Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Colonial Spanish silver sword buckle Tongue. Unique?

This came from an early site where I have found early and mid 1800's buttons. It appears it was gilt in silver but the years all but took it away. Can anybody tell me more about this?

I found this a few weeks ago but forgot about it, found it today in a drawer, thus it is "today's find"

Attachments

• image-1029133763.jpg
    image-1029133763.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 188
  • image-2155520602.jpg
    image-2155520602.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 203
  • image-3774187807.jpg
    image-3774187807.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Upvote 6

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen one like it before, but jugding from the pictures, I am leaning towards this being solid silver, not plate. The pics may be deceptive but silver is generally plated over brass, copper, or some other less valuable metal. I don't see that evidenced here. Looks like silver with natural silver oxidation over most of it.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Solid silver?! The thought has crossed my mind but I dismissed it. I better go check it down in my man cave ASAP! Lol. Thanks for the insight

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Solid silver?! The thought has crossed my mind but I dismissed it. I better go check it down in my man cave ASAP! Lol. Thanks for the insight

This what silver-plated items look like after being buried (if they even look THIS good), most of the time the plating is completely gone .

horn_switch_silver_plating.jpg

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
This what silver-plated items look like after being buried (if they even look THIS good), most of the time the plating is completely gone .

Yeah, I agree. I have a few silver plated items that have the same wear pattern. Upon closer inspection I think it IS silver.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hope it is solid silver, looks like it and it is a really cool one at that, congrats on the great find

65chevy

Aug 3, 2013
Cool find. I hope it is solid silver. Let us know if it is.

Happy new year
GOD Bless

Jeremy

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Solid silver baby! Nice surprise;) I wonder how old?

Attachments

• image-3167182882.jpg
    image-3167182882.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 134
OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this. I would argue it's the same manufacturer and is identical in design besides the anchor. Also this was what is know...

" While none are known to have been recovered from shipwreck sites, this small and delicately fashioned Spanish naval buckle form is believed to have been used on a belt from which was suspended a dirk or dagger for formal, ceremonial, and off-duty use by Spanish naval and marine officers. Only the tongue components of this tongue-and-wreath interlocking buckle typology have thus far been reported. At least some of these cuprous buckles were originally plated with a faux silver white metal alloy. Examples have been recovered at Spanish occupation sites at Gálveztown, Louisiana and Pensacola, Florida. The anchor device embellishing the tongue is very similar to that which adorns both the anchor badge from the wrecksite of El Cazador (shown above) and the anchors included in the design of the 1802 pattern Spanish naval military buttons shown in the marked button section of this website. The dates of manufacture and use of this and other examples of the type are tentatively assigned to the ca. 1790-1810 period."

Attachments

• image-1759376415.jpg
    image-1759376415.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 447

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hmmm.
That is good for ME to know too. I found a belt bucle with the silver flaking off... like that.
I figured it was just a peice of silver painted thing.

That picture looks like a half of a cinch belt clasp.
My thoughts, but could very well be wrong.
Very cool!:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have never seen your tongue you found. I have seen the Spanish anchor plate before. Your tongue being solid silver makes it real special. I would date your tongue to early to mid-19th century. Being solid silver makes me think it was a special piece; like maybe a prize for something. the America's Cup race started in 1851 but yacht racing has been around a long time before that. I can't help but think it maybe was a prize for an early race. I once found a rare tongue under a tree and I spent about 3 months excavating around the tree in hopes it was under the tree. I never found the wreath. But I would work that area to death in the hopes of finding the wreath. you may be a able to get a jeweler to make a rough version of a silver wreath for display purposes. you found something really unique and special. I wish you good luck in finding the wreath. Finding a tongue to a plate no one seems to have seen before is not very often. and it is solid silver to boot. I believe this is a banner find given the rarity an uniqueness. I will go ahead and vote but other t-neter's may not understand what this is. congratulations!

Wow, banner? Hey thanks! I spoke to John Powell and he said the tongue is similar, but unique, as the rest were anchors like you said. He said with absolute certainty that it was a Spanish officers sword or belt tongue from 1808-1814, possibly extending to 1821. He's puzzled how it arrived in New Jersey

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow this thing is awesome and intriguing bro! How did you clean it? Maybe a bit of lemon juice would just bring a bit of the silver out but keep the nice dark toning. I'm dying to know more about it but am thinking this could definitely be a BANNER!

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool man,I was give you the site you already found as it's the only one I remember seeing with that type of buckle off the top my head.Very nice find!
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow this thing is awesome and intriguing bro! How did you clean it? Maybe a bit of lemon juice would just bring a bit of the silver out but keep the nice dark toning. I'm dying to know more about it but am thinking this could definitely be a BANNER!

A banner from Abe?! Nice. Hey Abe you know I found this with my T2 right?

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey man this is looking like something that could be very special! If that is indeed solid silver it was for somebody important

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread