Awsome vintage earings that im unsure of

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought these earings but I wanted to get some ones opinion on this

despite the box and the serial number I cant find any thing on, I took some jewelry I was collecting to the jewelers to see if anything I had was real.

Despite him wanting to give me $5 for a pearl necklace just to cut off the $5 18k clasp. He barely even looked at the earings.
I dont even know if its the original box or not. I cant find a makers mark on them for that matter either.
On the back side there is a hole where the jem is. To let it breath or for light?

earings.png DSCN1914.JPG

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
If I am reading the box correctly, the stones are white spinel. While the stones are somewhat rare, they are not very valuable.
The earrings themselves are "gold filled" which is an antique term for gold plating. Usually this means there is only a gold value of a few cents.

However, looking at your photos, I can't really see any gold on the earrings at all. Maybe it is just the lighting. Or maybe those earrings don't belong with that box.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello kitt,

Are the earrings, themselves marked Amco? There are both natural Spinel stones, and man made.

Amcosig.jpg amcosig2.jpg

"1/20K GF, AMCO. Courtesy Evelyn Phillips.

Mark: Amco in cursive.
Mark: AMCO, 1/20 10K G.G.
Mark: amcojewels (the "j" has a small star above it)
Mark: Amco
Mark: Amcojewels
Dates: 1919 to late 1970s.
Founded: A. Micallef & Company
Location: Providence, RI, USA" Researching Costume Jewelry History Jewelry marks "A"

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold filled is not the same as gold plated. I've got well in to the hundreds of dollars scraping Gold Filled items. Gold plate is a term for electrically plated base metal and that will have very little gold content as its measured in the microns. Read the difference at this link.Scrap Gold Filled Your earrings will still not have a great value in gold scrap, but you get enough GF and it will add up.

Last edited:

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
From the webpage you provided:
We should probably get familiar first with the known Gold Filled standards and how it's made:
Basically and without going through the entire production process, Gold Filled is a thin sheet of karat gold (10K, 12K and 14K) which is fused to a thicker sheet made out of base metals of different alloys such as Brass/Bronze. Sterling Silver is also used, though less common.
The process usually involves rolling the two sheets together to a desired thickness (hence the synonym: Rolled gold).

The same result as gold plating without using an electroplating method.

OP
OP
K

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are no markings on them at all, I was thinking maybe there white gold? It came from an antique store that closed down. Not sure whats with the hand written serial. I also purchaced a bugs bunny clock that one was listed on ebay for $325. I only paid a couple bucks for both items, I was looking to flip them for profit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread