Aztec Gold Site, What Equipment Should I Use?

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Furness, my Britilander friend, any time will be a pleasure. :coffee2::coffee2: But be forwarned, I am an Oirisher in 'Yanks' clothing. While I hold Oirish citizenship through my Grandmother, S.Okane, I am a classical Heinz mixture, third generation Yank Oirisher.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. I prefer to think that they were hyper selective on the various traits that were to be included in me:notworthy:

Furness

Aug 23, 2008
Lancs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
p.s. I prefer to think that they were hyper selective on the various traits that were to be included in me
notworthy.gif

yep i bet attila the hun thought that about himself as well JeJeJe

ps my outlaws all come from Kerry,

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Here in rural Mexico, people build until they run out of money. And, once the walls are up, the poorer folk stop. That is, they do not bother with revoco (stucco?) nor paint.

Just this month, we had the revoco put on our brick house, and 3/4 painted. It would be all done, but our painter got a contract to paint all 8 classrooms in the kinder school, in two weeks. Inside and outside, including the roof.

So, the eastern wall will have to wait a few weeks.

Most people simply do not have money for things they view unimportant, such as paint for the outside walls of a block house. As you say, one grows used to it.

Furness

Aug 23, 2008
Lancs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Piegrande yes I understood why many are like that, and as you say it fades into the background after a few days, while I was out there I saw many that looked to be abandoned with grass and bushes growing inside even small tree's in some instances,i have also spent quite some time on Google Earth in street view as many are abandoned with just the floor slab and walls built, some with the roof but just an empty shell with no doors or windows, with an old for sale sign pinned to the walls, I had been told that once building starts the builder has to start paying local taxes and that if he can't pay the local council take the property and try and sell for the tax's owed to them, although how true that is I have no idea, please excuse the fact that this is a single sentence for some reason I can't split it into separate sentences,

Last edited:

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I tend to take what people tell me at its face value (unless they are after my money.) But, where I live, somewhere in Mexico, a cousin has told me that here if you do not pay taxes, they never confiscate your property. Sooner or later, there will be a transfer of ownership, if only at death, and to make that transfer it will be necessary to pay the back taxes. I cannot verify this as true or false.

However, let me put this in perspective. Our taxes have been less than $20 a year for 1.2 acres with a new 2,850 square foot house on it.

That is temporary. Coming up will be a minor title correction, involving a new property evaluation, and taxes might soar to as high as $150 USD a year if I have my way. I think the $20 tax came from a minor bribe by a cousin last evaluation.

If I bribe it will be to increase the evaluation. A nasty cousin wants the city to confiscate the private road in front of the house, which would mean they could have drunken brawls there and we can do nothing. At present we let all traffic pass, free, by permission, which means we can run off any nuisances. He wants public right of way to help him sell lots east of us. I offered at one time to give him a free, permanent servidumbre legal de paso and he didn't take us up on it. I finally realized he wants it confiscated by the town.

The problem is, if they confiscate it they only have to pay the appraised value per square meter. If the appraised value is low, they will not hesitate to confiscate it, won't even have to pay enough for us to fence it off. I went them to blanche when they see what they would have to pay for several hundred square meters, and I can pay several hundred dollars a year in taxes. So, if I pay a bribe, it will be to max out the value. That ought to really confuse the appraisers. Heh, heh.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
So piegrande,
How about just having a lot and a motor home that you can move from lot to lot and not worry about stucco. What kind of
problemas might that cause? Just curious.
Rich

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Might work. Be sure to have your motor home treated for termites. In rural Mexico where I live, they have termite thingies which do not need earth contact with the wood. They just swarm up and start munching. They also have creatures called polillos. They even eat holes in chairs placed on tile floors.

Every piece of wooden furniture we buy, I buy Polyurethane varnish and cover every square inch, all surfaces. Not just one coat. I go for bullet proof.

Other than that, (which is why houses are mostly made of concrete) there should be no problem.

Oh, mustn't forget. Motor homes are not usually burglar proof as houses of concrete with protection on all the windows are.

I guess those are actually good reasons not to have motor homes, after all, right? Heh, heh.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
But, let me clarify. I am thinking of places like where I live, definitely Third World parts of Mexico. A motor home would be very unusual.

There are plenty of places, such as the American Colonies and major tourist places, where there are camps to rent motor home parking.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Good insight Piegrande. I didn't know about those nasty termites. Also concrete is fire safe. I was just thinking about all the
used motor homes at a good price, just move them where you want them and move in.
Rich

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Sure, I think that would work, with my precaution in mind about the bugs. Sometimes on rural highways there will be an inspection station, usually agricultural in nature. Two speed bumps and signs. They use small mobile homes, I have no idea how the bugs work.

Concrete cannot burn without an a-bomb to ignite it. But, inside a concrete home, you can still die from suffocation if the contents of your room catch on fire.

Or, a gas leak fills the room/house with gas, and it fires up. It will burn the skin all off your body.

Both of these things do happen, albeit rarely.

Also, once in a great while in the US, in winter, a Mexican family forced to sleep in their vehicle, will bring in a charcoal grill with burning charcoal in it, to warm it up, and they all die from CO.

urbantreasure

Jun 7, 2013
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about renting a ground penetrating radar type piece of equipment? Sometimes they are not too expensive or you could find a friend or someone you trust to go in with you on the cost. This is assuming you can haul it in to your site. Just a thought.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I have thought about GPR. At this time, the idea there is a big treasure here is awfully "iffy". I do someday want to get a two-box, but that is not so expensive and can be used as one-box so isn't all waste. Remember, if I did find twenty million dollars worth of gold, it probably would not pay me a cent. Either land owner, or government would get it all. I wouldn't mind that if it becomes museum property, but impossibility to gain a cent does make the economics a big negative.

A note on the termite topic. They have different bugs here, called polillos (poh-lee-yos). They nibble at any wood, like forever. Which is why I protect wood with polyurethane varnish.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions