Awesome nickel score

exnatomp

Jan 1, 2009
Did my weekly pick up at my two favorite banks and got $215.50 in dimes, nickels, pennies, & halves. I immediately got two 40% halves. The dimes were a bust, but the pennies got me 29 wheats, five dimes, and two Canadian King George cents. But the big score was the nickels. One of the rolls had "1939-1960" written on it and that got my attention, so I checked the others and another had "1893 1897 1899 1900-" on it. I opened that one first and saw a V nickel staring at me. I dumped it out and it was completely filled with them. I was stunned. It took me a minute to realize one was different, a shield nickel dated 1876. I did a quick count and there were 47 in all with dates ranging from 1912 all the way back to 1893. The "1939" roll had three war nickels and the rest of the rolls produced a '42D and a '38D. Needless to say, it was my best nickel find ever, but only my third oldest coin found in circulation. Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    848.2 KB · Views: 158
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    878.1 KB · Views: 274
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    672.4 KB · Views: 168
Upvote 0
Wow, that's just incredible. Seems like the amazing nickel scores just keep coming. Right place, right time, JACKPOT! :)

That is beyond an Awesome nickel score, Congrats!
Very nice!

Might be the best nickel find I have seen posted here. Funny how the teller who accepted that roll marked "47" didn't realize it was over $2.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

The roll was the same length as a normal roll. I didn't notice it until I got home.

My favorite coin is the shield nickel because of the letters stamped into it :-)
Congratulations!
Wicka

So not only did u get a solid roll of V nickels and a shield nickel, but it was a 47 coin roll also? That's just amazing, all that for just $2 lol.

I think maybe I should try a little harder finding the cwr nickels. Just never know what u might find with this hobby.

HH!

Sweeeeet score! I once got a solid roll of buffs but the V nicks would be mind blowing to get a whole roll. And a shield nick in the mix as well. Crh is so much fun cause you never know what you might find.

Wowwowow! And the SHIELD! That's the first shield find I've seen posted here. Major congratulations!

Amazing! Can you enlarge the shield nickel pic?

Close ups of the shield nickel

Here are some close ups of the shield nickel that I found in that roll of V nickels.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    707.7 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    677.3 KB · Views: 114
Incredible find....all of it. Those are some great nickels. Congrats. I think that is the first shield nickel found, at least since I've been on here. And all those V's. Would love to find just one. I would be running back to that bank and buying everything! Great find.

The shield nickel looks to be counterstamped. That is an incredible find, congrats!!

Last edited:
Great find! I've gotta find more banks that handle cwr. Most of mine run them through the counter.

You lucky dog! Wowwwwwwww!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back