Ax Head #2 - Another Apple Cider Vinegar Success

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I previously posted about restoring rusty ax heads using only apple cider vinegar. See: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,452329.0.html
On this one, I tried electrolysis first, but finished w/the apple cider vinegar. Either process would have worked. This one also required some heavy wire brushing and work with a Dremel to remove all the rust. I then treated this one with some 3 in 1 penetrating oil. The first one is, I believe quite a bit older than the one below and its hanging for display. But as soon as I put an edge on the one shown here, she's going back into service on my wood pile. :icon_salut: Both ax heads were recently dug on a farmstead dating to the mid 1700's. I have one more I found there that I'll eventually get to.

Attachments

• axhead_rockawayb4 (640x479).jpg
    axhead_rockawayb4 (640x479).jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 797
  • axhead_rockaway (640x480).jpg
    axhead_rockaway (640x480).jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 817
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Stonewall, Have you received that book with axe head markings? If so I would appreciate a look for the "7" marking. Also, what was the stuff you used to seal the cleaned iron?

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
highnam said:
Hey Stonewall, Have you received that book with axe head markings? If so I would appreciate a look for the "7" marking. Also, what was the stuff you used to seal the cleaned iron?

Hey Highman. I used a product called "Rust Converter" by a company known as "Total Solutions" to convert and seal the rust on the inside part of the ax. I could only find it online. Refresh my memory about the 7 marking. I did get the book on the axes.

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just posted a double bit that I restored using your methods. The axe has a number 7 stamped in the middle right of the axe. Does your book cover markings similar to the one I have? Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread