Back Country GPS for smart phones.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, I cannot help you but I very much wish to check out that app. Tnx. TTC

OP
OP
T

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are welcome, let me know if you find a way to make it show BLM areas, or anything else cool. I have not bought the full version yet, because I am not familiar with GPS programs, so not sure I can use it, and it seems to be pretty good at eating my phone battery too.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Twisted One said:
You are welcome, let me know if you find a way to make it show BLM areas, or anything else cool. I have not bought the full version yet, because I am not familiar with GPS programs, so not sure I can use it, and it seems to be pretty good at eating my phone battery too.
Yes. The main reason I don't use my phone for those "extras" is if I become addicted to those games... I may not have enough batteries for that 911 call I may have to make! TTC

OP
OP
T

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am running the Droid X2 and the reviews said the battery life was aweful, myself I have only had it die once in the almost year I have had it, and it was because I left an app running in the back ground and forgot about it. Looking into the extended battery for it, but they are spendy.

Loydvz

May 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Twisted One,
I have Back Country and used out on several GPAA Claims. It kept me in the boundaries of the claim and shows the topo. You can download the maps so you don't need to be in a service area. You can have it running to show your movement if you are on a hike or metal detecting. You can mark locations. It is great. The Software works like the paid version for 20+ days and at that time you can re down load if you want it longer. Need Topo, you can have it.
Good luck

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have it on my Samsung Charge, and wonder if the GPS will function properly once out of cell phone range. Any input from actual experience?

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have it on my Samsung Charge, and wonder if the GPS will function properly once out of cell phone range. Any input from actual experience?

Yeah it will.

It works off of GPS satellites, not cell towers. If you're out of tower range, turn that off, or it will eat batteries looking for them.

I got BCN Pro, and I like it.

But it does eat batteries. For serious work, I'd use a stand alone GPS unit if I were to have it on for any length of time. I talked the cell phone company out of another battery.

I do like the download topo maps and photos though.

For the Twisted One; yes you can. You just have to get GPS coordinates on them first though.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread