AZ hunters

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
I know I've seen atleast a few other crh'ers located around the phoenix area. Anybody interested in swapping some info, or possibly coordinating dumps, so we don't just search each others skunks? I figure were all going to be hunting here anyway, we might as well try not to dump on each other, and try to team up and metaphorically rob the banks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
Although I am not an Arizona native, I am embarrassed to admit that I don't know where Sierra Vista is.

RP4L

Jun 3, 2011
Lol. FWIW, it's about 80 miles SE of Tucson. Been in the news a lot recently because of the big wildfire down here. I live a little unincorporated close by SV, about 5 miles from the border. I came here about 20 years ago because of the military.

OP
OP
A

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
I obviously know about the fires, but do not follow many news stories not relatedto my extensive list of hobbies. You are indeed pretty far from phoenix. I've only been here for about 5 years and besides the astoundingly hot summers, its pretty nice. How's the hunting that far south? You fins any Mexican coins in circ?

RP4L

Jun 3, 2011
How's the hunting that far south?

It's hit and miss. I don't think there's much hunting going on here. The only place I've found that's willing to order half dollars can't do more than one box every two weeks because of weight limits. Works fine for me anyway because of time constraints. Also, the tellers are always very surprised when I bring any large amount of coins. They always want to play 20 questions :laughing7:

I suspect that there was a CRH'er that must've pissed off some banks, because they all seemed pretty irritated when I asked about ordering halves, lol.

You find any Mexican coins in circ?

Not recently. I used to CRH years and years ago and did find a few. One story in particular stands out. I was at a bank and asked them if they had any old dollar coins. The teller pulled out a really, really dirty/crusty coin that couldn't be recognized at all. I guess she figured was a $1 Peace or Morgan probably. I could tell it wasn't because of the size but bought it for $1 anyway. I went home and cleaned it up and it was actually a 1979 Mexican Onza.

It was only worth about $5 at the time, IIRC, but it was a cool find. I have no idea what it was doing there and why it was so crusty. They're not intended for circulation -- they have no denomination.

OP
OP
A

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
That's an awesome find. I have to say though, im surprised that so close to the border you don't find more mexican coin. Im still baffled at ho so much currency from canada seems to end up here. You do any kind of treasure hunting besides crh? I would love to find a partner to hunt with a few times a year.

RP4L

Jun 3, 2011
azlegends said:
You do any kind of treasure hunting besides crh?

I used to do a lot of metal detecting at the old barracks on the Fort as well as the city park. I had to quit because the MPs or cops would always harass me (especially the MPs... they got really intense after 9/11). Sold my MD after that. I was thinking of trying again, but from what I could see they tore down most of the old buildings and replaced them. The few remaining old buildings were converted to offices. Pretty disappointing... I found some neat stuff there, especially at a compound from the late 1800s.

I've done some geocaching but I'm not that qualifies as treasure hunting ^^

OP
OP
A

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
Ive actually been interested in trying geocaching. Perhaps sometime you can stash something in your are for me. I would gladly return the favor. If you do decide to buy an md there are tons of ghost towns, construction areas, old mine trails, gem trails, and tons of other stuff pretty much all over az.

RP4L

Jun 3, 2011
azlegends said:
Ive actually been interested in trying geocaching. Perhaps sometime you can stash something in your are for me. I would gladly return the favor. If you do decide to buy an md there are tons of ghost towns, construction areas, old mine trails, gem trails, and tons of other stuff pretty much all over az.

I'll have to go take a look some time. From my understanding, most of the caches near/around the mountains were displaced from the fire and recent flooding. There wasn't a whole lot in the city. I've never tried putting a new one out, so I'll see about that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread