AZ members check in

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all you AZ members of Treasure Net.

Here is a thread designed for one thing... Checking in and getting out with fellow AZ members. I see that there are a few AZ members who have gotten together and had some fun prospecting. I am kinda jealous. I, and hopefully other members from AZ also, would like to get to know our peers in person. See who like to shovel, and who like to watch shoveling happen... J/K.

I see some members are passing through the area I live in and I would love to get involved.

I will start it off. I live in Glendale, and don't have a truck. ( I have a company truck, but that is a big no-no) I have a drywasher, and a MD. I have my daughter every other weekend, and have the FEVER. I have a membership with Roadrunners. We have claims at Rich Hill, near Vulture Mine, and near Old Woman Gulch outside of Morristown. Anybody wants to set up a day of digging, let me know. I will be waiting at the end of the drive with too much equipment....

Upvote 0

wtetro

Jan 6, 2013
Aridzona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Dan. I might have to take you up on that offer after I finish getting settled.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to Tnet and to Az.
My wife's and my youngest son was born in SLC in the Mormon hospital.
No,we are not Mormon. That was or is the only one there.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I will be going on my first prospecting trip on Saturday to the backside of the Catalina's Mountains north of Tucson with my surgically replaced shoulder and repaired left knee of 7 weeks ago. Wish me luck as I will need it. It will be a short trip then it's back to NM on Monday.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good luck.
I used to live on Roger road in North Tucson but never got to go into the cats.
Was out on the East side a few times by Tanque Verde.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The temperatures are up and today I saw 109F. Its early and the worst days are ahead in July and August for the heat. We meaning the entire state may see record setting highs this summer. Got me an Ez-Up canopy to shade myself. Taking a host of tools and I am going to give the big Royal Drywasher a run. Its been so dry the soil should be dry enough for the drywasher, other wise will be classify and hauling the paydirt back home.

StreamlineGold

Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be going on my first prospecting trip on Saturday to the backside of the Catalina's Mountains north of Tucson with my surgically replaced shoulder and repaired left knee of 7 weeks ago. Wish me luck as I will need it. It will be a short trip then it's back to NM on Monday.

Good luck and good gold!

wtetro

Jan 6, 2013
Aridzona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good luck. I can relate a little with my L3, L4 and L5 being fused (thanks Uncle Sam) Don't overexert yourself, have fun, and may nuggets be in your future.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had to build me a new Vip-Vac using my old Echo PB-255. Got to use what I am currently building for other prospectors so I took a few minutes this morning and got a new bucket ready for an early start tomorrow morning of drywashing.

B150.jpg B151.jpg

Last edited:

wtetro

Jan 6, 2013
Aridzona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like how the Vip-Vac can be used in combination with the drywasher...I might have to consider looking into this set up.

elgatodelnoche

Aug 21, 2013
East Mesa, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Deepseeker ADS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like how the Vip-Vac can be used in combination with the drywasher...I might have to consider looking into this set up.
That is the perfect setup. I love the vac/blower drywasher combination! I have built both my drywasher and my blowervac.

SLNugget

Sep 25, 2013
Morristown, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well AZ guys I bailed out of Morristown due to the heat and am spending the summer in WA. I did get to stop at the Yuba River for a short days sluicing thanks to my friend Scott. Beautiful country up there. I drove mostly back roads on the way to WA and saw some amazing scenery. Good to get off the Interstates.

OP
OP
K

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That last pic is my new screen saver. Awesome shot. Makes you thirsty and dry. Just want to jump in!

wtetro

Jan 6, 2013
Aridzona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have never seen a dry washer in action, though I do know that the riffles are backward from the water sluice. Are they difficult to build? Ive built highbankers and dredges before, and most of my other equipment, but they were all designed for use in water, something I understand. How are they with catching fines?

elgatodelnoche

Aug 21, 2013
East Mesa, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Deepseeker ADS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wooden dry washers are easy to build. Blower types are the easiest. Pull cord bellows are the next easiest and hand cranked and battery operated bellows are somewhat harder because the mechanisms are more complicated and parts are more numerous. All can be built in a day if you have everything in front of you and are familiar with your design. Sadly dry washers are notorious for losing the fines. You can mitigate this somewhat by classification and running each size of classification separately. Dry washers work best when they are processing material that is all pretty much the same size. You can also run the tailings several times to pick up fines that were dumped out the front previously. When you are shoveling directly into your hopper's expanded metal grizzly and not bucket classifying, then you should check the coarse tailings that come off the back with a metal detector to make sure you do not lose nuggets that are too big to pass through the expanded metal.

I have a complete wood shop and will help anyone build the wooden dry washer of their choice.

Attachments

• blue4.jpg
    blue4.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

wtetro

Jan 6, 2013
Aridzona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So what is better, wood or metal? I can weld and braze. Perhaps a combination of a wooden frame with metal tray? I like using wood for the fact that it has a finished look you can not get with metal, but what about weight? I've noticed that fray washers seem to generally be smaller in size when compared to a highbanker or dredge. I guess with the wood, you have no worries about water rotting out the wood or swelling it.

elgatodelnoche

Aug 21, 2013
East Mesa, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Deepseeker ADS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What is better is your personal preference. My wooden drywasher has lasted fifteen years so far and is not too heavy to backpack. Plus it also depends on what material you are comfortable working with and what your budget will accommodate. I have a wood workshop and therefor I make wooden drywashers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread