool story behind it

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome mid-1800s merchant's token recovered yesterday with a cool story behind it

Sorry, but before I get into the token story you have to hear the long version of yesterday's hunt as I always do for documentation purposes. My good buddy Dan and I met around mid-morning yesterday for our first hunt of 2015. We had to brave the cold and partially frozen ground, and needed to get ourselves on a new spot to dig. We first went by to visit and chat with one of the local farmers who has been letting us hunt his properties, but he was not available. That was a disappointment as we had our hearts set on trying to get onto one of his large and very early sites. From there we went to knock on another door of a man who owned what we felt could be a killer site. Dan had befriended the guy during the summer, so we felt our chances were good. But he told us that it was not a good time as his wife had just had a relapse regarding her previous bout with cancer. That was the 2nd strange incident of that sort as just a few days ago I had researched a great new spot and had determined who the owner was. But the next day before I headed out to knock on the door, I saw in the obituaries where he had just died. Very strange. Anyway, our day was certainly not going as planned, and we decided to make a brief stop at a wooded site to see if we could stumble across an early house site which we knew was a possibility there, but not much was found. We then made our way back to the site we hunted last spring where we recovered several Va buttons, a shako plume holder, and other CW era finds. We especially wanted to check out the wooded slope leading down to the creek, but it turned out to be a big goose egg. Things were looking bleak at that point, but from there we decided to knock at another door about a property we've had our eye on for some time since its in an area of early land patents, and backs up to a nice creek. We ended up meeting a very friendly family, and after securing permission and chatting for a bit we headed to the site. It was a large field that had a nice, high spot in the back, but when we arrived there we immediately noticed a large area between the field and the creek had been recently logged. As we walked up the sandy logging road we started seeing an ever-increasing amount of brick leading to a nice looking knoll. Soon some of the things we were finding, although relatively few, confirmed the existence of a very early site, probably pre-1650. Dan found most of the goodies there which he'll cover in his post. But between us we eyeballed several pipe stems with huge bores - either 7 or 8/64ths in diameter which equates to 1620-1680. We just gave it a brief look, and definitely will be back for a closer inspection later. But we wanted to walk the front field before dark to see what other interesting things might turn up. And the very first knoll we approached turned out to be loaded with brick and iron, but unfortunately the finds appeared to be 19th century. But there were a lot of high toned targets and we had fun digging there until dark. My very first target was a copper, but it turned out to not be a coin but a very interesting token. It was a cool looking advertising piece from hatter James Wolff of Petersburg, and likely dates to the 1850s. I ran across a very nice discussion of Wolff and his tokens, and it presents a very cool history of him and his business, and his Confederate military history. You can check it out at the following link:

Hatter James E. Wolff of Petersburg Va | NovaNumismatics.com

As the temps dropped down to the mid-20s and darkness approached, I was finally able to pry Dan from the field and we called it a day. But at least we have an interesting site to return to on our next outing. Had fun buddy!

Attachments

• 011015d.jpg
    011015d.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 011015e.jpg
    011015e.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 160
  • 011015f.jpg
    011015f.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 011015g.jpg
    011015g.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 011015h.jpg
    011015h.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 143
  • 011015i.jpg
    011015i.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 011015j.jpg
    011015j.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 145
Upvote 17

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Regarding the comment about you and 19th c. sites, Bill, I have to say that's probably how my team and I view post-CW sites here. They are everywhere, and there are some good finds to be had, but my heart just isn't in stuff that's newer. Sometimes nice for a change, but really just to tide us over until another colonial era site with spanish silver and one piece buttons comes along. Looks like a great hunt, and surprised that you were able to hunt up there. We thought it was cold down here in the low 40s with wind, so I know it's been brutal in VA.

Congrats,

Buck

I think we're both spoiled rotten Buck. Once you've dug hammered silver coins from the 1500s the CW era stuff just doesn't seem too exciting. But when things are really slow, like it's been lately, it can be a welcome change of pace. I'm sure Dan and I will go back to that 19th century spot, but with an early-to-mid 1600s site just a couple hundred yards away it'll be tough to pry ourselves away until we've extricated the very last signal from that area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread