Ax Head #2 - Another Apple Cider Vinegar Success

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I previously posted about restoring rusty ax heads using only apple cider vinegar. See: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,452329.0.html
On this one, I tried electrolysis first, but finished w/the apple cider vinegar. Either process would have worked. This one also required some heavy wire brushing and work with a Dremel to remove all the rust. I then treated this one with some 3 in 1 penetrating oil. The first one is, I believe quite a bit older than the one below and its hanging for display. But as soon as I put an edge on the one shown here, she's going back into service on my wood pile. :icon_salut: Both ax heads were recently dug on a farmstead dating to the mid 1700's. I have one more I found there that I'll eventually get to.

Attachments

• axhead_rockawayb4 (640x479).jpg
    axhead_rockawayb4 (640x479).jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 797
  • axhead_rockaway (640x480).jpg
    axhead_rockaway (640x480).jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 817
Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Paint an Ole' Rebel flag on it and give it a spin Stonewall :thumbsup: Nice Job!!!

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What an interesting finish. It looks like lava rock!!

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice axe! Thanks for the restoration idea, I found 3 axe heads in the past 30 days and they need some soaking. :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
civilman1 said:
Paint an Ole' Rebel flag on it and give it a spin Stonewall :thumbsup: Nice Job!!!

Hey, now there's an idea! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Papa Bear said:
What an interesting finish. It looks like lava rock!!

Yes, very pitted. The soil here in the Valley, along with the fertilizer most farmers use really does a number on iron.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SkyPirate said:
Nice axe! Thanks for the restoration idea, I found 3 axe heads in the past 30 days and they need some soaking. :icon_pirat:

I rinse and knock off what I can, then let 'em soak for about 24 hours and steel brush them. Let 'em soak another 48 hours or so and repeat the process. Sometimes you may have to change out the vinegar. When you've got most of it off, use a wire brush and Dremel to finish the fine work. I also put 'em in the oven at about 200 degrees for an hour to remove any remaining moisture. Then treat/seal them w/something to prevent the rust from returning.

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! Now that is a labor of love... Great job on rescuing and preserving history....

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Papa Bear said:
Wow! Now that is a labor of love... Great job on rescuing and preserving history....

Thank you. I get a lot of satisfaction out of "rescuing" these old artifacts/tools. I'm really beginning to fall in love with the ax heads. There's a lot of variety and history associated with them. Just think about how much American pioneers accomplished with these simple tools. Its quite amazing when you think about it.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
And don't forget - a good ax will cost you north of $50. So there's some monetary value as well. With the handle and the vinegar, I've got about 10 bucks in each one I've restored - plus my time of course.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
By jove Richard, i believe you are getting good at this iron restoration. I need to send you the iron cleaning jag I dug today-LOL. HH, Quindy.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
By jove Richard, i believe you are getting good at this iron restoration. I need to send you the iron cleaning jag I dug today-LOL. HH, Quindy.

Hey Quindy - yeah, I think I'm coming along. I enjoy seeing them brought back to life. My children all think I'm nuts, but they're glad it keeps me out of jail. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Stonewall said:
Papa Bear said:

Thank you. I get a lot of satisfaction out of "rescuing" these old artifacts/tools. I'm really beginning to fall in love with the ax heads. There's a lot of variety and history associated with them. Just think about how much American pioneers accomplished with these simple tools. Its quite amazing when you think about it.

I just started a post in "My Collections" for posting axe heads. I do hope you'll add yours to the post. It should be great once it gets rolling.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,453152.0.html

Cheers,

Buckles

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've inspired me to try and clean up my double bits. That's for the tips, yours have turned out great. Would be awesome to restore the axe into working order.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Old Stonewall said:
Papa Bear said:

I just started a post in "My Collections" for posting axe heads. I do hope you'll add yours to the post. It should be great once it gets rolling.

Cheers,

Buckles

Sure. Give me a day or so. I've actually done a video of this process. I hope to finish that up by Wednesday and I'll add the pics and the video to that forum.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
highnam said:
You've inspired me to try and clean up my double bits. That's for the tips, yours have turned out great. Would be awesome to restore the axe into working order.

Yep - I'll put an edge on it tomorrow and demonstrate what it can do on video! Let us know how yours turn out.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Stonewall said:
BuckleBoy said:
Old Stonewall said:
Papa Bear said:

Cheers,

Buckles

Sure. Give me a day or so. I've actually done a video of this process. I hope to finish that up by Wednesday and I'll add the pics and the video to that forum.

Fantastic! Your results are impressive, and I would love to see the video. :thumbsup:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That came out great! :thumbsup:
I'll have to try that method. Thanks for the post & info.
Congrats,
MM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread