How were your MD results today, 12/15/06

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Electro-magnetic whatzits from the sun, right? Fouling MD signals? ::)

I'll take the White's out at lunch and let you know.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Solar flares! Was that what you were referring to, musstag?
I took the XLT for a joyride around a neighborhood soccer field at lunch and came up with about $1.70 in clad and a little sterling toe ring, but in all the machine acted like it always does. And I've been seeing lots of people posting finds from today as well, so everything seems pretty normal.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Golden and the ususal usual stuff.

Plenty of midrange targets: Nickels, foil, tabs.
Common high rangers: cents, dimes, quarters and roof flashing.

Oh, and one 10K gold charm that came in at foil-nickel.

Why do you ask?

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
dahut said:
Tesoro Golden and the ususal usual stuff.

Plenty of midrange targets: Nickels, foil, tabs.
Common high rangers: cents, dimes, quarters and roof flashing.

Oh, and one 10K gold charm that came in at foil-nickel.

Why do you ask?
I'm sure he'll be back at some point, but he read that solar flares or something similar were going to be very high today and predicted it would disrupt our detectors, either for better or worse.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Solar flares phooey.

Disruptive to radio waves, yes. Detectors? HIGHLY unlikely.

OP
OP
M

musstag

Aug 10, 2006
Yep Solar Flares. Just wondering... Some days it seems as if I find things a litle deeper about 4 pm, or at least the tone was louder.. so I was wondering about these Solar flares. I got Good depth signals yesterday from my test garden, can't say it was better.

Hey, but one of you found a gold charm and another a (small?) silver toe ring? You don't always get those... of course they have to be there to find them. I know, proves nothing... but interesting nevertheless.

Heres the site for Solar Storm alerts. There was a G3 or G4 (high I think) solar strom alerts yesterday. http://sec.noaa.gov/advisories/bulletins.html

OP
OP
M

musstag

Aug 10, 2006
Interesting, but confusing... If you can find things better at 4pm, (low sun angle) then it seems that a day with solar flares would be the opposite of that.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
musstag said:
Interesting, but confusing... If you can find things better at 4pm, (low sun angle) then it seems that a day with solar flares would be the opposite of that.

unless of course it is just a coincedence and the sun has nothing whatsoever to do with depth. not trying to rain on your parade, just a logical deduction. ;) maybe it has more to do with moisture content in the soil?

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, but one of you found a gold charm
Sorry to tell you, but I knew what I was looking for and where to find it - there was nothing random about it at all. And nothing out of the ordinary performance-wise occurred with my detector, either.

Metal detectors work in a relatively low part of the frequency spectrum, when compared to the emissions from solar flares and other atmospheric, electromagnetic phenomenon. Solar flares, in and of themselves, have a goodly amount of EM power upon reaching Earth, enough to ionize the upper reaches of the atmosphere. Yet at the surface, their RF effect is downright miniscule, on the order of micro-, even nano-, watts... thanks to that very same atmosphere.

There has to be far more transient power in any contaminating signal than that, in order to affect a detector. That's why things like power line emissions and AC motors at start up are cross coupled into a detector's antenna (coil) - lots of power, just 'abursting onto the local scene with RF energy. Fortunately, RF energy degrades quickly the further you get from the source and you must be close to that emission source for this coupling to occur.

DISCLAIMER The remainder of this post may offend you if you are emotionally sensitive. The author accepts no liability for your current emotional state and you read on at your own risk.

The solar flare that could pack enough whollop to seriously degrade a detector's performance would make little difference to you, anyway. You'd be too busy with other things to be out detecting. Things like dodging gamma radiation and trying not to get microwaved with all the other life on earth, come immediately to mind.

Phases of the moon, the number of times a cricket chirps at night or weather predictions from the Farmers Almanac are equally ineffective when it comes to upsetting detectors. No offense, but perhaps you should quit watching the "Psychic Friends" network; and stay away from the Drudge Report, Rolling Stone magazine and The National Enquirer, while youre at it.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Warm here today for this time of the year. Went out for a couple of hours and got 15 coins no jewelry. I was hunting for awhile with a B.H. tracker IV then it started acting up! Changed batteries, no help? Switched to an older Garrett that I have and that worked with no trouble. It was a nice secluded small town park with a swimming hole but no luck on the sand. Had a bad MRE heater so no warm lunch. I ate enough cold rations so I skipped eating.

Attachments

• Joe(USA)Banner[1].jpg
    Joe(USA)Banner[1].jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 150
  • Joe(USA)Banner[1].jpg
    Joe(USA)Banner[1].jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 157
OP
OP
M

musstag

Aug 10, 2006
.... dahut, I FIND it difficult to Follow Your Directions, as you might WELL expect, of taking 'no offense', WHEN your last paragraph was totaly uncalled for. I have heard of the other 3 but whats a Druge Report?

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
Found the ring I posted at 3pm. Been out all afternoon, worked fine.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dahut, I FIND it difficult to Follow Your Directions, as you might WELL expect, of taking 'no offense', WHEN your last paragraph was totaly uncalled for. I have heard of the other 3 but whats a Druge Report?

Okay, okay, settle down. I was only joshing a bit. This is supposed to be fun...here have a beer.

The Drudge report is an internet "news" blog of sorts, with all sorts of psuedo reporting, UFO stuff, Government secret tests and so on - ad nauseum. It is run, edited and apporved by one guy, Matt Drudge and so essentially reflects his views on life in general, conspiracies, alarmist hoo-haw and whatever else he deems noteworthy.
A sort of cyber space National Enquirer.

OP
OP
M

musstag

Aug 10, 2006
OK, I'm Kool now. Some may think i'm nuts, just didn't know how you knew it. :) Example: I found this wes site. www.teach12.com Check the article The DNA of reality: It goes something like this.

The essence of string theory is that the smallest, most fundamental objects in the universe are not little balls knocking around like billiards, as had been thought for about 2,000 years. Instead, these small objects are super-microscopic filaments—like tiny strands of spaghetti—whose different vibrational modes produce the multitude of particles that are observed in the laboratory.

So when a string vibrates in one way, it might appear to be an electron. If it vibrates in a different manner, it would look like a quark. It could vibrate in a third way and display the properties of a photon. Or perhaps it vibrates in a fourth mode and physicists say, "That's a graviton!" This gives strings an inherent ability to unify phenomena that had always been assumed to be different. If string theory ultimately proves correct, then strings are truly the DNA of reality.

I CAN HEAR Ya'll NOW!!! But Look, I'm just posting info... didn't come up with it!

desecrator

Jul 7, 2006
Jamestown, NY
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I had my best day for wheats all year... 10

Four from the teens at 9+ inches

plus a 1940 Jefferson and a worn 1924 Merc

There seemed to be no effect on my XLT

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to blame solar flares for my inability to detect coins in my garden,

but I'll chalk it up to the fact I have only owned my Ace 250 for 3 days now ::).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread