Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks. I was not able to detect for a few weeks due to the flu, and my Tesoro in the shop for a tuneup. I was having withdrawals, so I cashed in $200 worth of my coins, and bought another Tesoro Silver Umax as a backup. ;D
During my down time, I came up with a flyer about myself, what my hobby is, and my contact info. I then hand selected about five old properties that I wanted to get permission to hunt, and attached them to the mailboxes, and included a self-addressed stamped envelope. *If anyone would like to see the flyer, just PM me.
Within 4 days I had an interested party. It is the plantation house you see pictured. I brought over my relic cases to show them what I have found just in this last year. They were very impressed.
This house was built in 1820, and sitting on 30+ acres. It has all the makings of a great hunting spot. Huge trees, old outbuildings, old CW road on the property, slave shack, horse pasture, woods, etc. I was told General Joseph E. Johnston and his troops camped on this spot in April, 1865 on their way from Raleigh to Durham.
I was just praying that no one had hit it before, and I went there today at lunch for my maiden voyage. It looks like I'm in luck! What you see, I found very quickly within an hour. The 35' buffalo nickel was a real treat. I'll be headed back there this w/end for my first long hunt.
My finds today were:
*1935 Buffalo Nickel
*1927, 54, & 55 Wheats.
*24mm Flat button - no back mark
*Asst'd bullets -
One says "F" "A" "30" on the bottom. Any idea what it is & how old?
One some lead bullet with two rings- Age? Type?

*One arrow tip, and another one that I don't know if it is an arrow tip or a bullet? It has a solid, not hollow bottom and a missing piece at the very tip. Bullet or arrow?

*A headless cast metal horse.

*An old marble. Duffy, are you out there? Any idea on this one?

*Two "WHATS IT's" - Any ideas?
One says "The Dill Mfg Co. Cleve. O. Pat. July 13,1915".
The other piece has a wire through it and says " Press 1-6A-P Groove P"

A great start to a neat new MDing spot. Come on silver!!! ;D
Thanks for looking,
MM
Doug

Attachments

• 1820 Plantation.JPG
    1820 Plantation.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,320
  • House -other side.JPG
    House -other side.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,339
  • Cemetery area.JPG
    Cemetery area.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,324
  • Horse area.JPG
    Horse area.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,325
  • Huge saw blade.JPG
    Huge saw blade.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 1,338
  • Old CW road.JPG
    Old CW road.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,329
  • Old kitchen.JPG
    Old kitchen.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,327
  • Smoke house.JPG
    Smoke house.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,310
  • Valentines finds.JPG
    Valentines finds.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,302
  • 1935 Buffalo.JPG
    1935 Buffalo.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,297
  • 1927 Wheat.JPG
    1927 Wheat.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,291
  • Finds1.JPG
    Finds1.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,301
Upvote 0

top pop top

Aug 30, 2007
ca
Detector(s) used
whites xlt
The Bullet With F A On It Stands For Frankford Arsenal But The Year I Couldnt Tell You.

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Yo Doug,
Wow Man am I impressed. You stepped out on faith, and got rewarded.
Keep the posts comming.
Tenn. Joe

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
top pop top said:
The Bullet With F A On It Stands For Frankford Arsenal But The Year I Couldnt Tell You.

F A 30 = Frankford Arsenal 1930

This headstamp system is still in use. I just stripped a 5.56 round out of my M4 magazine to check. It says "LC 05" which means it was manufactured at the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant in Independence, MO in 2005.

I'm curious though as to what the round you have IS. It looks like a pistol bullet stuck into thhe remains of a fired .30-06 case

-SgtSki

ukeden

Jun 16, 2006
cumbria
Detector(s) used
ace 250,whites spectrum
great idea and fantastic pictures i would like to see the flyer if possible :-)

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Folks. A place like this should keep me busy for many, many months I hope. The last place I had close to this one I hunted for over a year, and there is still LOTS of wooded area I haven't even seen yet.

top pop top said:

Thanks Top Pop Top.

SgtSki in MI said:
top pop top said:

This headstamp system is still in use. I just stripped a 5.56 round out of my M4 magazine to check. It says "LC 05" which means it was manufactured at the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant in Independence, MO in 2005.

I'm curious though as to what the round you have IS. It looks like a pistol bullet stuck into thhe remains of a fired .30-06 case
-SgtSki

Thanks SgtSki.
Very cool info. The casing on it is pretty fragile. Some of it crumbled away on me. I'm going to give it to the owners. They have one 3-ringer from this property that was actually found by chance.

-MM-

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
Thanks Folks. A place like this should keep me busy for many, many months I hope. The last place I had close to this one I hunted for over a year, and there is still LOTS of wooded area I haven't even seen yet.

top pop top said:

Thanks Top Pop Top.

SgtSki in MI said:
top pop top said:

-SgtSki

Thanks SgtSki.
Very cool info. The casing on it is pretty fragile. Some of it crumbled away on me. I'm going to give it to the owners. They have one 3-ringer from this property that was actually found by chance.

-MM-

Found by chance? Let's hear the story, sounds interesting.

firedup

Jan 28, 2008
Detector(s) used
DFX ,Bullseye 2
:o WOW great sight already have some good finds and still have a lotttttt of hunting to do congrats and good luck.

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Happiness is a Grand New (and brand new) site!

Shoot da lights out, MM.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Found a Dill Mfg. Co. patent for a "Clamp for Use in Patching Tubeless Tires," issued in 1958, which cites an earlier
patent issued on July 13, 1915.

So, your Dill "whatsit" may have something to do with that.

Feb 14, 2006
Delaware
Detector(s) used
DFX, P I PRO, CLASSIC IDX, 3000 D
Awesome site just in time for spring, also looks like a perfect place to find a cache hidding amongst those buildings. Can't wait to see what else you find.

HH
DWB

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
WOW way nice digs and what a great idea. I am originaly from NC and hope to get back home (Fayetteville) and do some detecting around the area soon. What a great place to get permission from. You'll have a career just detecting on that site. Good luck and keeps us posted. Thanks for sharing a great tip and great pics.

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey MM --
Clever idea leaving sase's on mailboxes !! Long ago when I first moved to upstate Ny I was looking for a huntin partner so I went to newstands and put cards with my name and Ph number in the treasure hunting mags...Got a bunch of calls ;D

That is a nice site you got ...I cant wait to see the treasures your gonna be digging there !!!! You are going to clean up on relics and coins !! Maybe another clipped spanish ! ;)

D. 8)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done, my friend! If someone has hunted that area before then they made a BIG mistake by cherrypicking! I feel pretty certain that it wasn't hunted--those larger brass items would've been found in any place with CW history. Nice work!

By the way, my gut feeling on that bullet with the white patina is that it is CW. I don't recognize the type, but there is a little damage to it from either the plow or perhaps even being fired. Can't tell much about it.

-Buckleboy

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Awesome site! I think you will busy for a long time there. That Buffalo is in great shape.

By the way you guys are killing me, I have MD withdrawls. We may not thaw out until July :'(.

Keep detecting for us frozen folks!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Doug, you made excellent use of your "downtime". What a great, old site that will be for you. I'm jealous!! Maybe I'll come over and help you out. I wouldn't mind being one of your "deputy" relic recovery personnel. ;D

Wonder what you'll be finding next. ::) There sure is a lot of land to cover.

Nice job, buddy!!

CAPTN SE
Dan

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So ya had the flu, huh? I told you not to wear those dresses out into the field in winter time, MM! ;D

DANG WHAT A SITE!!!! :o You are very fortunate to get to hunt it!!!! Way to go!!!

Congrats on those finds! Nana ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions