Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats cheap compared to what my bank told me... 17.75 per box! can you believe that crap??

I lost 18 boxes per week to that crap... only 1 branch continues to order for me without hassle.

I went to one of these branches yesterday to dump 60 ikes... I counted them out in stacks of 10 for her, she just scooped them up and (tried to) run them through their machine to count them, after a few minutes she came out looking upset and set them down saying the machine wouldnt count them, so they cant accept them...

I said "WHAT???" and being dumbfounded for a minute, a bank im a member at, wont exchange legal currency with me??? "I want to speak to a manager." She went over to the managers office, and after a minute I heard them coming out saying " I dont want them in my drawer" and the manager said "I dont want them either but...."

Manager motioned me over, I re-stacked them into piles of 10 ikes, and she gave me 60 cash and that was that...

I should go back once I get more! lol that was fun... a big F U for cutting me off.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!! Go back and dump hard on that bank, bring in a bunch of small dollars too, tellers hate those almost as much as they hate ikes..
I recently started dumping coins at a bank that wants to charge me a similar fee ($14 per box), I brought in 2 boxes of halves for them and plan to dump on them once a month until I get cut off... I know not to abuse the system, but hey, if they won't order for me, they will get my dumps. Plus the transaction for swapping 2 boxes of halves at the bank took 3 minutes whereas it would have taken 10+ minutes running them through a coin counter.

Thats cheap compared to what my bank told me... 17.75 per box! can you believe that crap??

I lost 18 boxes per week to that crap... only 1 branch continues to order for me without hassle.

I went to one of these branches yesterday to dump 60 ikes... I counted them out in stacks of 10 for her, she just scooped them up and (tried to) run them through their machine to count them, after a few minutes she came out looking upset and set them down saying the machine wouldnt count them, so they cant accept them...

I said "WHAT???" and being dumbfounded for a minute, a bank im a member at, wont exchange legal currency with me??? "I want to speak to a manager." She went over to the managers office, and after a minute I heard them coming out saying " I dont want them in my drawer" and the manager said "I dont want them either but...."

Manager motioned me over, I re-stacked them into piles of 10 ikes, and she gave me 60 cash and that was that...

I should go back once I get more! lol that was fun... a big F U for cutting me off.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Haha. I love annoying people with coins. I took the chesapeake bay bridge tunnel yesterday ($14 toll) and paid with 2 susan B. Anthonys, a sacagawea, 3 Ikes, and the balance in halves. The toll taker looked like she wanted to kill me. haha.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never see Ike's anymore. If I had a bunch I would sell them instead of trying to do them. The profit on them isn't huge, but when I've sold them the buyers came to me. So, saved the hassle of dumping and made a few bucks.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holy crap 14 bucks for a toll??? talk about fleecing

Thats pretty funny!

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never see Ike's anymore. If I had a bunch I would sell them instead of trying to do them. The profit on them isn't huge, but when I've sold them the buyers came to me. So, saved the hassle of dumping and made a few bucks.

Ive tried, but not really worth the hassle to me... I mean my LCS buys em for 1.05, but... meh not worth it when hes 30 minute drive each way :)

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
That's really crappy...

I live in upstate ny. I have found that first niagara is a pretty good bank... Not sure if there are any in your part of the state, but I've always had good luck with them

iontyre

Mar 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it's pretty steep but in all fairness it is over 20 miles of bridges and tunnels that span the entire Chesapeake bay.

There is nothing fair about it. Our governor is a thief. My EasyPass toll for the Ft McHenry Tunnel went up 250% in the last couple of years. Don't try to tell me the inflation rate is under control!

Back to halves... I ordered my first box today. No surcharge from my friends at PNC Bank.

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
told by B of A mgr. that my next box of halfs will have a $5 order fee. I have personal account that I use to buy $1K a week in q,d,n, and p. I do not dump there. looking for help in finding another bank in lower Hudson Valley N.Y. that doesn't charge to order. $7K in halfs searched= 5- 40%'s.

:hello: Check with the other banks in your area. I use 4 different banks down here (1 bank 2 different branches) & they don't charge me a fee. The only thing is you might have to open a small account in order to get boxes. You should also tell them, you won't be returning the coins to them. If you want to know the names of the banks I use, send me a pm.

HH
Gary

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a CU/bank in the small town where I live. I have been doing a little CRHing these last few weeks and decided to just see what I would be told if I told them what I was doing. I went in last Friday and approached a lady that has been working there since I started banking there in 2007. I told her my name and she said, "Yes,I know who you are." I have not talked to her before. As I said it's a small bank/CU. I told her that I was doing some CRHing and asked her if she knew what it was. Yes, she knew and asked me how much I be would asking for. I told her that I just starting and that probably $40 or $50 a month would be just a guess. She said if I would call a day or two ahead and let them know how much of what denominations I wanted, they would have them ready. I told her that at present, I would just take what ever they had when I came in. She said also that if I needed wrappers to rewrap the coins, that they would be happy to furnish them for me. GREAT!! I'm under no false feeling that I may get boxes and boxes of coins without them getting tired of me doing so. I know that most of you use other banks for dump stations. Is this just because you might get back the same coins that you dumped? There are three (?) other banks in town; but I have never been in one of them. Should I open accounts with them if I get into CRHing seriously? So far, I have went through 12 rolls of pennies and found about 4 wheats and about 30 coppers. I also got 2 rolls of quarters, 7 rolls of nickels, and 2 rolls of dimes. I found one coin (don't remember the denomination) that I am pretty sure has one of the numbers in the date with 3 little 'steps' on one side like it was triple stamped. I couldn't see too well with the equipment that I had at the time, so I put with some other coins to looked at later. When I get back to it, I'll try to post some pictures (if it's what I think it is).

Last edited:

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a CU/bank in the small town where I live. I have been doing a little CRHing these last few weeks and decided to just see what I would be told if I told them what I was doing. I went in last Friday and approached a lady that has been working there since I started banking there in 2007. I told her my name and she said, "Yes,I know who you are." I have not talked to her before. As I said it's a small bank/CU. I told her that I was doing some CRHing and asked her if she knew what it was. Yes, she knew and asked me how much I be would asking for. I told her that I just starting and that probably $40 or $50 a month would be just a guess. She said if I would call a day or two ahead and let them know how much of what denominations I wanted, they would have them ready. I told her that at present, I would just take what ever they had when I came in. She said also that if I needed wrappers to rewrap the coins, that they would be happy to furnish them for me. GREAT!! I'm under no false feeling that I may get boxes and boxes of coins without them getting tired of me doing so. I know that most of you use other banks for dump stations. Is this just because you might get back the same coins that you dumped? There are three (?) other banks in town; but I have never been in one of them. Should I open accounts with them if I get into CRHing seriously? So far, I have went through 12 rolls of pennies and found about 4 wheats and about 30 coppers. I also got 2 rolls of quarters, 7 rolls of nickels, and 2 rolls of dimes. I found one coin (don't remember the denomination) that I am pretty sure has one of the numbers in the date with 3 little 'steps' on one side like it was triple stamped. I couldn't see too well with the equipment that I had at the time, so I put with some other coins to looked at later. When I get back to it, I'll try to post some pictures (if it's what I think it is).

It's partly so that we get the coins out of our system, but also because it annoys banks when you pick up and dump at the same place. Some of my best pick up banks have said that they don't mind if I dump all the coin right back into their counter and I still won't do it. For starters, it just seems like an overabuse of the system to me. Secondly, even if one teller at a given bank says it is no problem, that doesn't mean that every teller and/or manager at that branch will feel the same way when they see you picking up the coin and then dumping it right back into the bank. The tellers (most of them) focus on customer service so they will usually try to go over the top with making you happy. The manager of the branch is concerned with the bottom line so he/she may have a completely different view.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is nothing fair about it. Our governor is a thief. My EasyPass toll for the Ft McHenry Tunnel went up 250% in the last couple of years. Don't try to tell me the inflation rate is under control!

Back to halves... I ordered my first box today. No surcharge from my friends at PNC Bank.

Yeah, I'm sure I would feel much differently if I had to take those bridges more than the 3-4 times a year I head down to murder tuna in the OBX. Good luck with your first box and post up your results.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, fish on. Yes, I think you are right. I may try to pickup and dump at this place for a while anyway. I believe there are only about 7 employees including management. Everyone of them seem to really bend over backward to please in any way they can. (I would ask a couple of them for a date if I were a little younger, even if one of them is a married woman! They just seem that nice). I've talked with the manager/president several times about different aspects of my banking there, and also his right-hand lady. I'm not sure what her title is, but she seems to have a lot of authority as does the lady that I talked last Friday. Also my daughter, her husband, and her son all have accounts there; as did my mother-in-law before she passed away last August.
I think I am going to start using at least one of the other banks for some of my dumping though. One of my closest friends banks there. It just seems more right to do it that way instead just continually picking up and dumping at the same place.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's partly so that we get the coins out of our system, but also because it annoys banks when you pick up and dump at the same place. Some of my best pick up banks have said that they don't mind if I dump all the coin right back into their counter and I still won't do it. For starters, it just seems like an overabuse of the system to me. Secondly, even if one teller at a given bank says it is no problem, that doesn't mean that every teller and/or manager at that branch will feel the same way when they see you picking up the coin and then dumping it right back into the bank. The tellers (most of them) focus on customer service so they will usually try to go over the top with making you happy. The manager of the branch is concerned with the bottom line so he/she may have a completely different view.
Very well said fish on, you and I have the same points of view in this hobby. Never dump where you pick up or pick up where you dump.

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it's pretty steep but in all fairness it is over 20 miles of bridges and tunnels that span the entire Chesapeake bay.

:censored: That is only a 1 way toll, if you do a round trip than the toll would be $28. They must have talked with NY politicians who think that motorists are sheep who exist to be fleeced. They don't need that much money to maintain the bridge & tunnel system. The cost of building it has been paid off by now so they use it as a cash cow to pay for other things. Up here the port authority bridges are $12 (going up to $15 soon) along with the Verazanno Narrow Bridge ($15) but these are only charged going 1 way. They don't charge a toll going the other way. The other toll bridges in NYC are $7.50 each way. The excess money from these tolls are used to help pay for mass transit which if you are driving a car, you don't use. H**l in downstate NY, we pay a 1/4% tax on our utilitiy bills for mass transit. Look in other parts of the country & the tolls are much more realalistic to pay for the maintaince of the facilities being used.

HH
Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread